Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 05:14 PM   #1
markm2
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1990 chevy lumina euro 3.1 turns over does not start

Hello! This is my first post here, but have done a lot of post reading.

Here is my problem 1990 Lumina Euro 3.1 with 154,000 miles my 16 year old daughters car died on the interstate outside of town. Was towed to our house, they thought it sounded like the fuel pump. Started to work on it the fuel pump seems to be fine when key is turned on you can here it humm for 2-3 seconds. I changed the fuel filter while apart turned key back on plenty of fuel came out into a fuel can, put back together. Before changing fuel filter released fuel system pressure, rechecked after fuel filter replacement I have a lot more pressure. I have also removed the easiest spark plug and I have spark and compression. Seem like no fuel getting to spark plug as it was dry. I have also checked the fuel injector fuses and they are fine. I hope someone can tell me what to check next to help solve this problem. Thanks for any advice.

Mark M
markm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:05 AM   #2
ctarmen2
AF Newbie

Hey Mark,

My first post here as well. I am having a similar problem to you. I being the handy mechanic that I am decided to change the plugs, wires and fuel filter in my 91 Lumina 3.1. After I put everything back together the car would not start. I was getting spark, but like you, it won't start. So, I had the coils, ignition module and crankshaft position sensor tested at the local Auto Zone. All of the items tested good. I went ahead and bought a crankshaft position sensor since it was pretty cheap. It still wouldn't start, so I had it towed to a local shop. It's been there for a week and the mechanic still can't figure it out. I know he's changed out the ignition control module and the wiring harness connecting to the module. He thought he had the problem fixed, but it died not long after starting it. He's still troubleshooting it, but is kind of at a loss right now.

I'm interested if anyone has had the same problems and what the solution was.

If I find out anything on my end I'll be sure to post it here to help someone else out!

Thanks for the info!

Colin
ctarmen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
tblake
In God We Trust

Send a message via MSN to tblake
Re: 1990 chevy lumina euro 3.1 turns over does not start

my first lumina, 1990 2.5L 4 cylinder had spark and fuel amd still wouldnt start. It surned out being the ECM. Replaced and ran good till the cat converter plugged, so we sold it. Maybe try the ECM both of you.

AF "2.0" Community Guidelines

Conservative Victory 2012!!!

"I'll Keep my Guns, Freedom, and Money. You can Keep the Change!"

----->>>>> Did You Know? <<<<<-----
tblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
ctarmen2
AF Newbie

I got more news from the mechanic today. He did some more troubleshooting and found that the car will run for about 20 minutes, but when it gets hot it dies. Anyone have any idea what would make it die after getting hot?

Thanks again,

Colin
Old 08-02-2005, 02:00 AM   #5
tblake
In God We Trust

that would mean once it enters closed loop it dies. Open loop is when the ecm uses preset paramaters to run the car untill closed loop where it uses sensor data. That sounds to me that it is more than likely be a sensor problem. Was the check engine light on? Ok, lets say you got it running, and after 20 minutes it stalled out, would you be able to start it right up for another 20 minutes then? Get it to stall out and then check for spark. If you dont get spark, replace the ignition module again. Otherwise try maybe the O2 sensor. Umm, I really dont know without actually getting more info. When it stalls out, does it stall because of lack of fuel, no spark, too much fuel? Hard to diagnose over the net. keep us informed, good luck.

Old 08-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #6
ctarmen2
AF Newbie

tblake,

Thanks for the information, I'll try to get more information and post what I find out. Can you explain more about the open and closed loop? What makes the ECM transition from open to closed? Is it based on time or heat?

Thanks man!

Colin
Old 08-02-2005, 11:09 PM   #7
tblake
In God We Trust

The ECM changes to closed loop when the O2 sensor reaches a certain temperature. Closed loop is when the ECM recieves all the feedback from the censors and uses it to tell the car how to run. (add more fuel/less fuel) Open loop uses minimal censor input , and runs the car off of preset parameters. The fact that your car dies when it warms up suggests to me that its a faulty censor. I still lean by the O2 sensor or ignition module as the cuase of your problem. Start the car, let it run till it dies, and then check for spark with a cheap spark testor that you can buy from wall-mart or anywhere.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 AM   #8
meuhus
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm2
Hello! This is my first post here, but have done a lot of post reading.

Here is my problem 1990 Lumina Euro 3.1 with 154,000 miles my 16 year old daughters car died on the interstate outside of town. Was towed to our house, they thought it sounded like the fuel pump. Started to work on it the fuel pump seems to be fine when key is turned on you can here it humm for 2-3 seconds. I changed the fuel filter while apart turned key back on plenty of fuel came out into a fuel can, put back together. Before changing fuel filter released fuel system pressure, rechecked after fuel filter replacement I have a lot more pressure. I have also removed the easiest spark plug and I have spark and compression. Seem like no fuel getting to spark plug as it was dry. I have also checked the fuel injector fuses and they are fine. I hope someone can tell me what to check next to help solve this problem. Thanks for any advice.

Mark M
hello

could be injectors too
check them for proper ohms
meuhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
picon
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: 1990 chevy lumina euro 3.1 turns over does not start

I hope htis is not too late but I just found this out. My dad owns two Luminas and one of them was doing the same as yours. It would shut off after a few minutes. We checked the battery, alt.,and even changed the fule pump. The trouble was none of the above. Took it to a shop were they did trouble shooting on all the electricle stuff and found that the crank sensor wich is found in the transmission was the problem. Car runs great know. 1992 lumina euro
picon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
maxwedge
A990 racer

Red face Re: 1990 chevy lumina euro 3.1 turns over does not start

FYI for future reference the crank sensor is at the rear r/s of the engine block.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

If the service number on your ECM is 1227227, it's a good chance that the ECM is the problem. You can buy a cheap set of noid lights to see if the injectors are getting a signal. If the noid light doesn't flash when the engine is turned over, then the ECM is the problem. 90-93 Lumina's ahad a high ECM failure rate, due in part to it being mounted under the hood and exposed to the elements.
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #12
picon
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge
FYI for future reference the crank sensor is at the rear r/s of the engine block.
Thank you for that bit of information. I guess it is located near the outerhousing of the transmission, and not in the transmission.
picon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
markm2
AF Newbie

I found my problems were ing module, 1 of the 3 coil packs was bad and blown fuse for three of the fuel injectors. But now I think it has a BHG can't get air out of system.

Mark
markm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
Dag2012
AF Newbie

richtazz, do you have the right serial/service number for the ECM module. Our SN is 01227727 you shown yours as 1227227 is that the number you meant?

Reason I am asking is:
My mother 1990 Lumina Sedan suddenly refused to start the after she had ridden it the day before without any issues for years. Last time it had a problem was when it suddenly died about 12 years ago and I believe the mechanic said it was the CPS (Crankshaft Pos Sensor). If I remember right he said he bypassed it so that it would never cause any future issues. And whatever he did worked well for years, I have a few questions, is bypassing the CPS possible? After trouble shooting this car now for the last 10 days, we eliminated fuses and such and to me it looked like it could be possibly the Ignition Control Module (ICM) or the Electronic Control Module (ECM/PCM). Took it in to a garage and after their analysis they said it was probably all 3. I said that's impossible for all 3 to die at the same time. So they convince me to replace the least expensive part, the CPS. If fact they said there are 2 CPS's in the Lumina one in the Oil Pan and one outside (I don't believe there is 2). Anyway silly me agreed to let them change the outside one which is the only one I am aware of. Needless to say once replaced the car still didnot start (still has no Spark at the coming of the Spark plugs). So now they thinking to replace the IGM, then next possibly the ECM. I am reluctant to give them the ok to replaced these in fear that the bill mounting up and there's no guarantee that after all 3 parts are replaced that the car will start. My initial thoughts was that the ICM had gone, only wished that they had started there first. Any opinions?
Dag2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #15
maxwedge
A990 racer

The icm can be tested at a Napa store. Btw this is a dead 6 year old thread, in the future, start a new one , thanks.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina