Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #106
SharonAnne
AF Newbie

Re: 69' BOSS 302 VS Camaro Z28

Jim

I am just following the title of THIS thread, "69 Boss 302 VS Camaro Z28".

I agree that Mustangs and Camaros do not belong in the Muscle Car catagory but that is discussed in another thread. Yes, Muscle Cars have big blocks, however this one IS about Mustangs and Camaros, specifically the 302 small blocks.

I think my comments from one thread are being replied to in the incorrect thread.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #107
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPbody View Post
Mustangs and Camaros are "out of place" in muscle car discussions. Read the "definition" of muscle car at the top of this forum. And no muscle car was ever delivered with a small block, regardless of "brand". "Never send a boy to do a MAN'S job..." Please excuse the "sexist" reference, no offense intended. It's just an "old saying" that fits.
As per the thread on the definition of a muscle car, this Muscle Car sub forum is a bit more inclusive than a strict definition would suggest.

This forum includes discussions on the pony cars as well as the small block muscle cars. This forum is all about vintage American performance cars, because all of them face common issues, which are of interest to all muscle car fans.

As I have posted earlier.... I have always suspected that the "Muscle Car" forum always intended to include ALL post-war classic American performance cars.... and the resulting pony vs. muscle rivalry simply stems from an imperfect use of the 'muscle car' name for the forum.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #108
SharonAnne
AF Newbie

I agree! This forum is best served by using the term "Performance Car". No one would argue that a Mustang 429CJ or a 427 Camaro is not a 'performance car'. Perhaps the emphasis would best be placed on "MUSCLE'' and not 'platform'. The aforementioned 'Pony' cars certainly have the 'Muscle'.

I suggest that big block Pony cars ARE Muscle cars while midsize cars such as Chevelles CAN be Muscle cars but are not Pony cars. Such discussion serves only to incite argument about what is and is not a Muscle car and takes discussion away from the Performance of American cars of Muscle!
Old 05-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #109
Fatal1tyWulf
AF Newbie

for your consideration,

the boss 351 for 71' was 4 inch stroke with a 3.50 stroke. the cam was .477 but your forgetting thats with 1.6 rockers actual lift was .515 due to the fact both the 302 and the 351 boss's ran 1.73 rockers. take .477 divide that by 1.6 =.298 multiply that by 1.73 to reveal the true lift of .515. this cam also was 230 @ .050 with an advertised duration of 290. rear end gearing of 3.91:9 with a compression of 11.1 for the 302 and 11.70:1 for the 351. both the 351 and 302 ran cams of same specs.

the boss's if i recall dominated racing, I'd go with the stangs over the camero's
Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #110
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Car Life magazine did tests on the cars--BOX STOCK.
0-60:
Z28 Camaro-7.4 sec.
Boss Mustang- 6.9 sec.

1/4 mile ET@ MPH:
Z28 Camaro-15.1 @95
Boss Mustang 14.8 @96

Estimated NET HP:
Z28 Camaro- 290 HP
Boss Mustang- 280 HP

Slalom time on whatever Car Life had for a track:
Z28 Camaro- 1:00.0
Boss Mustang- 1:02.5

Skidpad Gs:
Z28 Camaro-.72 G
Boss Mustang- .73 G

Never heard of a "Can-am" option for the Z28. Sounds like BS.
You might be thinking of the rare ZL1 Camaro with the all-aluminum 427 engine. These usually ended up in the Can-Am cars of the era.
Chambered exhaust, yes.
Dual 4V crossram, yes.
I don't think slant plugs heads weren't around in '69. Mid '70s maybe.
Slant plug heads have very poor flow numbers compared to what you can get now. Basically, they're completely obsolete now.

Back in the day, those were GOOD 1/4 mile numbers. Very few completely stock muscle cars got below 14.00 in the quarter. OEM tires were very slippery, and generally the engines weren't that powerful--compared to now. Magazines like Hot Rod got good 1/4 miles times by mounting slicks, removing belts, uncorking the exhaust, adding timing, etc.
Nice cars when they were new, but completely outclassed now.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #111
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Ancient threads (especially inflammatory car comparisons) should not be revived.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical