Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 02:25 PM   #1
Chris_McCracken
AF Regular

Ho' made rear bumper

A turd of my very own. Finally got together all the parts. Started cutting and welding last night. Here's what I have so far:

Main body is 2x6x0.25 rect tube. 2" receiver built in. Shackle mounts & tire carrier will follow. It will go all the way across the rear of the truck. Stock endcaps will be chopped down to size, or will be replaced with steel versions (ala Calmini style). Its a *little* on the heavy side, but will be bomb-proof, and have an awesome departure angle.
Chris_McCracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 06:46 AM   #2
4wheelinX
AF Regular

Looks good...

Looks good so far. Nice shop you got there. Looks like you have the same problem most of us have. That is, what to do with that stock bumper. (and all the other spare stock parts, hehehe) Good luck.
4wheelinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 08:12 AM   #3
Chris_McCracken
AF Regular

Yeah, the stock bumper is in the "scrap metal" pile right now. I tossed the plastic part, it was pretty much trashed from offroading anyway. In the upper left of the picture, on the shelves, you can just barely make out some step rails. Took them off at day one. Free if anyone want to pay shipping. Actually that whole shelf is "extras". I'm going to try to get the bumper mounted up this weekend when I put on my body lift. We'll see how time goes, though.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:41 PM   #4
rrdstarr
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up Nice Job!

Chris that bumper looks like a great job! It's exactly what I want in a rear bumper! I just want to be able to pull some one with it! Don't want the tire carrier! I'd even skip the D-ring shackles if the 2" hitch is super secure! Where are your licsence plate and lights going to attach?
rrdstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 01:28 PM   #5
Chris_McCracken
AF Regular

Zip ties?

Hadn't thought that far yet. I'll figure something out. I'm sure at first it will be zip ties or duct tape.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:29 PM   #6
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Yo yo yo, my "Ho" made me this bumper.

Looks good! It even looks kind of like it has the factory curves. Nice Millermatic too. That is on my wants list. I currently have an old stick welder.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 09:52 PM   #7
Schludwiller
XTerra Guy

Re: Zip ties?

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_McCracken
Hadn't thought that far yet. I'll figure something out. I'm sure at first it will be zip ties or duct tape.
Heh. I still have my license plate hanging on with zip ties. (6 months now). Although ChuckH just dropped off my new holder with light.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:09 AM   #8
Chris_McCracken
AF Regular

I got the Ho-made from a restaurant near me (a real "down-home" kind of place) that has a specialty of "Ho-made mached potatoes", and they actually spell it like that. Cracks me up everytime I see it. It doesn't curve like the factory bumper, its straight across. I would sure as hell like to see a machine that could put a subtle bend in 2x6x0.25 steel. The bottom corners are notched, however, to give it a nicer appearance. The MillerMatic 175 is great. If you get one, you MUST spring for the 240V model (175+), not the 110V model (135). The 110V is for sheet metal. I actually stick welded the back side of the receiver, as a good stick weld is stronger than a MIG weld (no cold starts that introduce porosity). I don't think strength is an issue at all though, just wanted to try something different. Used a Lincoln Buzz Box in AC at 175 amps with 1/8" 6013 rods. The quality was very close to the results of the MIG. The 6013 is a very clean rod. More pics soon... I have the mounting brackets about half done. Haven't had a lot of time to work on it this weekend, as I was putting on a 2" body lift.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:29 AM   #9
ScottG
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris_McCracken
The MillerMatic 175 is great. If you get one, you MUST spring for the 240V model (175+), not the 110V model (135). The 110V is for sheet metal. I actually stick welded the back side of the receiver, as a good stick weld is stronger than a MIG weld (no cold starts that introduce porosity). I don't think strength is an issue at all though, just wanted to try something different. Used a Lincoln Buzz Box in AC at 175 amps with 1/8" 6013 rods. The quality was very close to the results of the MIG. The 6013 is a very clean rod. More pics soon... I have the mounting brackets about half done. Haven't had a lot of time to work on it this weekend, as I was putting on a 2" body lift.
Thanks for the tips! I'm just starting out and don't know a whole lot about welding. I have been using a handy-down Craftsman stick welder. I have made two Jeep bumpers and a battery tray so far. My welds seem to be strong enough, but they look like bird poop! I had to do alot of ginding to make my bumpers look decent.

I have a good friend who recently got a MillerMatic 185. He too was telling me to get at least a 175. After using a MillerMatic, I hate to go back to using a stick welder. I was able to make beautiful welds with my friends welder, even with my limited knowlege of welding. I have been debating the size issue, as my next door neighbor has a little 110V Lincoln that he seems to weld anything and everything with.

Again nice job on the bumper. Are you relocating your spare, or is it still going ride under the truck?
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 10:27 AM   #10
Chris_McCracken
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG

Again nice job on the bumper. Are you relocating your spare, or is it still going ride under the truck?
I will [eventually] be relocating my spare from the hatch to the bumper. The 32x11.50 doesn't fit underneath with the hitch. That part of the bumper may be awhile, as I want to use bent round tubing and need to invest in a tubing bender for that.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail