Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 07:21 AM   #46
xtrememeasures10
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to xtrememeasures10
Re: why luminas suck

Usually the reason things start falling apart on a car is the same reason an abandoned house falls apart. Lack of maintainance. Now i said usually and i emphisize on that. My only suggestion on not getting a bad egg is buy a wednesday car.
xtrememeasures10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #47
quteasabutton
Banned

Send a message via AIM to quteasabutton Send a message via Yahoo to quteasabutton
i got stuck with my lumina, but i suppose it's better than no car...we've kept up on the maintence and this thing is still falling to shit. it's broke three times this week already and has had many things needing to be replaced or repaired in the 8 months since i got it from my dad. it's ugly as hell and i can't park in it cuz it's soo big and i'm waay too short for it. it's the car for some middleaged person that just needs to get from point to point and doesn't care too much else about it. the only good thing i can say about this POS car is that everyone loves how comphy my seats are
quteasabutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 11:14 PM   #48
Jin2116
AF Newbie

its too big for you? do your drive the apv van cuz im talking about my car the small car.
Jin2116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:33 AM   #49
Manny_boy
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quteasabutten
it's ugly as hell and i can't park in it cuz it's soo big and i'm waay too short for it. it's the car for some middleaged person that just needs to get from point to point and doesn't care too much else about it. the only good thing i can say about this POS car is that everyone loves how comphy my seats are
Ugly as hell??? Only good for middle aged people who need to get from point to point and don't really care about it????

ok, I am nearing middle age, but take a peek at my lumina:

The Grim Sleeper

I'd rather drive this then plenty of other cars I've worked on...
Manny_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:32 AM   #50
chevygirl628
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to chevygirl628 Send a message via MSN to chevygirl628 Send a message via Yahoo to chevygirl628
OK, I've went through and read everyone's entries as to why Luminas suck and dont suck and I have to say that my Lumina is one of the best cars I have ever driven. I bought a 92 Lumina August 2004 for $2000 with 65000 miles on it and I've put over 12,000 miles on her since then. I have had NO major mechanical problems whatsoever. The only thing I've replaced on my car was the starter.....and even that wasn't totally bad yet. I get on average between 29-33 mpg on road trips. She's got a lot of pep to her and I've blown so many cars out coming off the line at a stop light. You have to take care of your car....otherwise it's gonna treat you like shit. My car has never left me anywhere or messed up on me in any way. My car has proven her worth to me and was a great investment on my part. She's staying with me until she rusts into the ground...if she ever does.
chevygirl628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:07 AM   #51
Jin2116
AF Newbie

well here i am a broken man, i still stand by luminas they are great cars mine just happens to be crapping out on me hardcore right now but i cant really expect much more than that out of an ex cop car
Old 04-25-2005, 01:20 PM   #52
quteasabutton
Banned

Send a message via AIM to quteasabutton Send a message via Yahoo to quteasabutton
no it's not the APV van, just the regular car is way too big for me :/
quteasabutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:52 AM   #53
Jin2116
AF Newbie

buy a spirit then, they are nice and tiny with thier three cylinder engines also fit nicley in the suburbans tire tread.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #54
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: Re: why luminas suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin2116
buy a spirit then, they are nice and tiny with thier three cylinder engines also fit nicley in the suburbans tire tread.

I'm guessing this is a younger person. To me, my Lumina is a compact car. I feel like I'm driving a go-cart.

I have always had land yachts, 1960's and 70's era full size Ford LTD's, Chevy Caprice, 1972 Olds Delta 88 convertible, stuff like that.

Cracks me up when somebody complains about too big on cars now, but I can see why. Cars have changed so much in the last 15 years or so.

I often think about this. I was the last of my generation to be really familiar with cars the way they were for most of the time cars have been around. My sisters, who are much younger, have never:

Tried to start a motor with a carburetor in the cold
Never "flooded" an engine
Rolled up a window with a crank
Had to buy a 15" tire
Seen a full sized spare tire
Scraped ice off a back window
Turned a knob to change radio stations
Had to get out and put the antenna down before going into a car wash
Had a car overheat because the "fan belt" broke
Paralell parked without power steering
Seen a car without A/C
Unlocked a car door with a key (chirp)
Had to take the air cleaner lid off and put gas in the carb after running out

and lots of other things. I don't care what people say, cars are much better than they used to be.

Hell, I remember having to keep them "tuned". (points, carb, etc) It was a constant process. This '97 Lumina got a set of plugs at 115,000 miles. Other than that, it's still factory. Gotta like that.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:37 PM   #55
Jin2116
AF Newbie

and yes this is a younger person but i was making a sarcastic remark luminas are fairly small cars, thats why i dont understand why quteasabutten was calling em big, i learned how to drive on two, 1/2 ton trucks two suburbans, one 1/2 ton van and a cube van, i know what big vehicle means
Old 04-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #56
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: Re: why luminas suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin2116
and yes this is a younger person but i was making a sarcastic remark luminas are fairly small cars, thats why i dont understand why quteasabutten was calling em big, i learned how to drive on two, 1/2 ton trucks two suburbans, one 1/2 ton van and a cube van, i know what big vehicle means
I got ya'

I was talking about quteasabutten too. My sis said the same thing when the dealer gave her a Ford Taurus for a loaner while her ZX2 was in the shop. "I can't park this thing, it's too big!"

I drive a 2003 Freightliner Classic Condo with 72" sleeper and a 53' trailer for a living, and I can paralell park it quicker than she can back out of a parking spot at the grocery store.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:59 PM   #57
Jin2116
AF Newbie

yeah im the same with the suburban parking big vehicles is alot easier i find any way, nothing compared to a semi but still
Old 10-23-2005, 05:40 PM   #58
kita417
AF Newbie

I love my 97 Lumina ..I mean yes it has its problems here and there but what car doesn't?It has only had 2 owners myself and my brother in law. I find that i am going through alot of Alternators though i had 1 replaced last year and got a new battery and then last week had it replaced again...my lights on the dashboard stay on but so far everyone i talked to says they have to be reset...what ever that means..lol...Its great on gas,and other then what i have said i have had no other problems.I am just starting to show signs of rust in a few tiny places ,this is the cheapest "parts" car i have ever owned when something does go wrong parts are pretty cheap to get for it....I think my car was a great value for the money ,but thats just my ..
kita417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:37 AM   #59
redwingfan
AF Newbie

the only complaint i really have with my 92 euro and the 90 euro i used to have is the stupid fibreglass rear leaf spring first that its so damn expensive and second i hear they are too hard to change yourself
redwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:49 AM   #60
Jonn
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by poslumina
yeah brakes are crap for sure, have had to replace rear pads twice, a new rotor, now needs both rear calipers and pads, and the front needs new pads, haven't even had the car probably 6 months
Well if a 91 Lumina with over 200,000 miles in it sucks for only having bad rear brake design, original engine never being apart and still no smoke,same transmission.same axles and rear bearings. , only major repair was a new rack, still runs great, drives straight, no rust outs, no rips in seats, no saggy headliner, than i spose ill just keep on driving a sucky car...
Jonn is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina