Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
charles546
AF Newbie

steering issues

I Have a 1987 ford f-150 xlt lariet that i am having some steering problems with.everything in the front end is new including ball joints radis arm bushings axle pivot bushings tie rod ends and rebuilt steering box.the problem is the steering has no return to center when turning like going around curve.it has just a little slack and wants to wander the road a little.i think the slack is in the steering box but if you take it out with set screw steering is to tight.truck drives good except you manualy have to turn back to center.any suggestions would be apperciated.
charles546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: steering issues

Following back to center from forward movement is mostly controlled by alignment and toe-in. Without it set properly the tires will go in the direction they want based on how they are pushed against the ground. No toe-in (perfectly straight) and they will just continue in the last direction they were left at. Set with toe-out and they will constantly sling from side to side. Once aligned, if it still doesn't turn back to straight, then there is resistance from something in the system. With the front tires off the ground and front end supported by jack stands, rear tires blocked, turn the wheels at the wheels and try to determine what is resisting their return if they don't change direction easily.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
charles546
AF Newbie

thanks for replying.the first thing i done after buying truck was new ball joints and tie rods and drag length.took for alignment.they set toe which was way offand told me i needed radis arm bushings and axle pivot bushings.replaced both and took back to have checked.they set caster and camber butstill didnt help the driveing had slack so replaced steering box with rebuilt one.that helped the slack but didnt change the driving.the only thing i noticed when doing the ball joints one side was a lot stiffer than the other when turning the axle before putting on tie rods.is it possible i got a bad ball joint causing this problem.i appreciate any suggestions i am getting fustrated with it but love this truck. thanks charles
charles546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
akinsey
AF Newbie

Curious to see if an alignment fixed this steering issue for you? I'm having the same problem with my 1985 F150, wheels go where last pointed. Replaced pretty much same parts as Charles did.
akinsey is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series