Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 10:04 AM   #1
ACCSlvCivic
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to ACCSlvCivic Send a message via AIM to ACCSlvCivic Send a message via Yahoo to ACCSlvCivic
battery not charging

well, the car is dead and i don't know why. back in october i got into a wreck.. a week after that my speedometer quit working (it sits at zero only to spike to 100 and then back down to zero.. most only does that in humid weather). my lights also started dimming and brightening. not just my headlight... all the lights inmy car. the dome light, my gauges... everything. well, this tuesday it got nice and cold (3" of snow here in Dallas, wth?). i tried to start my car and all i got was a nice poping noise. well.. after that my door poppers quit working so i couldn't get in my car (i have shaved handles). well.. i figured it was my battery that was messed up. or maybe the alternator.. so i replaced both. My car made it all of one day but as soon as i turned on my headlights the battery started draining and eventauly (while i was driving) my car started to die. My RPMs started spiking and boucing and my car started to jerk. it was almost like i was misfiring. Any ideas? if you need more symptoms let me know (i'm in class right now so i gotta cut it sort.) Thanks
c/f hood
Custom Spa Yellow (s2000) paint job
Blacked out taillights
triple beam projector headlights
16" Enkei TBS11s w/Paradas all wrapped around them
Aluminum Front and Rear upper tie bars
Custom CAI, JG 4-2-1 Header, Custom Racing Madalion catback exhaust (2.25") with testpipe
short shifter and Neuspeed shifter bushings
Pioneer DEH-P7300 CD player w/6CD changer
orion 800.4 xtreme amp, 2x 12" eclipse subs, and some 6.5" Focal componts from the polyglass line (6v1)

Next up:
GSR Swap and hopefully some sponsorship?
ACCSlvCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 12:19 AM   #2
90CRXZCSi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 90CRXZCSi Send a message via Yahoo to 90CRXZCSi
That would've been one of my guesses was the alternator. I can see if you replaced the alternator and not the battery then that might be the problem but you said you replaced both so i dont know.
90CRXZCSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 06:33 PM   #3
white97ex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to white97ex Send a message via Yahoo to white97ex
you may have gotten a bad battery or alternator. my lights were doing hte same thing ....the problem was that the alternator wasn't putting any charge on the battery. you may also have a short somewhere. you say you have shaved handles...i take it that you have aftermarket stereo? some of the aftermarket wires may be shorted out.
white97ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 08:34 PM   #4
fritz_269
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by white97ex
you may have gotten a bad battery or alternator.
This happens WAY more often than it should. Probably 20% of the batteries I've purchased in my life were no good - and something like 50% of the (remanufactured) alternators.

It's a volume business - it really doesn't pay for them to test stuff thouroughly.
fritz_269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 08:43 PM   #5
sbmopar340
AF Newbie

I have an Idea... Get a Domestic car. J/K
Old 02-13-2002, 04:38 PM   #6
fritz_269
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sbmopar340
I have an Idea... Get a Domestic car. J/K
I do. I have a 1964 Chevy El Camino with a 350 SBC that I've owned for 15 years now, and the track record for remanufactured alternators is incredibly terrible - actually far worse than most late-model imports.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:29 PM   #7
rybred
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to rybred
same thing sorta happened to me when i got some head work done after not driving it for a while and it was the distributor...i don't know if it is on yours though! I had to buy and exchange 3 distributors to get one that actually worked...cause they only have remanufactured ones for the lude! I found that out by taking the distributor out of my friends lude that was running fine and putting it on mine...that was after the second time i took the thing back to get refund...luckily i have a good mechanic that was 100% sure it was the distributor though! If anyone tell you they have a new distributor for your lude....they're bulls*#ting ya, don't buy it!
rybred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 02:10 PM   #8
pvang31019
AF Enthusiast

did you tighten the belt? get a new belt? retest the alternaotr? rpms jumping would be an ignition problem. as for the speedo, it's the vss that's in the tranny...
pvang31019 is offline   Reply With Quote