Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 924/944/968
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #16
jimh19
AF Newbie

Re: Interior gas smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchis
Hey guys, new to the forum here and have a question that I hope someone may be able to answer. I have a 944 N/A with 56k original miles and seem to have a strong odor of gas in the interior. Is there some air filter or charcoal canister that needs to be changed intermittently on these cars? Or is there any thing that can be done about this smell? Thanks guys

Andrew
Andrew, I know that your original post was done quite some time ago, but I just had a similar problem with a 944 Turbo race car which I recently purchased. After filling up, there was a strong smell of raw gasoline coming from the rear hatch area (I was on the track at the time, which was a little unsettling). Turns out that there is a plastic overflow tube connected inside the rear fender to the neck of the gas filler port, which is routed down and out through the bottom of the fender well. Mine was disconnected from the filler port, which allowed the gas to spill into the fender well. Also, it was not correctly routed out of the car. After you notice the smell, look on the right rear fender behind the wheel opening, to see if there are oily/gas streaks (also around the gas filler door). If so, then the disconnected overflow tube is likely to be your problem. It is virtually a no cost fix, and is easily accessible behind the carpet (a mechanic reconnected the tube, and crimped it on securely). Problem solved, but still probably a good idea not to top off when filling up.
jimh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #17
odojak
AF Newbie

Re: Interior gas smell

i had a same problem
not any more
thanks
odojak is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 924/944/968