Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 12:45 PM   #1
fiatster
AF Newbie

1996 Lumina dash light problem

My daughter's 1996 Lumina dash lights will not come on. I checked the fuse and it's fine. What else can I check? Also, where is the bulb for the dash lights located and how do you get to it? Thanks
fiatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:21 PM   #2
giddy99
AF Newbie

Mine, too!

Please share whatever you learn about the dash light problem, as my 1995 Lumina's dash lights just recently went out. I, too, bought new fuses, but it didn't work... about a week later, the tail lights went out, so it's spreading. It's not my primary car, but it IS annoying as I keep having to get something or the other fixed on it lately.
giddy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:38 PM   #3
fiatster
AF Newbie

Hmmm... I had that problem fixed a while back. If I recall right, there is a fuse box under the hood that is the problem. It controls not only the dash light, but also the tail lights. The problem was because the box is located under the hood and not inside the car, it corrodes. After loosening the box and looking under it, I found that the wires were rotted away. It was fixed by running new wire.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:22 PM   #4
giddy99
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Lumina dash light problem

Thanks! I spent about an hour reading through the postings, and this seems to be a common problem. The car was in Upstate New York with me for four years, so it had ample opportunity to corrode. Thanks again!
giddy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:40 PM   #5
fiatster
AF Newbie

I hope this works for you. My daughters Lumina is also in Upstate NY, so I know what you mean.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:20 AM   #6
94dohcaccord
AF Newbie

next ur probably gonna have a problem with the blinker switch that costs a pretty penny to fix, we had to do it twice, then the fule injectors, our # 6 went out, then the fuel pump, which i was quoted a grand to replace. $382 just for the pump.
94dohcaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:18 AM   #7
Grymlot
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1996 Lumina dash light problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94dohcaccord
next ur probably gonna have a problem with the blinker switch that costs a pretty penny to fix, we had to do it twice, then the fule injectors, our # 6 went out, then the fuel pump, which i was quoted a grand to replace. $382 just for the pump.
I can vouch for that... right now I am having the tail light/dash light problem, but have already had the fuel pump/injector shit happen...
Grymlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:44 PM   #8
toivo
AF Regular

the fusebox under the hood has an open bottom so it is exposed to the elements. wonder what gm electrical genius invented that one? road salt gets in there and eats away the aluminum connectors for the fuses and relays. you don't even want to know what that costs to replace. but this will cause all kinds of electrical problems.check this first, otherwise it may very well beyour light switch.
toivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:29 PM   #9
Bazook Joe
AF Newbie

Awesome.

That just saved me about 50 bucks for sure.

You guys were right; the fuse itself was corroded so bad it fell apart in my fingers. With a pair of tweezers and a tiny flat head screwdriver I scraped out all of the old crud and popped in a new fuse, and viola. Everything worked.

You need to take off the reinforcement bar with a 1/2 in socket first and then pop the top off the fuse box. Easy stuff so far. Then get as much of the old fuse out as you can. By the sounds of the other stories people had to solder in new fuses, but I was able to just clean things up a bit in pop in a new one.

If you still need help, email me and I'll send a photo

Thanks everyone.
Bazook Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina