Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 09:05 PM   #1
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

Has anyone tried the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's??

I like the BFG's but I am checking out the Goodyears as they have been given great reviews. They have a 3 ply sidewall too... Any info?
ozxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 09:57 PM   #2
Fletch908
AF Newbie

Great tire. I have been running the 31's since GOX II and love them. They obviously have more road noise then the BFG Long Trails. No issues off road and would purchase them again.
Fletch908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 09:27 AM   #3
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to wqbang
Re: Has anyone tried the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's??

Quote:
Originally posted by ozxterra
I like the BFG's but I am checking out the Goodyears as they have been given great reviews. They have a 3 ply sidewall too... Any info?
I will tell you that on-road, the new BFG MT KM's are great. They are very smooth on the highway, with only minor treadwalking at <3mph. They are a little louder but suprisingly quiet. The onroad handling is actually better that the long trails. I haven't had much time to test them on the trail yet. Their wet/snow traction after siping is quite good. Much better than I had thought it would be. Keep in mind that the GY's are 20% more expensive.
Old 02-01-2002, 07:39 PM   #4
lemsip
AF Newbie

wqbang

What swayed you to get the BFGs in your tire choice ? How much did the siping cost ?

Im about to get new tires with my tax refund and I am having trouble making up my mind, so any input would be welcome.

Thanks.
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 08:03 PM   #5
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

1. Very popular and proven tire.
2. Can be found in stock at thousands of tire stores around the world.
3. 25% less expensive than GY MTR's.
4. I believe GY MTR's run small.
5. Good price at costco.
6. Superb road manners. Actually rides better than my Long trails did. Surprisingly quiet.
7. My wife dug them. (bonus)

Siping costs $10 per tire at Discount Tire stores. Les Schwab can sipe tires as well for a similar price.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:13 PM   #6
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I think I might go for the tried and true BFG MT's. I love my AT's and my only beef with them is that they gum up in mud and snow. Otherwise they rock. I imagine with the MT's more aggressive tread I would be quite happy. I saw the Goodyears reviewed well in some four wheeler mags but I think they were put up against the previous version of the BFG MT's.

Cheers

Oz
Old 02-04-2002, 05:53 PM   #7
accasbel
AF Newbie

We've been running the GY MT/Rs for several months and we'd have to say they have been worth every dollar(even the extra ones). Most of the Phoenix area trails are nothing more than sharp-edged rock and the tires have yet to get punctured. At first I kept the trail pressure too high, but at 18-20 they'll claw up almost anything. Now if only we had lockers to keep both sides pulling...

Here are some pic's of the MT/Rs doing their job.

accasbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 07:20 PM   #8
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

Hmmmm, looks damn fine. Im still not sure the cost over the BFG's is worth it. I do a lot of snow driving and I hear they are pretty good. Thanks for the pics - thats what I was after.

Cheers
Old 02-05-2002, 05:25 PM   #9
fabienX
AF Newbie

'(re: MTR) Have them and love them. I was curious how they handled on the snow and after a few hours of snow driving (fairly deep stuff in close to Awanda provincial park), I can honestly say they rock (no pun intended). Personally (I stress that), I think the GY MTR tire is superior to BFG in performance and I also think it looks a little better but you can't go wrong either way.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:12 PM   #10
Ag_xterra
AF Regular

I have the MTR's in a 32x11.50x15 and love them. The side wall lugs make them look more aggressive than the New BFG MT KM's IMO. They hum alittle at highway speeds but arent annoying. So far i have about 12k miles on them and they are holding up well. My only complaint about them is that the tread blocks have torn when wheeled alot but i guess that can be expected. I've torn portions of 2 of my tread blocks from one tire so far. I dont know if its just tire rack doing this but they actually have the 32" BFG KM's listed as being more expensive than the 32" MTR's.
Old 02-06-2002, 01:25 PM   #11
lemsip
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ag_xterra
I dont know if its just tire rack doing this but they actually have the 32" BFG KM's listed as being more expensive than the 32" MTR's.
Discount Tire also has the MTR 31's at a price very close to the BFG, and I think cheaper on the 32's.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/dt...ndex=2#anchor1
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 01:30 PM   #12
ozxterra
AF Enthusiast

Cool, the link doesnt seem to want to work though.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:02 PM   #13
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

At discount tire stores (parent company to discount tire direct), they have the BFG MT KM's for $133 a piece. Still $15 cheaper than the MTR.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtc/find...odeIndex=38111

Costco can order the BFG MT KM's in a 32 for $130 per tire.

I don't know what is up with Discounttiredirect.com with their screwy BFG pricing.
Old 02-06-2002, 03:44 PM   #14
Ag_xterra
AF Regular

that link you just posted listed the BFG KM's as $154 ea. is there another site that has them for $133 each?
Old 02-06-2002, 04:35 PM   #15
wqbang
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Ag_xterra
that link you just posted listed the BFG KM's as $154 ea. is there another site that has them for $133 each?
Very strange... When I navigate to it through their website, it comes up as $133, but when I click on the link I provided, it comes up as $154! perhaps it is regional?

Regardless, I got a quote from them at one of their stores for $133 a piece.

I still think that Costco is the best deal though. Their mounting, lifetime balancing, and roadhazard is much cheaper.