Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93
Re: catalytic converter geting red hot and no power

Thread cleaned

Play nice, or don't play at all.

Last edited by Greenblurr93; 12-17-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Greenblurr93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
m.d.
AF Newbie

Ok..so let me clarify the issues..I'm in the process of elimination..they've changed fuel pump,fuel filter, spark plugs and cleaned the tank,fuel lines and rails they also cleaned injectors and done a compression test..in result of it being drove the catalytic converter had to be replaced because the dealer is giving me the run around about what's really wrong with it..they insist they think it'd the flex plate which I think is wrong..and the only way to know for sure is another diagnostic test and complete look over..beginning to think I'm geting lied to for more money..I have no power..it does crank but it sounds terrible and whatever the issue is is making the catalytic converter burn up..could the sugar have killed my motor and the dealer just isn't catching?
m.d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Taken from the Mythbusters Wiki:

A car's engine will be destroyed when sugar is put into the tank. Busted The engine ran even better than without the sugar.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #19
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

But, it DOES sound like they are giving you the run around... a clogged cat can cause a flex pipe failure from the added pressure, not the other way around. you 100% need a new cat, just need to find what caused the failure in the first place to avoid future problems
Old 12-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
m.d.
AF Newbie

Now after all the work and money the Dodge dealer has charged and saying it was the flex plate now all of a sudden the motor is no good and they say its not because of the sugar..I just got screwed
Old 12-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

You need to tow that car away from that dealer.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #22
m.d.
AF Newbie

My problem is is that I'm dealing with the insurance company and the idiots at the Dodge place who went from cleaning a fuel system that had sugar put in from o well now u have a new issue that is the flex plate to now all of a sudden its the engine..so I'm stuck with a busted up van that I now have to prove to the insurance company that the engine failure was caused by the sugar in the gas tank before they will do anything else because the dodge dealer assured them that the sugar didn't reach the engine..my point is the van got drove for 3 days before we found that it was in fact sugar that was the issue. Thanks guys for the help
Old 12-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #23
RIP
AF -Advisor

Can we back up a bit? Exactly what was telling them the flex plate was the cause? Next what is telling them the engine is toast? Need to know what tests they performed and the results they saw that lead them to their conclusions. If you can get that info it may clarify some of this. Did you or the dealer ever get a check engine light and what if any codes came up on diagnosis?

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #24
m.d.
AF Newbie

Ok after the fuel tank and injectors cleaned and the pump and filter were replaced the mechanic said there was still an issue said it was running ruff his best guess was flexplate because they said if it was cracked it would throw the timing off and make it run ruff..so I picked it up and got maybe a qrt of a mile and the catalytic converter burn out so that got replaced..the van still had no power and sounds terrible so the Dodge place says the issue is mechanical and wont hook it up for diagnostics so they checked it out physically today so now they are sayn the problem is coming from the motor so therefore now their saying I need an engine..but their saying the sugar in the gas tank isn't what is causing my problems but my argument comes in that I had no problems with this van until the sugar was put in the gas tank so how can I prove that it is?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
m.d.
AF Newbie

I'm confused myself and I'm sorry if I'm confusing anybody else..I'm getn the run around so their explanation for not pluging it up for codes I have yet to figure out..he said without breaking the motor down they wouldn't know for sure he said it could be wear and tear or a bad barren or cylinder..
Old 10-04-2016, 09:42 AM   #26
Copterdoc
AF Newbie

The easiest way to check for a plugged cat is to check the inlet and outlet temps of the cat. if its more than 100 degrees F then it is internally restricted...
Copterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager