Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 11:10 AM   #16
midnight_rider
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to midnight_rider Send a message via Yahoo to midnight_rider
Re: 97 Lumina Turn signal don't work

just pull the switch out and bend the contacts back so they will touch again, problem solved.
midnight_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:55 AM   #17
BWX
AF Newbie

Angry

My 95 Lumina has the exact same problem- the dealer says 300 bucks, that is insane.

More specifically, I can use the signal if I don't go past where it "clicks", but if I go past that where it stays on by itself- the signal doesn't work.
All the flashers work (I tested them with known good parts) and the hazard lights work.. I noticed everyone's problem is slightly different, but I know it's all the same defective part causing the problem.

I would take the steering wheel off myself, but man, it seems like such a hassle. I have the Haynes manual and all the tools except the puller which I could buy allot cheaper than paying them to do it. I've already had the entire dash apart when I got the car to install an aftermarket CD player.

When you guys say "pull all fuses", are talking ALL the fuses? Every single one? Is that really necessary or could I get buy with just pulling certain ones?

My inspection has been out since March 15 because of this- It just seems crazy to have to pay them that much for such a simple problem..
Since 2003 the signals need to work in ALL positions in NY where I live.

Does it make any difference that when got the car I put an engine from a 96' Grand Prix in there? I didn't think it would, but I better ask just in case, I'm not sure my manual lists all the sensors for the airbag system..

I'm also wondering if you could make some kind of a long thin tool out of a hanger or something and reach in there and bend those contacts without taking off the wheel-
There's a big opening where the control stalk comes out of there- It seems like you could do something from there with the right shaped tool if you knew where the contacts were.. or maybe not.

BWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 11:36 AM   #18
cadgear
AF Enthusiast

GM apparently never got it right; both my 1991 Olds Cutlass and my mother's 1990 Grand Prix both had the turn signal switch go out. Cost of repair was in the mid to high $200s, I remember, labor and part included. However those had no airbags.

When you say pull the fuses, I assume you mean the airbag system. You need to pull the airbag fuse, disconnect the CPA clips, pull the connections, and handle the airbag with extreme care. A really good idea would be disconnecting the battery also, but you don't need to. Horn, airbag, signals. That's all that you really need to yank, as far as I can see.

You could either bend the contacts back or buy the new part; either way you'll need to take off the wheel. You probably couldn't get enough leverage to bend the contacts from the opening itself, provided you could get to the right ones.

The engine swap would have nothing to do with the turn signals, as far as I know.
cadgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 12:15 PM   #19
BWX
AF Newbie

I wonder how many millions GM has made in parts and labor off this defective part.. You almost wonder if it was done by the engineers on purpose.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:22 PM   #20
cadgear
AF Enthusiast

What about piston slap? Or the upper intake gasket? All sorts of 'defective parts' are requiring repair or replacement..however GM doesn't want to issue a recall or repair extension because they'll lose money and they know it. Bottom line? Fix it yourself, bug GM, maybe there will be a day when they'll repair it.

My 1991 Cutlass had a brake caliper recall because the calipers were sticking closed. As you can imagine I went through pads quickly. But see, that was in 1998. Seven years since the car was made and the recall was enacted ONLY because it was a safety concern. Brakes, wheels, tires, airbags, seatbelts. Only "safety concerns" GM has. Turn signal? Nah, you have your hand to make signals. Intake gasket? Nah, if you can't go anywhere you're not hurting anyone. And so on so forth

/end rant
cadgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:44 PM   #21
BWX
AF Newbie

I called GM and argued with them for an hour a few weeks ago-- They were complete jerks.
There was some kind of recall on those parts- but they wouldn't own up to ever having any recall on any Luminia anywhere ever--

Just kept lying to me- I know there were SOME recalls years ago.. They said there was no records, that they throw the records away..
Old 06-25-2004, 02:04 PM   #22
BWX
AF Newbie

here is one-

Recall - Windshield Wiper Switch Defective Number: 97003 Date: 03/01/97 Recall - Windshield Wiper Switch Defective

Owner Letter

March 1997
Dear Customer:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Reason For This Recall: General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix; 1994-95 Buick Regal, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and 1995 Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo model vehicles. These vehicles contain a washer/wiper switch power feed wire which may become strained or separated, causing the windshield washer/wiper to work intermittently.
If the windshield washer/wipers failed to work in a severe weather situation, driver visibility could be reduced, which could result in a vehicle crash without prior warning.
What Will Be Done:
To prevent the possibility of this condition occurring, dealers will replace the original windshield washer/wiper switch with a redesigned switch. This service will be performed for you at not charge.
How long Will The Repair Take? The length of time required to perform this inspection and service correction is approximately 10 to 45 minutes. Additional time may be required to schedule and process your vehicle. If your dealer has a large number of vehicles awaiting service, this additional time may be significant. Please ask your dealer if you wish to know how much additional time will be needed.
Request For Reimbursement:
If you have already experienced this condition and paid for all or part of the repair, you may request reimbursement through your dealer. When doing so, you should present the dealer with documentation which reasonably confirms the amount of unreimbursed repair expense, the date of repair and the person or entity performing the repair.
When you make your reimbursement request, your vehicle will still require an inspection to determine whether a redesigned switch was installed. If another switch was used for the repair, it will need to be replaced and a service time to perform this campaign, should be scheduled. If the redesigned switch was installed, your vehicle already has the required part and no further action is necessary. In either case you may request reimbursement for the prior repair.
Contacting Your Dealer:
Please contact your dealer as soon as possible to arrange a service date. Parts are available and instructions for making this correction have been sent to your dealer.
Your dealer is best equipped to obtain parts and provide services to correct your vehicle as promptly as possible. Should your dealer be unable to schedule a service date within a reasonable time, you should contact the appropriate Customer Assistance/Relations Center listed.
Division Number Dear, Hearing Impaired or Speech Impaired *Buick 1-800-521-7300 1-800-832-8425Chevrolet 1-800-222-1020 1-800-833-2439Pontiac 1-800-762-2737 1-800-833-7668Oldsmobile 1-800-442-6537 1-800-833-6537
*Utilizes Telecommunication Devices for the Deaf/Text Telephones (TDD/TTY)
If, after contacting the appropriate customer assistance center, you are still not satisfied that we have done our best to remedy this condition without charge and within a reasonable time, you may wish to write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, S.W. Washington, D.C. 20590 or call 1-800-424-9393 (Washington D.C. residents use 202-366-0123).
Customer Reply Card:
The enclosed customer reply card identifies your vehicle. presentation of this card to your dealer will assist in making the necessary correction in the shortest possible time. If you no longer own this vehicle, please let us know by completing the postage paid reply card and returning it to us.
Courtesy Transportation:
Your dealer will provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the dealership for this repair. Please refer to your Owner's Manual and your dealer for details on Courtesy Transportation.
We are sorry to cause you this inconvenience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with our products.

Another-

Recall 94V23000: Ball Joint Mount Defect Number: NHTSA94V23000 Date: 11/14/94 Recall 94V23000: Ball Joint Mount Defect

A RIGHT-HAND LOWER CONTROL ARM TAPERED BALL JOINT MOUNTING HOLE WAS INCORRECTLY MACHINED. MOVEMENT WITHIN THIS ATTACHMENT CAN ALLOW THE BALL JOINT STUD TO FATIGUE AND FRACTURE. IF THE BALL JOINT FRACTURED WHILE THE VEHICLE WAS IN MOTION, LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL TO THE VEHICLE CAN OCCUR. DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE RIGHT-HAND LOWER CONTROL ARM AND BALL JOINT STUD ON ALL INVOLVED VEHICLES.
SYSTEM: SUSPENSION; INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM; LOWER; BALL JOINT.
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES.
NOTE: IF THE VEHICLE IS PRESENTED TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND THE REMEDY IS NOT PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME OR THE REMEDY DOES NOT CORRECT THE DEFECT, PLEASE CONTACT CHEVROLET AT1-800-222-1020. ALSO, CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.
1995 CHEVROLET LUMINA
1995 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO

Maybe these are BS, but they are on AutoZone's website if you log in-

There are a few others- I agree that if it doesn't effect MY VIN# then it doesn't apply to me, but they wouldn't even acknowledge the fact that they aver existed.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:17 PM   #23
BWX
AF Newbie

On a lighter note- here is what this blinker problem makes my want to have happen to my Lumina- LOL

Crazy pics.. [/off topic]
Old 02-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #24
stevecur8
AF Newbie

Angry Turn signal switch

Had to replace the turn signal switch in my 97 (3.1). Sounds like this is a weak part. It cost me $220 Canadian, couldn't believe how expensive it was! But I didn't want to mess with it myself and risk blowing out the airbags or something. Good luck!
stevecur8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:21 AM   #25
bstrom1953
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 97 Lumina Turn signal don't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear
I have the same problem. I also need to get my turn signal fixed. Here is something to try so you atleast can have some sort of signal. When you put the turn signal on, pull the stick slightly to you. This works on my car and you will atleast have a signal to use.
My 95 Lumina has exact same prob. The problem is the rotating part of the switch is held down against the contacts by PLASTIC tabs. One of mine was worn half way through. Pulling back on the turn signal lever places pressure on the switch in a forward direction causing the contacts to touch again. I wrapped a small piece of wire around the hold-down tab to build it up back to original size and that cured it. Now the rotating part of the switch rubs on metal and should last a long time.
Napa has the turn signal switch for $73. A tool to help get the circular clip off was only $8, also at Napa. The Haynes manual was helpful.
bstrom1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #26
rockavenger
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to rockavenger Send a message via Yahoo to rockavenger
How easy is replacing all of it? I would rather work on it myself that take it somewhere and have to pay out the butt.
rockavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #27
rockavenger
AF Newbie

How easy is replacing all of it? I would rather work on it myself that take it somewhere and have to pay out the butt.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:00 PM   #28
rockavenger
AF Newbie

Old 09-24-2005, 08:40 PM   #29
BurnDaddy
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Turn signals not working right

Listen to Midnight Rider, it was too easy! I also lightly sanded the contacts and cleaned the area where the contacts connect with contact cleaner. The six contacts can be bent back after seperating the switch by pushing the pentagon shaped nut out of the back! Thanks again Midnight Rider! All it cost me was 12 bucks for the steering wheel puller.
BurnDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 08:55 PM   #30
KawaiChik
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to KawaiChik

Wow, $300 is a lot. I had my turn signal replaced for the same problem last year for a total of ~$160. I bought the part from Advanced for ~$80 and the labor was ~$80.
KawaiChik is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina