Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Robtastic84
AF Newbie

Driver side door wont open at all Infiniti J30t

I've tried everything, remote, key, even brute force but nothing will get the driver side door open.

It all started when I was driving after work and i got out of the car and the door would not close, it simply bounced off the frame - not like it was already locked - but closing all the way and just not setting into place as usual. I started mashing buttons on the remote and jimmying the key to get it close and it finally did.

Since that moment the driver side door no longer opens at all no matter what combination of key and remote i use. The lock lever itself tends to spasm or jump back into the locked position when I try to open it, or only moves half way to the fully unlocked point which makes me think it might be electrical, also because this whole mess started when it was raining.

This is my first post so I'd welcome any help, I'm broke as hell and would appreciate a cheap solution or else I'll just be jumping across from the passenger side until then.

**Edit BTW its a 1993 j30t
Robtastic84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
consultIII
AF Regular

Re: Driver side door wont open at all Infiniti J30t

sounds like a door latch issue.
theorize that the door latched flipped to the closed position when the door was opened. when you forced the door closed the door latch jammed on the striker.

not sure how to open it...may just need brute force.

Next time when the door bounces off the striker; flip it open and the door should close normally. When you get it open; put some penetrating fluid on the latch so it moves normally.
consultIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Robtastic84
AF Newbie

Thanks for the help, I've taken it back to to stealership, they said they'll take a stab at it. I was perfectly content with the car until this happend, I was heart broken, that my four door went to a three door.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Robtastic84
AF Newbie

So in case anyone else needs an answer here's the update:

The dealership had to take off the entire inside paneling, the glass, and everything just to get to the lock so that the door could be unjammed. What happened was the locking mechanism froze in place because of a combination of electronic and mechanical failures.

That is the only way to fix this sort of problem apparently.

good hunting and thanks for the help in the mean time.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Cedric | M45 | J30 | Gloria