Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Magazine Critic > Car and Driver
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792
Dislikes American cars?

I have been subscribed to Car & Driver for about a year and I have found a very aggravating trend. Car & Driver Magazine dislikes american made cars plain and simple. I have noticed that they tend to dislike anything with a GM logo on it more than the rest.
I honestly can't stand this magazine because of that. A Damn import could have the engine fall out of it and still win a test. But just because the navigation system or the onstar service is annoying in an american made car they put it in last place. This really aggravates me. In the year that I have subscribed to this I have read maybe at the most 5 to 6 articles that give an American car even a little credit.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

ya, what the hecks up wit that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can see some of their annoyances with american cars are correct, but alot of the times i see imports wining when it should be teh other way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Real emo kids kill themselves.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
EvoZero
AF Newbie

Re: Dislikes American cars?

I think it's all part of their secret plot to put GM out of business. It's working so well, too! I mean, look at how much GM's marketshare has dropped in the past couple of decades! It's all Car and Driver's fault!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2004, 01:51 AM   #4
HighRev87
Banned

I to subscribe to Car and Driver. I noticed the very common trend that many American sport cars get bashed. However, many of the problems that they argue, I can agree with. They really are not fully import either. They are more European. It seems anything from BMW, Mercedes, or any Exotic will always top thier list.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:43 PM   #5
Shaguar47
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shaguar47

I'll admit to it too! There are really good american cars out there. Dodge neon and Focus are good cars! But when it comes GM, they put the let down on them. Imports aren't always the best. Mitsu. is not doing good and they ranked it a good value. What the f#$%?

Current -- Ex to Si. It's Overdone, but who gives a crap. I don't!
Old 08-28-2004, 10:34 AM   #6
HighRev87
Banned

Re: Re: Dislikes American cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaguar47
Dodge neon and Focus are good cars!
Well im glad that the top all american sport cars made your list.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:09 PM   #7
Shaguar47
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Shaguar47

I look at it this way, just cause I drive a honda doesn't make me a honda lover all the way. I still like dodge and ford too. I am an american here. It's in our car heritage.

Current -- Ex to Si. It's Overdone, but who gives a crap. I don't!
Old 09-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #8
HighRev87
Banned

I wasnt saying you were a Honda fan, just found it funny that you talked about neons and a focus when refering to American cars.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #9
deadbolt_35
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to deadbolt_35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRev87
I to subscribe to Car and Driver. I noticed the very common trend that many American sport cars get bashed. However, many of the problems that they argue, I can agree with. They really are not fully import either. They are more European. It seems anything from BMW, Mercedes, or any Exotic will always top thier list.

maybe that's because europeans build amazing cars. not like that has anything to do with the domestic dissing issue anyway. how often do you ever see an american car in the same comparison as anything from germany?
domestic cars don't do well in car and driver because it's a magazine for driving enthusiasts. the majority of american cars are boring, uninspired and sterile. car and driver doesn't care how many cup holders a car has or what it's side impact safety rating was.

[edit]

sorry to bring back a dead thread, i didn't look until after i posted, but the other side of the argument needed to be brought up
Old 08-04-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Re: Re: Dislikes American cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt_35
maybe that's because europeans build amazing cars.
Yeah, those Fiats are incredible.

American cars are improving.

The new Mustang convertible's chassis has more than twice the torsional stiffness of the previous Mustang convertible.

The new convertible was designed alongside the new coupe.

Car & Driver ranked its rigidity on par with a BMW 3 series convertible.

The new Mustang has earned high marks from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, with five stars for the driver and passenger front crash test, four stars for side impact, and five stars for rollover.

Check this article

New Mustang

The new Mustang won 5 races in Grand-Am Cup this season and Ford won the Championship.

check here

http://www.multimaticmotorsports.com/mustang/index.html

http://www.grandamerican.com

Ford has shown their all-new 3.5 liter V-6.

check the link

All-new 3.5 liter V-6 engine

Ford needs to produce the Shelby GR-1. It looks like the Shelby Daytona Coupe which is shown below. It would use parts from the Ford GT if it were built.

Daytona Continental 2,000 km Race, Daytona, FL, 1965.

Dan Gurney drove this very Shelby Daytona Coupe.

Notice the air intake of both the Shelby Daytona Coupe and the Ford Shelby GR-1.

The 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 will be the fastest, most powerful, and best engineered factory Mustang ever built.

The production car will change slightly from the car shown below.

The new Chrysler 300 has generated more exictement, sales, and awards than just about any other sedan over the past decade.

check this link

Chrysler 300C SRT8

300C SRT8 shown below

The new Dodge Magnum has also generated more sales and excitement than just about any other station wagon EVER offered in North America.

check here

Dodge Magnum SRT8

The new Cadillac STS-V is nice.

check here

New STS-V

and here

469 hp Cadillac STS-V

"This supercharger is worthy of special note - engineers were happy to tell us that this blower operates with some 30% less drag than the Ford GT's supercharger, and the intercooler has 50 cooling fins per inch length of the pipeline."

- from motorsportscenter.com

Here is a video of the new STS-V

STS-V video

The 2006 Corvette Z06 is awesome.

check the link

New Corvette Z06

Check this link about the 2006 Pontiac Solstice

New 2006 Pontiac Solstice

The new Pontiac Solstice will be raced in Grand-Am Cup. Pontiac has more than 15,000 orders for the Solstice.

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. says it plans to race its Pontiac Solstice in future Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Showroom Stock B-Class races against the Mazda Miata and BMW M3.

The auto maker also will use the Solstice to compete on the Grand Am Cup ST-Class racing circuit in 2006, according to Mark Reuss, executive director of GM's Performance Div.

Reuss says the Solstice that will enter the racing circuit will be the '07 Solstice GT Coupe.

“We have the '06 Pontiac Solstice, (and) right now the car we're introducing doesn't have a roof, so look for that to change,” he tells attendees at the Society of Automotive Engineers conference here.

Reuss says while the Stock-B Class has been dominated by Mazda's Miata, as well as the BMW Z4 and Acura RSX, he expects the Solstice to “take that championship” when the car hits the Stock-B circuit next year.

The Solstice Coupe also will compete in the Grand Am ST Class racing circuit against the BMW 330 and Mazda RX-8 next year, Reuss adds.

The experience gained on the racing circuit will continue to play a vital role in developing performance derivatives of future GM products, he says.

- wardsauto.com

The new Chevrolet Cobalt is huge improvement over the Cavalier.

check here

New Chevy Cobalt

It has already won three races in Grand-Am Cup.

"Just a few miles down the road from the factory that builds the Chevrolet Cobalt and with several Cobalt builders in attendance, Andy Lally and co-driver Jamie Holtom co-drove the No. 00 Georgian Bay Motorsports Cobalt to a popular Sport Touring (ST) class victory in the Grand-Am Cup 200 at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

Lally kept the pressure on leader Don Salama in the No. 95 Turner Motorsport 330i throughout the closing minutes and pounced on the opportunity to take the lead when Salama made contact with the lapped No. 20 Nuzzo Motorsports Mini Cooper of Tony Nuzzo with fewer than four laps remaining to secure the victory.

"It was all about managing traffic," Lally said. "Don (Salama) got blocked by a slower car and I was able to slip by and get that win. It was great to be able to do that in full view of the 600 plus UAW partners here from the Lordstown, Ohio plant where the Cobalt SS Supercharged are made."

Holtom, who qualified the car sixth in the ST class, avoided trouble early before handing control to Lally during a full-course caution at approximately the halfway point of the race. Holtom gave credit to the car for keeping him out of trouble during his stint.

"The torque of the Cobalt engine helped me out of a tight hole when a slower car spun coming out of the esses (early in the race)," Holtom said. "The brakes were good, too."

The win was the second of the season for each of the Georgian Bay Motorsports drivers. Holtom won the Mosport 200 in June with his father, Jim, and Lally won with the elder Holtom in Round 4 at Watkins Glen International."

- grandamerican.com

Cobalts at Mosport

Mosport

Last edited by Jaguar D-Type; 12-19-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #11
deadbolt_35
AF Regular

you know what i mean, i suppose i should've been more specific and just said german and italian cars....and while we're on the subject of fiat, they must not be too shabby if a 58 person panel in europe chose the Fiat Panda as the european car of the year in 2004
Old 08-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #12
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Just take a look at this gorgeous, fun, new Mercedes-Benz R class.

MB lost over $1,000,000 in the first quarter this year. VW lost over $1,000,000 in North American last year.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:44 PM   #13
deadbolt_35
AF Regular

yeah, 302hp 5.0L V-8 sounds pretty fun to me...even if it is a minivan (despite mercedes tagging it as a "sports tourer")

i'm not sure what the sales losses have anything to do with it, do we even need to get started on domestic losses?
Old 08-05-2005, 04:44 PM   #14
thecackster
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to thecackster

Thats One mini-van I wouldn't mind having. 300 HP...I think the kids wouldn't mind being dropped off at school either

Flickr My Website
Old 08-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #15
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792

That's not a minivan and 300HP from a V8 isn't anything to really brag about either. As I've said before, if you want boring and sterile look at toyota and honda....