Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Cougar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
bobblasz
AF Newbie

2002 Cougar soft Brakes

2002 Cougar 2.6L - Persistent problem w/ Spongy Brake pedal. Conventional Bleeding (several slow 1/2 pedal pumps and hold) shows NO Air Bubbles from each wheel Caliper from Rt Rear to Lft Front. Even tried 'cycling' the ABS Module several times by 'jamming' on the brakes while driving and then Bleeding again. Same results - pedal still soft! Any suggestions?
bobblasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
paulfromoh
AF Newbie

My avalanche did the same thing... Apparently there are cars that you need to bleed the brakes with a pressure tool I don't own. So I dealt with soft brakes till I sold it lol
paulfromoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
bobblasz
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 Cougar soft Brakes

The Tool is a Scan Tool that actuates the Solenoids on the ABS Module and hopefully pumps out any Air Bubbles to the brake lines running to each of the 4 Wheel Calipers. I had a local Ford Shop check this out and they diagnosed that the original Brake Hoses that were expanding when the Brake Pedal was depressed . I replaced all 4 and still no change. If I go to a Ford Shop again I will go to another of course, but thought I might get a Resolution from the Forum.

Last edited by bobblasz; 01-12-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #4
paulfromoh
AF Newbie

I was thinking of a vacuum pump bleed kit
paulfromoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #5
bobblasz
AF Newbie

Paul, I've already tried this 'Solo Bleed' Method using the a Craftsman Vacuum Kit from Sears - It seems to work OK, but the problem still there. As an FYI the only items that have not been replaced in the entire brake system are the metal brake lines and the brake pedal.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
jerryg2112
AF Regular

If you have disc brakes in the rear that have the parking brake incorporated in the caliper you could try applying the parking brake numerous times to make sure that the piston is adjusted all the way in. They are different than regular calipers because of the ratchet like design and won't take up the slack on their own.
jerryg2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
bobblasz
AF Newbie

Jerry,
Yes, I'm aware of this Braking Configuration. When I replaced the Calipers, Rotors and Pads I had to release any 'slack' on the two cables from the Hand Brake Lever to the rear wheels. I've performed the 'ratcheting' (up & down) with the Self-Adjusting Hand Brake several times to take up the slack. Very strange thing here -The Brakes (the foot pedal) is firm (depresses hard) each and every time the ENGINE is OFF. However, even stranger - when the engine is 'turned-over' the Brake Pedal 'goes soft'. This is consistent. As an FYI - The Brake Power Booster was replaced early on in this troubleshooting process-Did I install a bad one? I guess I can 'put-up' with this soft brake pedal, but it just annoys me.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Cougar