Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 01:05 PM   #61
crayzayjay
CFA

i dont the point of that .... a company would use a different scale to fool people into thinking a car has an extra 1 bhp?? i dont think anyone's trying to confuse anyone.. no car is gonna sell because of one extra bhp... if the company thought it would, it would just tune the engine a tiny little bit more..
what exactly is the "PS" measure of a car's power?
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 05:49 PM   #62
mastachi
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mastachi
true, it was just thought, there wasnt any real factual basis behind it.but it is more than a mere 1 hp, 987 to 1001 is a 14 hp difference, possibly noticeable depending where the hp is on the rev range..
what do you when a blonde throws a pin at you? ... run like hell 'cause she has a grenade in her mouth...what do you do when a blonde throws a grenade at you? ... pull the pin out and throw it back at her...
mastachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 04:36 AM   #63
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by crayzayjay
what exactly is the "PS" measure of a car's power?
PS stands for Pferdestärke, which is the equivalent of metric horsepower.

It seems that misleading was not the intention, but simply that different countries originally determined horsepower differently. The end result is a close scale, but I suppose once you get into the thousands of horsepower range, the differences become noticable.

I've been searching for some information about this, and all I can say is it's unbelieveably confusing. Too bad there is no official internationally standardized measure of unit for general horsepower.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 02:14 PM   #64
crayzayjay
CFA

14bhp difference is noticeable when youre driving a car that has 100bhp, not 1000!
Old 03-26-2002, 02:52 PM   #65
mastachi
AF Enthusiast

true..i wish i could try to find that out though through experience, i wonder what its like driving a 1000 hp car..i probably couldnt handle it..i'd probably rear end someone driving an aztek..
what do you when a blonde throws a pin at you? ... run like hell 'cause she has a grenade in her mouth...what do you do when a blonde throws a grenade at you? ... pull the pin out and throw it back at her...
Old 03-26-2002, 03:02 PM   #66
crayzayjay
CFA

or sh*t your pants :hehehe:
Old 03-26-2002, 03:10 PM   #67
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

14hp would be quite a difference in the 100hp range, but according to the different scales, results for both the metric and English horsepower ratings on say, a Civic, will be off by only a few units. But once you get into something like a Veyron, the numbers will be off by many units. But in both cases, the differences should be too little to notice by scale.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 03:33 PM   #68
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

Metric horsepower?
Must be a measure of a metric horse I guess, ploughing metric fields. Reminds me of the same shonk the Japs pull when rating their stereos etc.

Coolest exotic ever?
Duesenberg, especially their SSJ and 'Twenty Grand' models

In an era when a shiny new Ford V8 cost $585 the least expensive Duesey set you back $13,500 and through over $20k

The sidevalve Ford was a fast car in its day, with 85 hp, a good one would go 80mph
The second most powerful US car then available, also sidevalve, delivered 160 hp
Duesenberg featured a part alloy 7 litre DOHC 4-valve supercharged monster, delivering 325 hp for 130mph. Every detail showcased either advanced or unique engineering, from a 2" wide triple roller timing chain to the forged aluminium firewall
Thunda Downunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 07:46 PM   #69
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
Metric horsepower?
Must be a measure of a metric horse I guess, ploughing metric fields
:hehehe:
Old 03-29-2002, 02:32 AM   #70
Thunda Downunda
AF Enthusiast

it's a joke isn't it?

And here were we, thinking that there already was a universal standard. Is this EU madness I wonder, or something that originated in Toyota-City?

Let's rise up I say and RETALIATE .. and stick it to 'em by inaugurating the Imperial-centilitre, and Imperial-metre (which, hopefully will coincide exactly with the good old yard etc) and then we can then shed and cast aside this metric rubbish and restore some reason and normality back into our lives

btw: for one of my pet peeves, do you notice how metrication has destroyed the readability of oil-pressure gauges? 20psi used to mean 'sell immediately' .. 40 was good .. and 60 or more translated to a warm inner glow ..
nowdays all you get is an otherwise blank screen with a 'L' and a 'H' and at best a thin blue line that fades to red

BRING BACK SMITHS GAUGES!
Thunda Downunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 01:28 PM   #71
mastachi
AF Enthusiast

powerful....
Old 04-02-2002, 12:10 PM   #72
Innotech
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Innotech
Quote:
Originally posted by hermunn123

woah, calm down buddy.

first off, there were 64 McLaren F1's made. there were 3 F1 LM's made. there were 5 F1 GT's made. the rest were GTR's, the racing F1. trust me, i know my McLaren's.

and second, about the bugatti it seems that i know more about the bugatti than you do. the 16/4 has 987 horsepower, not 1001 hp. the 1001 hp is on a European scale, not American, hence the difference. straight line acceleration is not all important in a road race. sure it helps, but braking and handling are just as, if not more, important. the bugatti is massive. there is no way it will the approx. 2500 lbs. the F1 weighs. more weight leads to worse handling and braking. so the bugatti wins in 1/3 out of the required elements needed for road racing. the F1 would get passed in the straights, but it would build up a lead very quickly.

in conclusion, i would like to add this: you saying that i do not know anything makes it sound like you're the one who is clueless as to what is going on.

peace out yo
Umm....you mixed up GT with the LM There were 5 LM's and only 3 GT's made
Old 04-02-2002, 06:46 PM   #73
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
Volkswagen AG>>the new leader in the supercar wars?
errrm.... NOPE!
who would buy a super-vw when for the money you could have... you get the point
Old 04-15-2002, 07:19 AM   #74
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
Ferrari F40
Ferrari FX
Acura NSX
sorry guys i just like the nsx

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD