Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
kiriath-arba
AF Newbie

Smile Ignition switch testing

Our 1999 CR-V has done 150,000 km and always been as reliable as new until today, when in the space of 30 minutes driving, the engine cut out six times, leaving the instrument cluster completely black, i.e. no warning lights. On five of those occasions I switched the ignition to '0ff' and had no trouble starting again. The other occasion was a little harder, but the engine did start eventually. The vehicle has been regularly serviced.

Do you just have to replace the ignition switch with a known good one, or is it possible to test the original it when it is out of the car? I'm guessing it would be necessary to do a simple continuity test across the terminals concerned for key position "II" and try to observe an open circuit at some point in time when it should be a closed one. To the best of my memory, the ignition switch was replaced during the manufacturer's recall in 2002, I will phone our Honda dealer to confirm this on Monday when they open.

How about the OBD-II testing codes? If the ignition switch is faulty, would the system store a code as a result of the engine cut-outs today? Is it possible that the ignition control module in the distributor is faulty?

I have seen other threads about problems with the throttle position sensor in the throttle body. Then there is the possibility of fuel pressure issues, but in each of those situations you would expect the instrument warning lights to come on as soon as engine stops.

Thanks.
kiriath-arba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
kiriath-arba
AF Newbie

Re: Ignition switch testing

I drove the CR-V this morning in the hope that the cut-out problem would occur again. Drove 10 km with not one cut-out! After reading other threads about this problem, I decided to remove the electrical switch (& loom) fastened by two screws to the bottom end of the ignition barrel. The switch was found to be partially burned out after prising off its plastic cover.... accompanied by slight burning smell. This explains the intermittent fault. Local Honda branch were able to confirm by phone that this switch was replaced in August 2002 under their recall. It lasted six years, but is now of course outside any warranty period. Thanks people, this website has been helpful in diagnosing the problem, which has not cost me a cent.
kiriath-arba is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V