Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
knightjp
AF Regular

Portal Axles for a daily driver

It appears that if you want to create a really unbeatable off roader, you add portal axles. I guess that is why it is quite common with military vehicles like the Unimog, Humvee, Hummer H1, Mercedes G Wagon squared...

I read an article online about them.. HERE

It appears that the kit that they are talking about from Marks4wd will retain the factory gearing ratio and just give the lift to be able to put in larger tires.

But what are the pros and cons for putting portals on something to be used as a daily driver?

I am hoping that this thread would be something for my own education.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
knightjp
AF Regular

Re: Portal Axles for a daily driver

I've been trying to find information about portal axles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb2R0jolDbE

I was reading a couple of forum threads about portal axles... And one of the complaints was that there was no real information. Whenever someone mentions portals, the common responses are,
- "Too expensive. Not necessary. Just do a lift."
- "Just get a Unimog"

Reading those threads, there was some information where they were even referencing some portal axle manufacturers like Axletech, Tibus, Marks4wd, 74weld.com, etc. But for the most part, there were just snarky comments about costs and referencing that the person buy a mog or a pinzgauer or even a Humvee H1.
It was actually quite annoying reading those because rather than having a proper technical discussion on the pros and cons, especially in layman's terms, we're forced to listen to the opinions of someone who doesn't think they're a good idea simply because he can't afford them and therefore no one else should either.

What I'm looking for is people who have used portals to share their experiences.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #3
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

So fundamentally all a portal axle does is reduce the effect of accelerating with IE 35" diameter tires to approximately that of accelerating with 22-25" 'normal' passenger tires, correct?
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
knightjp
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingOnRailz View Post
So fundamentally all a portal axle does is reduce the effect of accelerating with IE 35" diameter tires to approximately that of accelerating with 22-25" 'normal' passenger tires, correct?
I honestly don't know. Sounds like it. I would like more information on portals. And would like to find a kit for my Ram 1500. So far no luck. http://staticaf.com/vbulletin/images...s/rolleyes.gif

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical