Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #1
thenextyou
AF Newbie

3.0 Duratec MPG

Hi all, I have this question posted in the Mazda Tribute forums but I'm hoping an Escape owner might be able to answer this since its the same vehicle. I have a 2005 Tribute with a 3.0 Duratec engine and its an automatic 4 wheel drive. I am averaging around 12 MPG. I have replaced the plugs, oxygen sensors, I run synthetic oil and I don't exactly have a led foot. I have been doing some research with other people that have a 3.0 Duratec and poor gas mileage and I came across someone with similar issues and they replaced the fuel pressure sensor. Does this sound like it could be a possibility? I don't want to throw another $70 away on something I don't need. Other than that the car runs great lots of power nice smooth running engine.
thenextyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: 3.0 Duratec MPG

The two times I had terrible mileage were One, when my IAC got loaded up and needed cleaning. Two, when my EGR exploded, might only be cracked for you if that is an issue. Mine can get 28 hwy for a long trip not going too fast. 22 is pretty average for it. 3.0 4wd wilderness package(read that as larger aggressive off-road tires and tall roof rack) '02.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
thenextyou
AF Newbie

Thanks for the ideas. I will check those tomorrow after work and report back.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #4
Goza
AF Newbie

I also had poor mileage with mine when I first bought it. I had a check engine light on though (misfire on 2 and 5). Replaced the coil packs ( and plugs)and it did get a little better. Still not as good as it should be.
Goza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
thenextyou
AF Newbie

Sorry it has been so long since I have replied between being sick and working I haven't really had a lot of time to get on this. Since I have wrote last I have checked and replaced vacuum lines,fuel filter, front wheel bearings, map sensor, oxygen sensors, mass air flow sensor, and found the parking brake was rubbing. Nothing has even remotely changed the fuel mileage. Replacing the mass air flow sensor and oxygen sensors has taken care of the lean code that would show up every now and then but otherwise there is nothing the computer can see wrong.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #6
65comet
AF Enthusiast

I should have expanded my EGR exploding story. The reason it exploded was because the two pre-catalytic converter exhaust manifolds started shedding their guts and clogged up the main catalytic converter and caused back pressure strong enough to explode the EGR. The clogging will greatly decrease mileage. The main cat can be removed and tapped against the ground to get those pieces to come out. When pointed toward the sun like a telescope, you should be able to see some daylight. If it is too clogged, it has to be replaced.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:33 AM   #7
Mustang_Driver
AF Regular

the last mileage check i did i averaged around 18.5-20MPG on the 3.0L DOHC in my 2008 Escape 4WD in the city
I am in canada so bear with me here

148.4KM=92.211485Miles
22.499Liters= 4.95 US Gallons

92.211485/4.95=18.62858283MPG
Not too bad for a 4WD

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escape | Maverick | Escape Hybrid