Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #1
greenroot22
AF Newbie

sundance no spark no fuel.

i'll try to make a long story short.
i'm limited on tools and money.
i have a 1990 plymouth sundance 2.5 liter v4 tbi
the other day i was accelerating arround a corner and the engin just shut down without any warning (rpm gauge and everything else just dropped strait to 0). the car was not taken care of before i got it and it has been a struggle to keep it running. i had done an oil change a week ago and the day before it shut down(last fri) i swapped out the wireset, distributor cap and rotor, was about to change out the spark plugs when it died. now no power gits to the fuel pump and no power gets to my ignition coils. the rotor itself turns and the engine turns over, my starter motor and battery work fine and as far as i can see everything else gets power.
i've changed out the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay, and every other relay i can find aside from the starter relay cause it should have nothing to do with the fuel pump and spark system or so i believe. i've been told to check on the asd relay, and the ignition relay. and i can't find either on my car, asd should be behind thebattery and the ignition should be under the dash, neither exist. i don't have a spare ignition coil to test with and the only other computer i have is one for a 1991 plymouth acclaim, which is a whole other story, but swaping computers doesn't work. i can't test voltage and resistance untill i get my meter from a friend, if you guys haveany other ideas that might help get this car rolling thanks in advance.
greenroot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
CnlK
AF Regular

Re: sundance no spark no fuel.

Not being very familiar with the position of the asd relay, try your local library or autoparts store for look at a manual. Also, check your fuse block for blown fuses. From what I understand, if the ignition/timing sensor in the distributor is not sending a signal, the asd relay will not supply power to ignition system or fuel pump. Have you tried the key/on/off/on/off/on to retrieve any trouble codes? Might point you in the right direction.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
greenroot22
AF Newbie

found out i dn't even have an asd relay whatsoever and i get no error codes at all. on thursday when i have the money i am going to pick up a cheap set of coils and replace the ignition pickup in the distributor. that is if i get paied enough. my main problem is the ammount of the time that it will take to get the computer back if i send it in for repairs.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
CnlK
AF Regular

I've found the boneyard coils aren't cheap anymore either. You mentioned that the rotor turns, typically the distributor is driven by the camshaft, I am unfamiliar with the 4cyl engine, are you sure that your timing belt didn't break? Try pulling back the timing belt cover and inspecting. As far as ignition system goes try pulling the coil secondary wire from the dist cap and positioning end close to an engine ground, have someone crank engine while checking for spark. If you have spark, problem is most likely with cap and rotor, be careful for shocks. My generic Haynes manual does'nt provide any troubleshooting info for the distributor pickup/ignition module. Try calling some boneyards, I know the optical pickup for my 1993 V-6 wasn't cheap.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:46 AM   #5
greenroot22
AF Newbie

the coils i'm getting is a 20 dollar item at autozone. the timing belt should be fine, but i'll check it tomorow. i've been told that it could be that the computer might be able to see that the coil isn't working right and shut down fuel and spark. , tried the secondary wire. if any of that worked i would have electrocuted myself by now. but the ignition pickup in the dist, might cause a similar problem.

i'll check the timing belt and on friday change out the pickup and coil on friday, i just pray that i can do it with out replacing the computer.
if you guys have any ofther sugestions fire away.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
CnlK
AF Regular

Try checking for voltage at the primary coil wire connector, if no voltage there you may save the $20 for the ignition coil and replace the ignition module/pickup in the distributor first. Hope you're rolling soon.
Joncjon (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #7
Joncjon
AF Newbie

So what was the problem / solution?

The guys on here suddenly stopped the conversation back in 2008. Can someone please help out here?
Joncjon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > General Discussion