Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Cougar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
dallas6916
AF Newbie

Unhappy 99 cougar no o/d, skips 2nd gear, transaxle light

I have a 99 cougar with 2.5 v6 automatic. 130,000 miles. The transmission still pulls like its ok but it winds out in 1st gear and shifts into 3rd. Then it does not shift outta 3rd (no o/d). I'm getting the transaxle light with the exclamation point in the middle of it flashes. Also "O/D off" light flashes on/off.

I originally thought it stayed in 2nd gear once it shifted, but just picked it up from a mechanic and he had his analyzer hooked up to it and it said it was in 3rd gear. He wasnt real sure about how to fix it.

I changed the turbine speed sensor - did not help. I Cant find this exact problem on any forums ive been on.

I bought the car in februrary and the car has been ok til now but the guy i bought it from said he had the transmission fluid flushed and filled. Fluid level is still good.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by dallas6916; 08-20-2008 at 01:27 PM.
dallas6916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: 99 cougar no o/d, skips 2nd gear, transaxle light

You can drop the transmission pan and install a new solenoid pack I did this on my 1997 F-150 with E40D I cleaned the valve body and changed a filter screen. Basically the solenoids were held in by bolts with torx heads. Unplug the pack before you remove. I wouldn't suggest doing the valve body without a lift and a parts cleaner. Plus having done one before.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:01 AM   #3
dallas6916
AF Newbie

Thats what my mechanic was saying but he said it dont have a transmission pan. Does that mean the transmission needs pulled to check the valve body/solenoid pack?
Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

I would use a flashlight and look as I never saw one without a pan. Stop at Ford parts and ask they have microfilm and will probably show you a picture if you ask. If they don't throw codes about all you can do is either change or get a rebuilt. Normally if you pull the fluid and clean the pan the fluid will smell burned or you will have trash in the pan if bad.
Call Auto Zone or Advanced and price a transmission filter and pan gasket for your car.
I checked J C Whitney and they listed a filter and gasket. They said it was cast aluminum so your mechanic didn't notice it as most are steel.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
dallas6916
AF Newbie

I'm not sure now it may all be enclosed. It's at a different shop now so i'm unable to see it now - they called me today and told me they wanted to change the o2 sensor. He said he wanted to take that outta the equation and said it could put the car in "limp mode". Idk about that cuz that o2 sensor has been bad since i bought the car and just recently started having problems shifting. I dont think the o2 sensor would have anything to do with it shifting like it is. Does any one know about this?

Thank you!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
amatthews1553
AF Newbie

i have a 2000 couger that does something similar. it shifts fine then after the car is running down the highway after about 15-20 min it has the O/D off light flash then it goes away then the transaxle light comes on flashing.... when its on i think it kips the 2nd gear because it jerks pretty bad then the next gears it jerks but not nearly as bad. but when i shut it off and let it sit for a while every thing goes back to normal. my brother looked at it, he said he thinks it could be a solinoid or a sensor. i took it to the shop tonight for inspection on monday.
amatthews1553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 PM   #7
amatthews1553
AF Newbie

i have a 2000 couger that does something similar. it shifts fine then after the car is running down the highway after about 15-20 min it has the O/D off light flashes then it goes away then the transaxle light comes on flashing.... when the light is on i think it skips the 2nd gear because it jerks pretty bad then the next gears it jerks but not nearly as bad. but when i shut it off and let it sit for a while every thing goes back to normal. my brother looked at it, he said he thinks it could be a solinoid or a sensor. i took it to the shop tonight for inspection on monday.
amatthews1553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
dallas6916
AF Newbie

Mine ended up being the tranny was bad. Took it to a transmission shop and they were able to tell me if it was internal or not. I found a used tranny at a junkyard with 77k miles. It cost 325 for installation and everything is all good now. JGood luck!!
Old 02-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
TheBigfut
AF Newbie

Reason why the best remedy is to have the transmission replaced or overhauled with known good is because the filter and selonoids are only accessible internally. We are looking for a trans now due to this issue.
TheBigfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

A lot of fords have a short in the wiring in the shift lever. I'm not sure this is your problem but is something you could check. More common with the shifter between the front seats.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #11
missy7!
AF Newbie

im having a similar problem with my 2000 Mercury Cougar. at 50,000 miles my transaxle light and check engine light came on and then the car would shift violently.
i took it to the dealership and they said it was either the torque convertor or solenoid valve. when i took it for a second opinion they said it was the solenoid valve so we replaced that and as i was taking it home the same problem happened all over again.
now it's in the shop again where its been stuck for a week and the shop and the ford dealership both have no idea whats wrong with it.
if any one has any ideas please help!
missy7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
TylerJaxson
AF Newbie

Missy if you have not fixed your hard shifting problem yet try the Neutral Safety Switch, its a sensor that sits right on top of your transmission, i had exact problem...took me changing all three sensors before figuring it out. Only about $41.00
TylerJaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
TylerJaxson
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy7! View Post
im having a similar problem with my 2000 Mercury Cougar. at 50,000 miles my transaxle light and check engine light came on and then the car would shift violently.
i took it to the dealership and they said it was either the torque convertor or solenoid valve. when i took it for a second opinion they said it was the solenoid valve so we replaced that and as i was taking it home the same problem happened all over again.
now it's in the shop again where its been stuck for a week and the shop and the ford dealership both have no idea whats wrong with it.
if any one has any ideas please help!
Missy if you have not fixed your hard shifting problem yet try the Neutral Safety Switch, its a sensor that sits right on top of your transmission, i had exact problem...took me changing all three sensors before figuring it out. Only about $41.00
TylerJaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #14
missy7!
AF Newbie

Thanks for the advice! And no it hasn't been fixed yet so i'm actually looking into the neutral safety switch now...just curious did you ever get the code for the problem from your cars computer?
missy7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #15
Danjordan69
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 cougar car ran fine till alternator went bad had friend replace it after he pulled axle and put in new alternator the transmission slips . It goes to first good when in second it slips never had a problem with the trans till alternator was replaced . Can anyone help? My car has od and I have no lights on.
Danjordan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Cougar