Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 06:44 AM   #1
blackeye_1986
AF Newbie

Question Weight???

How much weight can you loose on the VR-4? How much would this cost and what effect would it have on a 1/4 mile???
blackeye_1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #2
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
You can shave alot if you have unlimited funds, but for the most part a carbon fiber hood, stripped out exhaust, lighter rims and remove the back seat and spare and you'll shave up to a couple hundred pounds. It'll subtract a tenth or two off your time.

Don't bother with the lightening of the load until you've run the gambit on performance mods. Those will give you the best bang for your buck.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
ikOnone
AF Enthusiast

also there are carbon fiber rear hatches and that light weight glass (lexon i think) that you could put in the back, that helps a lot. another biggie is switching to lighter seats. the stock driver's seat is like 70 pounds and the passenger's is like 35. i put in new seats that weigh something like 16 pounds each. also a carbon fiber drive shaft reduces the rotational mass a lot. you can take out all the active stuff too, there is some weight. if you want to really have a light car and do not care about anything else, you can pull the speakers, carpet, interior panels, etc.

Quote:
Don't bother with the lightening of the load until you've run the gambit on performance mods. Those will give you the best bang for your buck.
this is true if you want straight line performance but not necessarily if you are into the twisties. in the latter case, weight reduction and suspension are key! if all you car about is drags, then power adders are a lot cheaper way of doing things. i think i once heard somewhere that a 10 hp gain is more or less equivalent to taking 100 pounds off the car.

1992 3000GT VR-4 TOTALED
1991 figi blue VR-4 lots to come...
1993 civic hatchback 35-40 mpg of slow reliable daily driver
ikOnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Re: Weight???

have you switched to the carbon fiber driveshaft, i think I saw one for a grand awhile back. Haven't heard of anyone doing it though.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:13 PM   #5
ikOnone
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Weight???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igovert500
have you switched to the carbon fiber driveshaft, i think I saw one for a grand awhile back. Haven't heard of anyone doing it though.
no but i have heard nothing but good things. it is a really cool mod because not only does it help put a lot more power to the ground but you also put a lot less strain on the drivetain.

there are several different kinds that i have heard of. there is a one piece and either a 2 piece or a 3 piece (or both???) but i think they are all a grand. i think that the one piece is supposed to be better but you get some vibration sometimes but if you get vibration, if you take it out and rotate it 90 degrees and put it back in it gets rid of it (don't ask me how because that makes no sense to me).

1992 3000GT VR-4 TOTALED
Old 03-07-2004, 04:13 AM   #6
h3llphyre
AF Newbie

gut the car. It makes a huge difference, but will delegate the car to a race car, as it isn't nearly as enjoyable to drive for long periods of time anymore. My RT/TT is gutted and has plastic racing seats. It made a huge difference.

Don't bother removing JUST the back seats, they really weigh nothing. The spare doesn't really weigh that much either.
h3llphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
The1NamedMarc
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to The1NamedMarc

You can save around 50 pounds alone by buying new driver/passenger seats. Again, the money is well spent somewhere other then that though.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
Hotshot8792
AF Enthusiast

100lbs = .1 second on 1/4

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL-TT Automatic - Black
3.05 L Arias Forged Pistons, Pauter Forged Rods, DR Stage 3 heads, 3SX TD05 kit w/ E16G's, CX Racing FMIC, 550cc injectors, Walbro 255lph pump, + supporting mods

1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 - Black
Intake & Boost Controller so far

2006 Sea-Doo RXP Supercharged, Updraded SC, IC + supporting mods
Hotshot8792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 03:16 PM   #9
Nesryn
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Nesryn

Yeah... I would use weight as a last resort after I did everything else to my car. I think you go farther with putting more power into your motor than you do with losing weight. At least early on anyways.
Nesryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:15 PM   #10
h3llphyre
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Weight???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesryn
Yeah... I would use weight as a last resort after I did everything else to my car. I think you go farther with putting more power into your motor than you do with losing weight. At least early on anyways.
Depends how extreme you want to go. Shaving 50lbs isn't really worth it, shaving 800lbs is. That's almost a complete second off the ET. Now add 7 more pounds of boost and the car will sit there and burn all four tires if you aren't careful and rip off low 12, high 11 second passes.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:13 PM   #11
ikOnone
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Weight???

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3llphyre
Depends how extreme you want to go. Shaving 50lbs isn't really worth it, shaving 800lbs is. That's almost a complete second off the ET. Now add 7 more pounds of boost and the car will sit there and burn all four tires if you aren't careful and rip off low 12, high 11 second passes.
shaving 800 lbs is a lot harder than doing a few hundred dollers of power adding mods that do the same thing though. i would say that for the most part, weight reduction is only good for the twisties (where it is very important) but really, if you have a street car, the amount of gutting that would take would really not be worth it. i would say that a few cf parts, light seats, gutting a few things that add weight but you do not need (aka NOT a/c, interior, sound system, etc.) would be about as far as i would go.

has trevor even shaved off 800 lbs???? (and do you all know who i am talking about?)

1992 3000GT VR-4 TOTALED
Old 03-07-2004, 11:55 PM   #12
h3llphyre
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Weight???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikOnone
shaving 800 lbs is a lot harder than doing a few hundred dollers of power adding mods that do the same thing though. i would say that for the most part, weight reduction is only good for the twisties (where it is very important) but really, if you have a street car, the amount of gutting that would take would really not be worth it. i would say that a few cf parts, light seats, gutting a few things that add weight but you do not need (aka NOT a/c, interior, sound system, etc.) would be about as far as i would go.

has trevor even shaved off 800 lbs???? (and do you all know who i am talking about?)
Yeah, i do agree. In order to shave that much weight, you more or less have to make the car miserable to drive... its loud, uncomfy, and has no heat or A/C. Anything that wasn't need to make the car drive came out of the stealth. I still have to convert to roll up windows, or removable lexan. Once the cage goes into the car, the support beams (one under the dash and the other connecting between the rear struts) are coming out. Probably at the end of the summer, as the car is going away, replacement panels will go in, replacing the hood, the hatch, and possibly the doors and fenders. most people laugh at the car, because they don't understand taking a car like that and stripping it (including the skirts and wing). But, once I started doing it, it was actually rather fun. I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, because it changes the nature of the car.

Of course, the next step is either DSM brakes or base model brakes, so I can put smaller rims on the car with some drag radials or slicks. 14B's are going on soon as well. I wanna see how well a 2 bolt motor can hold up to 25-28psi.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:22 PM   #13
duchguy
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to duchguy
weight

Let us all loose a hundred pounds and lets be a .1 sec faster!!
duchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:31 PM   #14
ikOnone
AF Enthusiast

Re: weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchguy
Let us all loose a hundred pounds and lets be a .1 sec faster!!
let us accomplish this goal with the atkins diet

1992 3000GT VR-4 TOTALED