Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
View Poll Results: Fav. sports car?!
'Maro and 'Bird 6 37.50%
Stang 3 18.75%
Evo 5 31.25%
Duh an SUV to run over them ALL!! 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 10:45 AM   #121
1979C10
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 1979C10
Re: Lets slay some ricers!

Have you ever heard of Coates rotary valves?
Coates engineering makes heads for ford five ohs that will take the motor, stock bottom end mind you, from about 260 bhp to over 450 bhp just with their heads. You might want to check that out. They're expensive, but awesome.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #122
Jared_80
Banned

Re: Re: Lets slay some ricers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979C10
Have you ever heard of Coates rotary valves?
Coates engineering makes heads for ford five ohs that will take the motor, stock bottom end mind you, from about 260 bhp to over 450 bhp just with their heads. You might want to check that out. They're expensive, but awesome.

Before you go pay thousands of dollars for a pair of Coates rotary heads, wait untill they are proven on the track. I read quite a bit about them when they were in the development stage and they had alot of problems with sealing the hot gasses on the powerstroke. (which they swear they fixed) I love the idea and all, and the exta power that you save in valvetrain friction alone is significant, but let professional racers try them first and if they hold up to that then I would make that investment. A good word of adveice "always let people with more money than you be the first to try the newest craze."
Old 12-04-2003, 01:51 PM   #123
1979C10
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 1979C10

Last I read they were in production on their industrial diesels and motorcycle line that they're building. But I won't have the cash for those for quite some time, so we shall see how the cookie crumbles.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:17 AM   #124
Boostjunky
AF Newbie

hehehehe, I blow past the rice with my old Cadillac, ahh wonders of good old American pushrod V8 torque =)
Old 12-05-2003, 08:42 AM   #125
Boostjunky
AF Newbie

WRX's(227hp) are pretty quick for an everyday driver, pretty economical too, but it sure can't hold a candle to American V8's in terms of raw power, for example if you do the math and calculate the power to cubic inch ratio, and you turbo a Corvette LS6.....just like Lingenfelter does.....by the same ratio as the WRX has, the LS6 would make 633+ hp. and thats mild for what a LS6 can really do. The 750hp package Lingenfelter Corvette runs 9.50 in the 1/4(street tires!!) And it still has warrany and A/C!!

Old 12-08-2003, 06:13 PM   #126
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-
You must also realize that imports have been working with "4 bangers" a hell of a lot longer than domestics. And domestics have been working with V8 performance a hell of a lot longer than imports. Jared, you said earlier "what if the imports made V8's, how much horsepower could they get out of them." Well they might get them decent with their "DOHC techonolgy", but the truth of the matter is domestics have been tinkering with them a lot longer than the Japanese. Same thing with domestics, what if they put as much money into DOHC 4 cylinders- well Imports do that better. I guarantee you, if Domestic companies would have been making 4 cylinders for as long as imports have than they might be the ones putting "700-1200" street legal HP into their cars, it's the same thing with imports if they had been working with pushrod V8's. It's all about what they know..GM, Ford, Dodge- they know how to make torquey high octane V8's. Toyota, Honda, and Mitsu- they know how to make high HP quick revving 4 cylinders. And for the consumer, it all comes down to preference. There can't be to much wrong with pushrod technology, it is making a come back in the auto industry.

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
Old 12-09-2003, 02:53 PM   #127
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTStang
Wow congradulations they built a car 40 years newer that was faster! Hey let's start puttin those old cars on today's tires and see what they run for times. Or better yet let's see that lil Evo rock and roll agianst a 03 Cobra. I'm not defensive I think the evo is impressive but do you really think a 13.06 scares us?
I do believe this guy is a very wise man, he has studied the new muscle cars, and knows his stuff, and the rice against American muscle thing is way over done everywhere I do agree with this statment.

David C. Atkin
Editor
http://hp-car.com
Old 12-09-2003, 03:03 PM   #128
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28Josh
You must also realize that imports have been working with "4 bangers" a hell of a lot longer than domestics. And domestics have been working with V8 performance a hell of a lot longer than imports. Jared, you said earlier "what if the imports made V8's, how much horsepower could they get out of them." Well they might get them decent with their "DOHC techonolgy", but the truth of the matter is domestics have been tinkering with them a lot longer than the Japanese. Same thing with domestics, what if they put as much money into DOHC 4 cylinders- well Imports do that better. I guarantee you, if Domestic companies would have been making 4 cylinders for as long as imports have than they might be the ones putting "700-1200" street legal HP into their cars, it's the same thing with imports if they had been working with pushrod V8's. It's all about what they know..GM, Ford, Dodge- they know how to make torquey high octane V8's. Toyota, Honda, and Mitsu- they know how to make high HP quick revving 4 cylinders. And for the consumer, it all comes down to preference. There can't be to much wrong with pushrod technology, it is making a come back in the auto industry.
First let's get some facts straight, the push rod engine never went out, unless you mean in the foriegn market, but does that really matter. Enzo ferrari said before he died that the world's best designed engine was the small block chevy, and I do believe that it's a push rod engine, and we could talk about the LS1 corvette engine, whitch if I'm not mistaking is a DOHC small block chevy, and did pump out 400 HP on pump gas, some things will never go away, Chevy, Ford and Dodge still build the best engines on the planet and that will never change.

David C. Atkin
Editor
Old 12-10-2003, 01:53 AM   #129
Blue02R6
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcatkin
and we could talk about the LS1 corvette engine, whitch if I'm not mistaking is a DOHC small block chevy, and did pump out 400 HP on pump gas, some things will never go away, Chevy, Ford and Dodge still build the best engines on the planet and that will never change.[/color] [/font]

David C. Atkin
Editor
Nope, the LS1 is a pushrod motor aswell.

My on the best engine thing is that It all depends on the situation. (Personally, I think General Electric makes the best, they make turbines.) For cars, I say Pontaic made the best in the past. Now, I'd put my bets on BMW.
1969 Pontiac Firebird

I might get my '02 SS back....
Old 12-10-2003, 12:49 PM   #130
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcatkin
First let's get some facts straight, the push rod engine never went out, unless you mean in the foriegn market, but does that really matter. Enzo ferrari said before he died that the world's best designed engine was the small block chevy, and I do believe that it's a push rod engine, and we could talk about the LS1 corvette engine, whitch if I'm not mistaking is a DOHC small block chevy, and did pump out 400 HP on pump gas, some things will never go away, Chevy, Ford and Dodge still build the best engines on the planet and that will never change.

David C. Atkin
Editor
Jesus christ, that's not even close to what i meant. Whether you want to believe it or not, The big 3 were going to start marketing more DOHC engines for their cars. Take for instance the 3.4 lt. DOHC engine that was in the mid to late 90's Monte Carlo SS's(rated at 200 HP). And, you took me all wrong, i never said i didn't like pushrod engines..i personally never get tired of hearing the sound of a small block chevy revving up to 3500 rpm's on a warm summer evening. And the LS1 is not a DOHC engine, sounds like you need to get some facts straight before you question me. This wasn't even the subject i was trying to get at.

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
Old 12-10-2003, 02:59 PM   #131
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

3500 RPM's?
Old 12-10-2003, 03:18 PM   #132
BlkCamaroSS
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BlkCamaroSS

You don't have to rev it to the redline for it to sound good, I think that's what he was getting at...
2001 Camaro SS #2239 of 6332
1/4 mile time: 13.575 @ 105.55 mph, 60' time: 2.276
307.1 rwhp, 330.1 rwtq = 353.2 hp, 379.5 lb ft torque
Options: SLP Front Grille w/ SS Center Logo, 17" ZR1 Chrome rims, 6 speed, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Monsoon 500 Watt Sound System, T-tops, 1LE Performance Suspension
Mods: Holley PS Air Filter, SLP Air Box Lid w/ Mr. Ed's pipe fix, SLP CAI, SLP Bellows, SLP LM, SLP Y-pipe, SLP 160 Thermo, SLP Temp Module, SLP STB, KBDD SFC
Old 12-10-2003, 03:23 PM   #133
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkCamaroSS
You don't have to rev it to the redline for it to sound good, I think that's what he was getting at...
Ahh, it all makes sense now
Old 12-10-2003, 07:49 PM   #134
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_80
I guss that all of the muscleheads are getting defensive after the Japs started to bring over their next genaration sports cars. The Evo rocks. 13.06 in the 1/4 faster than the GT500 faster than the superbird faster than the Boss 429, and it gets good fuel economy, and you can carry your friends along to watch you smoke those outdated lumps of iron. I guss that if I was brainwashed enough to believe in American iron I would be definsive too.
Not that I'm getting defncive, but look where you are, brainwashed enough to believe in American Muscle, just think before you speak, the ZL-1 Camaro 1969 Ran 11.50s in the quarter mile, and what about the Buick GSX stage 3 and it's 12.35 in the quarter mile, just think before you speak, I can always find American muscle that's faster. Just think were the japs the first to run a car in the quarter mile.

David C. Atkin
Old 12-10-2003, 08:02 PM   #135
dcatkin
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Lets slay some ricers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28Josh
Jesus christ, that's not even close to what i meant. Whether you want to believe it or not, The big 3 were going to start marketing more DOHC engines for their cars. Take for instance the 3.4 lt. DOHC engine that was in the mid to late 90's Monte Carlo SS's(rated at 200 HP). And, you took me all wrong, i never said i didn't like pushrod engines..i personally never get tired of hearing the sound of a small block chevy revving up to 3500 rpm's on a warm summer evening. And the LS1 is not a DOHC engine, sounds like you need to get some facts straight before you question me. This wasn't even the subject i was trying to get at.
Sorry if I offended you, and yes I did get the facts a little screwed about the LS1 engine, I had a bit of confusion going, I just get a little fired about this subject, and Chevy had planed to build a Corvette with DOHC, but that's not to say one is better then the other.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical