Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 05:03 PM   #1
Todd Oconnell
AF Newbie

clear coat question

I justed clear coated my 89 chevy pickup. The first two coats really showed the metallic. The third made it less noticeable. Can you put to much clear coat on? I also have a couple of spots where bugs landed in it. Do I buff or sand them out. If I sand, with what # of sand paper. Wet Sand. Also, I have some high spots. Again do I buff or sand?
Todd Oconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:16 PM   #2
tek1011
AF Newbie

You can put too much clear coat on, but keep in mind that unless you are very good at painting and have a proper downdraft booth you will most likely get areas that have runs or orange peel, or the dreaded insect enbalmed in clearcoat! Assuming you used a clear with a hardener, you should most likely sand and buff the car, and this will thin out the thickness of the clear coat. If you don't have much experience color sanding you are better off to use a finer grit of sandpaper, say 2000, to avoid making big scratches. Use wet sandpaper, and a sanding block or pad- don't use your bare hand, it will leave "grooves" in the clear. Use a rubber sqeegie to dry off the area you just sanded- if it has a matte finish (no orange peel or pinpricks) stop sanding. After that either hand rub the finish or use a buffer. I suggest you pick the brain of the local automotive paint store in your area- they should know what works with the paints they sell.
Be patient- rubbing out a finish is very time consuming- and watch you don't sand thru the edges! Good luck.
tek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:40 AM   #3
geoffro
AF Newbie

ok, so i have a few minor cracks in the clear coat of my carbon fiber hood.... is that a farily easy fix or should i take it to a body shop?
thanks.
geoffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
MonroeGS
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to MonroeGS
Re: clear coat question

to geoffro:

depends on how bad the "cracks" are and how old the paint is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek1011
You can put too much clear coat on, but keep in mind that unless you are very good at painting and have a proper downdraft booth you will most likely get areas that have runs or orange peel, or the dreaded insect enbalmed in clearcoat! Assuming you used a clear with a hardener, you should most likely sand and buff the car, and this will thin out the thickness of the clear coat. If you don't have much experience color sanding you are better off to use a finer grit of sandpaper, say 2000, to avoid making big scratches. Use wet sandpaper, and a sanding block or pad- don't use your bare hand, it will leave "grooves" in the clear. Use a rubber sqeegie to dry off the area you just sanded- if it has a matte finish (no orange peel or pinpricks) stop sanding. After that either hand rub the finish or use a buffer. I suggest you pick the brain of the local automotive paint store in your area- they should know what works with the paints they sell.
Be patient- rubbing out a finish is very time consuming- and watch you don't sand thru the edges! Good luck.
MonroeGS is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk