Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
89 daytona girl
AF Newbie

Unhappy Help it falls on its face : (

I have a 89 daytona shelby and it runs strong but when you punch it it really takes off but at mid boost it falls on its face!!! I have had the turbo replaced and it still does it.
also the headlights wont come up .
Any suggestions?????
I also wondered if anyone out there has a good market value for my car.
Thank you for the help ( I am new to these car sight so be gentle)
Thank s,
~Kim~
89 daytona girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
AWP9521
AF Enthusiast

Re: Help it falls on its face : (

The "Falling on it's face", does it act like one of the following?

The car acts like somebody shut off the key and then the engine comes back to life when the throttle is lifted? That can be an overboost condition, check all vacuum lines for the correct routing from the engine to all the solenoids and to the wastegate. Also check the wastegate to make sure it operates freely and it is not sticking shut.

OR

Is it reaching a certain RPM and engine starts breaking up badly and loosing power? Check all ignition system connections, distributor connections, computer connections for corrosion. If that all checks out ok then pull the distributor and shine a flashlight down there and examine the oil pump and intermediate shaft gears for worn teeth, if you can get one of them small telescoping mirrors in there (kind of like what a dentist uses) to get a better look that would be beneficial, or take a flat bladed screwdriver and put it in the distributor drive slot and turn the gear back and forth to check for excessive play, if there is some found then the intermediate shaft and the oil pump has to be replaced.
"Sorry honey, I just don't feel like it tonight" it will always be in
the garage silently waiting for you to hop in so it can thrill you
some more, that is unless you break it. At least they're easier
to repair and get the thrill back than a pissed off girlfriend.
AWP9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
BillWV
AF Newbie

The relay responsible for the headlights is on top of the dashboard, under the removable, clipped-in dash pad. On my '89 Shelby, I had to occasionally bang the dash with my hand (just like Fonzie!) to get the lights to work. Common problem. Those relays were hard to find in junk yards a few years ago.

For the engine miss...I agree with the previous post if it shuts off abruptly, it is probably overboost. Even a small leak in a vacuum line (I once had a boost guage that caused this) will let it happen.

On the street value...wide range right now. Blue Book value is low; but sellers are reaching for the stars, hoping for collectors value. I'd guess about $2500 for a nice Shelby; more for a really clean low-mileage one, less for a high-mile car that hasn't been rebuilt.

Good luck,
Bill
BillWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:51 AM   #4
Silent_13
AF Newbie

The headlights should be an easy fix, Go to the wrecking yard and get the headlight relays out of a daytona, or a le baron. Then take the dash off on the top closest to your windshield. Then unscrew the black box in the middle, and replace it with your new one. If it still dont work, have your headlight motors checked out, and then check the wiring and fuses.
Silent_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #5
CSX#414
AF Newbie

Falling on its face means that the car is hitting overboost cutout - a safety feature programmed into the electronics from preventing the engine to detonate. Try using a boost controller and see if by adjusting your boost level it evens out.
CSX#414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
jeffcarr
AF Newbie

vacume out the mouse house thats in the air intake behind the head light on left side car it sounds weird but it happened on my 85 turbo z every time i got into it it would get slowe and slower so i poped my air filter to see what was going on and it was full of stuff leaves grass dirt mouse building meteriels took for times to get all out now she rips like it was 1985 jeff71
jeffcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
87 Shelby Z
AF Newbie

check timing is what hood label says. Be sure to disconnect the coolant temp sensor connector on thermostat housing while checking timing. Check timing belt tension and retorque idler bolt to 45#. Check timing marks to be sure crankshaft sprocket woodruff key is not sheared at same time as checking idler, and torque crankshaft sprocket bolt to 85#.Check 4 into 1 vacuum line for cracks, as well as pcv vacuum lines.
87 Shelby Z is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Daytona