Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
blackcell3
AF Newbie

Exhaust, Custom or Premade?

ive been doing alot of looking into aftermarket exhaust systems for my '99 SL. im wondering what is thought of various types of exhaust setups (like the borla and other premade catbacks), or if custom jobs are preferred... is it possible to acually get a nice "growl" out of these cars without the annoying fart and raspy noises? if so what is needed? Any help would be very appreciated.
blackcell3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
2old
AF Regular

Re: Exhaust, Custom or Premade?

The difference is 3 words:

Mandrel Bent Tubing

If you can find a shop with a Mandrel bender then you can go with custom which lets you pick out the exhaust you want (and tends to be cheaper)... Otherwise it's better pre-packaged.

In our cars the exhaust is longish so it actually pretty good about getting a good rumble (anyone remember harmonics form high school physics?). If I were you I would wait until you have the money and get a downpipe, high flow cat and catback all at once. That way you can size match (I personally would use 2.5" all the way back) the tubing to prevent shock losses.

Also if it doesn't make the sound you want you can have a shop splice in a resonator later on.
2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
Twizted_3KGT
AF Enthusiast

Be sure to keep a resonator or glass pack in there as N/A's tend to be raspy if you have the exhaust completely open.

I prefer ICH.
1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - 269AWHP/290AWTQ (Mustang Dyno) - 12.616@106.74 - 1.756 60ft. - 8.06@83.59 (Best TDO4-9B Time) - Driver Mod - IPS TD04-19TL - SPEC 4+ - Wiseco Pistons - 3SX Custom Forged Rods - PMP FMIC + Much More.
Twizted_3KGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
liquidPunk
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to liquidPunk

I must concur with everything that too old stated. Esp on getting the high flow cat and the downpipe all at once.
- LED "Snake Eyes" - Lightweight Crank Pulley
-More to come-

Your 3000GT is the 5095th out of 6964 . Only 41exactly identical

Bloody Knuckles from Changing Fuel Filter Crew Member #1
liquidPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
blackcell3
AF Newbie

ok the local muffler shop said they can do the mandrel bent tubeing and all that, they said putting a glasspack on as a premuffler followed by a flowmaster (or other) would sound best in their opinons, my question is will this acually sound best? gotta figure none of the muffler shop people own 3kgt's. and also for the other stuff the downpipe is no problem, could gutting the precats add some good noise? or would that leave me with the raspy crap, and would a test pipe or a high flow cat sound best? (oh btw the shop said they could do the flowmasters, glasspack, and the custom pipeing for around 350 bucks, is that fair?)
Old 09-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
mistermoonpie
AF Regular

I recently had my exhaust doneon my 97 SL, what I did is just had the mechanics cut off everything behind the converter, then add a pipe that splits into two pipes, each one leading to where the stock tips used to be. I just had them put one of those mufflers that acts as an exhaust tip on the end of each of those pipes. Looks great, sounds better than great( and I am a firm hater of the raspy sound) and it cost me exactly 350 also. I couldn't be happier with the outcome, and all I can figure is that the idea the mechanics gave you would be more or less the same outcome. kinda like one of these coming out the end of each side, except mine look better IMO
mistermoonpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #7
blackcell3
AF Newbie

just got another quote on another system today, this guy is asking 600 for essentially a full reworking of everything back from the cat, he said put a flowmaster right off the cat, and then the large ammount of pipeing left until the back of the car and maybe a resonator in there would get me the best sound. its a fully stainless steel setup, all welded no clamps, this a rip or a good deal?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
Twizted_3KGT
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell3
just got another quote on another system today, this guy is asking 600 for essentially a full reworking of everything back from the cat, he said put a flowmaster right off the cat, and then the large ammount of pipeing left until the back of the car and maybe a resonator in there would get me the best sound. its a fully stainless steel setup, all welded no clamps, this a rip or a good deal?
That would be a complete rip-off. Go check out 3si.org, search for exhausts. You could get a titanium cat-back for less than that...which if you're looking for good sound, there is no comparison.
1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - 269AWHP/290AWTQ (Mustang Dyno) - 12.616@106.74 - 1.756 60ft. - 8.06@83.59 (Best TDO4-9B Time) - Driver Mod - IPS TD04-19TL - SPEC 4+ - Wiseco Pistons - 3SX Custom Forged Rods - PMP FMIC + Much More.
Twizted_3KGT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth