Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:41 AM   #31
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: Marlboro Yamaha YZR500 quartet

If looking at the image above you have, Museum collection, Museum Collection+Reji, Tamiya+Museum Collection, Tamiya+Studio 27.

Tamiya works great as usual, slips in place and you don't have to work on them much. Same goes for S27, they work like a dream and the Marlboro logos on the side cowls of the Birthday bike has such a great fit that I think it is the best I've ever seen. Museum Collection is, as I've experienced before, quite a bit worse. As I said, lots of carrier film on this early sheet and I can already see some silvering on the larger decals. They are also a lot more fragile and tear if you work to hard on them. I usually get decals to conform to the hard curves using a cotton towel soaked in really hot water but these ones cracks up when doing so.
Same goes with Reji, really crappy shit that is badly detailed, to large over all and really fragile.

All of the decals has responded well to Micro products so far.

This is the experiences so far. I'm still to put the larger Museum Collection Marlboro decals on the sides of the ealy 01 bike and cut them in the cowl split. This can be interesting.

/Joel
Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #32
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Thought I'd just put on a few more decals before I go off to work. I chose to try the larger Marlboro logos for the early season 01 bike. These have been bothering me as they ARE large. It showed that they were TOO large as well. I'd say almost half a centimeter looking at the ref pics. But too my suprise they went on without problems and were easily cut down the middle.Now I only have to wait and look if there is going to be any silvering. Thought of cutting out the big piece of clear in the middle but took my chances. Now I'm off for a run. Posting pictures any day soon.
/Joel
Old 01-26-2008, 02:15 AM   #33
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Looks great, so far.

I guess after decalling you see "red" ;-))
Old 01-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #34
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Just some minor progress.

This is the lower cowl from the early season 01 bike. This large piece of a** decal went on really smoothly but on the side cowl part of the decal there is a HUGE area that is just transparent decal paper. I was worried this would cause major silvering and I was right. Have tried to get a good shot at it but the lighting isn't good enough. Anyhow, my idea now is to cut the transparent part away. Could work. Lower part looks ok though.

I started to drill away on the frame parts that is molded shut. With a .5 mm drill in a pin vise I put some strategic holes and then cut the plastic away using an Xacto knife blade. Time consuming but the effort payed off. Here is the end result on the stand support. Just some minor clean up left to do.

/Joel
Old 02-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #35
slk320
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to slk320

Great work on complicated decals. Its nice to see a "taboo" livery like that.
slk320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #36
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Just over a month or so since my last post... Got to hurry up with this build with the baby coming and all. Did some final decaling on the cowls today, just clear coating left. Hope to do that in a couple of days.

I also did the wheels today. Removed the mold line and roughed the tyres up with an abrasive paper. Then there were 16 Merchesini and 16 Michelin decals to put in place. No mishaps and here they are.

/Joel
Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #37
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwideqvist
Just over a month or so since my last post... Got to hurry up with this build with the baby coming and all./Joel
First of all congratulations!!

In spite of the problems you had with the decals you get a great result in the end, I never tried to do so many bikes, It is a real headache??

Roca.
Roca46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 AM   #38
geronimo77
AutoWeek Magazine Vendor

Send a message via MSN to geronimo77 Send a message via Skype™ to geronimo77

Nice builds.
Why you used Zero paint instead of tamiya spray?
geronimo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:13 AM   #39
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Hi guys and thanks Roca, I guess I'll be needing it. Regarding headaches or not I must say I had more of a problem when doing 3 RCV at the same times a couple of years back. much more fiddly bits to do over and over again. These "older" kits are pretty easy to work with and straight forward. The problems is separating the parts from the different years and set ups. I've made a box for each bike for the parts that differ between them. At the same time it's fun to dig into the references and parts box to find the small but obvious changes between say the 99 and 00 bikes although I'm doing both from a 99 Tamiya kit. The 00 bike has the same legs, front calipers and front mud guard as the 01 bikes so I hade to find those in another kit. The largest corner I've cut so far is the fact that the 00 bike has a bit lower rear cowl than the 99 bike. Think I'll skip that though.

Geronimo, I used the Zero paints as I find it much more easy to get a paint job that is smooth and without overflow when using the base paint. With Tamiya sprays I always got orange peel effects or areas that went flat.

Todays update goes in the sign of CF. I've done a lot of the pieces that are carbon fibre on all four bikes, but here's a quick shot at the parts for the 01 bikes.

I never seem to get rid of those small small blobs. They don't seem to be air bubbles and the parts were dust free. Perhaps I'm working to hard with the hair dryer to conform them that the decals get damaged of the heat. But most likely it is just a lack of technique when working with larger pieces of decal like on the rear fender. The right one lacks a piece of decal on the left side. Will fix that.

Next is the exhausts. 15 of them all in all as I managed to brake one when installing the muffler. All have been painted X-32 titanium silver and I've added the kit decals. The exhausts to the right are those I painted the weld seams black on earlier. The effect was quite subtle and will lift the seams and look nice when wheathered. Last picture is a comparison between pre-painted and standard.

/Joel
Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #40
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Excellent work with the CF!! For the exhaust pipes I have a sheet of decals very realistic effect of a japanese brand If you want me to can scan them for you, just tell me I think they are discontinued.

Roca.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #41
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for your offer Roca, I've seen those decals and they look very convincing but unfortunately I have no printer and no decal paper. Thanks again though.
/J
Old 03-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #42
KevHw
AF Enthusiast

I love the detailing on the exhaust welds, the effect looks great. Oh and nice CF work. I know what you mean about the bumps but mine seem to almost completely go after a lot more Micro-sol and pricking with knife.

On a side note, can I just ask, do you need any special ink to use decal paper? I've got a simple HP printer and if all I need is decal paper, then I can make my own decals at last. Do I need anything other than the paper?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #43
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Thanks for your comment Kev(in?), I too am pretty satisfied with the weld seams, I'll go on with the Tamiya weathering station and see where that gets me.

Regarding your printer question, yes you can use your regular ink jet printer but you have to give the decal paper a treatment to seal the ink in before putting the paper in water. You can most often buy that where you get the paper. Laser printer is easier that way. What you have to takie into account is also that the standard printers don't print white paint. White is instead areas where no paint is put on the paper. This issue get you some problems but you can often trick it somehow as there is both white and transparent decal paper. Hope that answers your question, fire away again if not so.
best regards
Joel
Old 03-31-2008, 03:17 AM   #44
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Woohaa, it's great to be back. For the last three weeks my ISP seems to have had some business issues with the ISP hosting AF or the DNS provider closest to AF making the site unable to reroute back to my computer. But now it all seems solved and I can show some minor progress.

I've painted the engine blocks. First I masked off the air boxes and painted the blocks XF-56.

When blocks were painted I masked the blocks off starting with very fine stripes of tape around the carburators. Forgot to take photos of the engines masked off for final painting but I tell you there were a lot of masking tape on those pieces of plastic. I painted the carburators and here are the final results.

I'm pretty pleased with the sharp lines and I can now move on to some further detailing and washing.

/Joel
Old 03-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #45
Roca46
AF Enthusiast

Hey Joel,

Why you didn't make the CF effect on the Airbox? I think that with a small square mesh and a little of gun metal you could get a great result, but as we can understand to much work to do with the four bikes.

I hope to see a great photoscenery (I mean the 4 bikes together) with this bikes

Hope to see the next pictures.
Roca

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes