Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
lance_kidd
AF Newbie

Post Speedometer Doesn't Light During Daytime - Comes on at Night

Hi,

I've watched a couple of videos on yt about how to get this entire console out, but nothing that was an exact match. I do not see even one screw or have any idea on how to begin.

The problem I'm having is this: The car has daytime running lights, and as in most cars, the gauges are lit up during the day and the night. However, during the daytime, my odometer works and the needle is lit, but the background is completely black, and makes it almost impossible to see how fast I'm going. And yes, I do have the dimmer switch turned all the way up so that the gauges are as bright as they can get without actually clicking and turning on the inside lights.

During the nighttime (when the automatic light sensor in the windshield kicks the lights on), all the gauges light up, but the speedometer is still not as bright as the fuel and temperature gauge.

I have two questions and am very grateful this forum even exists. If anyone responds or has an idea, then thank you in advance, and I will let you know if it solves my problem. But for now, here are my two questions.

1. Can anyone tell me where to start in order to get this console out? I know I'm going to have to be VERY careful due to all of the plastic snaps that I'm sure are going to be involved.
  2. Would it be better to go to a junk yard and get an entire console, or else buy a new console...or is it possible that it's just a small light that can be soldered on? I'm assuming that during the day, the daytime bulb is not working (of course), but at night, the night bulb is working, but in order to be brighter at night, I'm guessing that the day and night light for the speedometer are supposed to come on; hence the fact that even when the speedometer is lit at night it is still less bright than the others.
Ok, I've rambled on enough I guess. Thank you guys in advance. I'm fixing minor problems that have arisen, because I want to trade it for a truck (GMC Sierra 4WD), So far I have replaced the spark plugs and a coil pack to get the check engine light off, new floor mats, shampoo carpet, wax and detail...so this is really the last problem I have. So I really need to fix this rather cheaply, but also it needs to be durable and able to last just in case I keep it and give it to one of my kids.

Thank You,
Chris

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dashConsole.jpg (90.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg dashConsole2.jpg (285.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Stealthee; 07-03-2016 at 10:39 AM.
lance_kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #2
lance_kidd
AF Newbie

Speedometer Is Not Backlit During Daytime

Hi,

I hate to be a pain, if anyone has ANY idea of what to do here I would greatly appreciate it. The images I uploaded are not the best, because it usually is worse. Normally, there is not ANY light at all on the numbers during the day, and it just looks solid black. I literally have to look over the steering wheel to see it.

Any ideas appreciated. If not, thanks for reading
Old 07-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #3
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Speedometer Doesn't Light During Daytime - Comes on at Night

What year?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
lance_kidd (07-06-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
slls
AF Regular

I didn't know the dash was lighted during the day, I pulled my DRL fuse long ago, still see my gauges.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slls For This Useful Post:
lance_kidd (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 04:23 AM   #5
lance_kidd
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
What year?
Hi, it's a 2009 Chevy Malibu. I guess the only thing to do is to start unsnapping around the radio and everything else I can see huh lol.

Thanks for asking and if you have any advice...much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
lance_kidd (07-06-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 04:41 AM   #7
lance_kidd
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Thank you Tech II. Although the photos in the above link are not available or working, I'm sure this will give me some kind of a start. Plus there is a good bit to read up on and from this point, I can google and follow instructions and get it out I think.

I have the link saved and am ready to get to work on it. Someone rear ended me very lightly at the pharmacy drive thru a few weeks ago just enough to push the bumper into the screws or something, and so they were protruding into the plastic in three different places. Barely noticeable, but I'm fixing her up to trade or for one of my kids, so it's at the body shop getting fixed, but I get her back Thursday or Friday and me and my buddy are going to do this. I'll send you a photo, or at LEAST let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again. Much appreciated my friend!!!
Old 07-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #8
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Good luck.....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
chevy , console , light , malibu , speedometer
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Malibu