Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
Jessiejames89
AF Newbie

Help ya girl! 94 Lumina wirin issues

Hey y'all, where can I find Wire color code for a 1994 Lumina "3.1" Euro???
Jessiejames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Help ya girl! 94 Lumina wirin issues

Wire color code? Most of the wire colors are used multiple times for various circuits. There are some "constants" such as orange being for accessory power and black being ground, black/white is usually a grounded load, and so forth. However, there are exceptions to these guidelines on almost every GM vehicle.

The complete schematic is several pages long. What particular circuits are concerned?
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
Jessiejames89 (10-23-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

I just checked - The full diagram is 37 pages not including sub-assemblies. I can probably load a few relevant sheets, but not the entire book.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Time to buy a real live service manual. Often available on eBay for a fraction of their "new" price. I bought one for Dear Old Dad's '98 for $35 delivered; the one for my '92 Lumina was about the same--$30 or $35.

Do not be fooled by crap service manuals from Haynes or Chilton or the like. You're looking for the genuine GM books.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
Jessiejames89
AF Newbie

Red face Re: Help ya girl! 94 Lumina wirin issues

Ok, I know it's been forever and took me too dang long to give thanks and I apologize.... buuuttt another stupid rookie question- I'm working on a 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager mini van (BTW, the Lumina is still with us and runnin like a champ) replaced all the sensors, starter, plugs & wires, coil pack, fuel pump, radiator and battery but the damn thang will not F'n crank! 5 & 1 are the only ones firin- WTF?!? And I'm friggin Chilton Haynes illiterate I cant wrap my head around their damn wirin diagrams to save my life, hell I can't find the 2 main grounds and I'm lookin right where the F'n book says lmao
Wth does the issue sound like to either of u??? I'm ready to pkow this S.O.B down with the Kabota and F the damn thang....
Old 10-23-2016, 11:24 PM   #6
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiejames89 View Post
Ok, I know it's been forever and took me too dang long to give thanks and I apologize.... buuuttt another stupid rookie question- I'm working on a 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager mini van (BTW, the Lumina is still with us and runnin like a champ) replaced all the sensors, starter, plugs & wires, coil pack, fuel pump, radiator and battery but the damn thang will not F'n crank! 5 & 1 are the only ones firin- WTF?!? And I'm friggin Chilton Haynes illiterate I cant wrap my head around their damn wirin diagrams to save my life, hell I can't find the 2 main grounds and I'm lookin right where the F'n book says lmao
Wth does the issue sound like to either of u??? I'm ready to pkow this S.O.B down with the Kabota and F the damn thang....
If it won't crank, how is it possible for 5 and 1 to be firing? There's a huge difference in procedure between "Won't crank" and "cranks but won't run".

Knock off the emotion, describe the problem.

If you're using Chilton and Haynes manuals, it's no wonder you're confused. GET A REAL "FACTORY" SHOP MANUAL FOR THE VEHICLE.

And consider the Mopar mini-van forum.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Jessiejames89 (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
Jessiejames89
AF Newbie

Ok, fair enuff...it will not turn over/ it acts like it doesn't have enuff fuel. Which I've cancelled out as the problem for simple fact that she's got no less the 8-10 gal which I am assuming is plenty enuff to make her at least turn completely over/ start-run....or is that wrong?given my luck it is lol. Can't afford a factory manual unfortunately, wish I could, so yes I'm stuck with the wonderful Chilton and Haynes manual.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok, fair enuff...it will not turn over/ it acts like it doesn't have enuff fuel. Which I've cancelled out as the problem for simple fact that she's got no less the 8-10 gal which I am assuming is plenty enuff to make her at least turn completely over/ start-run....or is that wrong?given my luck it is lol. Can't afford a factory manual unfortunately, wish I could, so yes I'm stuck with the wonderful Chilton and Haynes manual.
What do you mean by "will not turn over"???

If the starter is cranking the engine, it's "turning over".

This is sounding more like a "cranks but won't start" issue.

If that's the case, you need to find out if you have spark, and if you have fuel pressure. You won't be able to see fuel spray since the injectors are buried.

Report back when you have tested fuel pressure and tested for spark on at least 3 cylinders.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:37 AM   #9
Jessiejames89
AF Newbie

Ok reportin back AGAIN... All cylinders firin except 2&5 with fuel pressure as well as a new discovery- I'm pretty positive I've already answered my own question but again double checking to be absolutely sure.... Does it affect the PCM if there is oil inside it? I'm sure it does but I've not found any forum articles anywhere for this new found problem nor for any other vehicle known to man....
Old 11-06-2016, 05:05 AM   #10
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
All cylinders firin except 2&5
1. Do 2 'n' 5 share an ignition coil? Is the coil defective? One or both of the plug wires defective? I found this on-line: Firing order 1-2-3-4-5-6 Cap order 1-2-6-4-5-3 Are the wires installed in the right order? The on-line info suggests a distributor, but you said you replaced a "coil pack". [EDIT] Discovered that 2 and 5 do share a coil. No distributor. I suspect coil or coil control module.

2. Spark plugs fouled?

3. Injectors unplugged?

Quote:
Does it affect the PCM if there is oil inside it?
Does PCM = Powertrain Control Module?

How does oil get into the PCM? I'd expect it to be inside the passenger compartment. If it's hung in the engine compartment, and has oil inside...yeah, I expect it's in tough shape. I'd think it would be a sealed component.

Sorry, not familiar with Chrysler minivans. You should continue this in a Mopar Mini-Van forum.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:12 AM   #11
Jessiejames89
AF Newbie

New plugs and wires, injectors good, ive checked over the wires 3 or 4 times(that was where I was hopin my problem was- a slight mishap with the wires). And yes sir PCM- Powertrain Control Module...finally found a forum that was in relation to this PCM problem and the User said the oil he found inside his was BRAKE FLUID!!! And slowly eat away at the vehicles brain, destroying everything... I'm sure it don't matter what kind of oil it is, it's in the PCM and it's damage is done... Thanks for all the time and patience that's been given/ showed ya know i need it lol.. Thanks for keeping my unbelonging threads on the Plymouth in this one intended for the lumina
Old 11-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
New plugs
Doesn't matter that they're new. They can foul in fifteen seconds of cranks-won't start from the unburned fuel flying around the combustion chamber.

Quote:
and wires, injectors good, ive checked over the wires 3 or 4 times(that was where I was hopin my problem was- a slight mishap with the wires).
But with a failure of both cylinders (2 & 5) that share an ignition coil, the coil and/or the module that controls it are likely the fault. DO YOU HAVE SPARK to 2 & 5 when the other four cylinders are running? Can you see or hear the spark jumping at the coil terminals, indicating a break in the coil insulation?

Anyway, I'm leaning toward coil or coil module. I think some parts stores have the capacity to test them off-the-car. Call around, you might get lucky.

Quote:
And yes sir PCM- Powertrain Control Module...finally found a forum that was in relation to this PCM problem and the User said the oil he found inside his was BRAKE FLUID!!! And slowly eat away at the vehicles brain, destroying everything... I'm sure it don't matter what kind of oil it is, it's in the PCM and it's damage is done...
I still don't understand how fluid can enter a PCM. On GM vehicles, when they're in the engine compartment, they're sealed.

Regular engine oil might cause damage, I'd be very tempted to clean it up and try the PCM again. Brake fluid would be more difficult, I can imagine the water content would corrode circuit traces. Maybe. In my driveway, I'd open it up and see what it looked like inside.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina