Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #31
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: The Ultimate Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPaintballdude
And nobdy answered this earlier, is it possible to have a spl\sql car? I want some crazy loud bass, but when I want sound quality (after I replace every thing with some nice three ways and get it how I like) I can turn the sub down till it sounds right. I dont see why you cant have a realy good sounding car (when you want) and be able to shake cars around you for blocks(when you want). So is my theory possible, or has some one tried it and it just dosent work out, because I never, well I wont say never but I rarley see people that just are O.K. with having both.
Sure you can, but it's expensive. My car is that way, I have one of the highest excursion 15s available, for any price, but I keep it balanced pretty much all the time and it sounds great. The problem is "SQL" is expensive, very expensive, if you want to do it right you can expect to spend 2-3k easy. You also can't get an SPL box (ported with a high tune) and expect it to sound even acceptable, if you're going for SQL you either need a big high excursion sealed setup or a very low tuned ported setup.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #32
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD

if you want a bass system that can be heard (felt) a block a way - it COSTS. There are no $500 solutions to that application. If you want a good sound (mid/tweets), you are gonna run into the same problem. Anyone can buy the flea market stuff, but it will not be really loud OR sound really good. Unfortunately, at 16-18 or whatever, that may be all you can afford.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #33
BikerPaintballdude
AF Regular

Ya thats why I think im going to wait before I get the sound quality portion of my system and just get the subs now because I can afford the subs. And do you think that CM3's will sound pretty good if I turn them down and have them with the rest of my system when I get it or is Diamond Audio not the best for sound quality? Actually can you rate the CM3's on a 1-10 scale in SPL and SQL. I know its completly oppinion but just tell me what you think in like a whole prespective. By the way I love this forum and the info I get (I was going to say and the people but I didnt want anyone getting the wrong idea lol) I started talking in this forum not knowing a thing about car audio and wanting to get some cheap sony xplode system not knowing what I was doing and that was like 2 years ago and yall have helped me to not waist money and time on crappy stuff. soo I just wanted to say thanks and you never know I might see some of yall some day. so thaks for taking your time with the noob
BikerPaintballdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:44 AM   #34
nicks84
AF Regular

Quote:
And do you think that CM3's will sound pretty good if I turn them down and have them with the rest of my system when I get it or is Diamond Audio not the best for sound quality? Actually can you rate the CM3's on a 1-10 scale in SPL and SQL. I know its completly oppinion but just tell me what you think in like a whole prespective. By the way I love this forum and the info I get (I was going to say and the people but I didnt want anyone getting the wrong idea lol) I started talking in this forum not knowing a thing about car audio and wanting to get some cheap sony xplode system not knowing what I was doing and that was like 2 years ago and yall have helped me to not waist money and time on crappy stuff. soo I just wanted to say thanks and you never know I might see some of yall some day. so thaks for taking your time with the noob
Just so you know, Diamond Audio makes some damn good equipment. And though your paticular choise appears to be an introductory series, if done correctly, you will be VERY impressed, Im more than sure. And I guess Id rate them subs 5.6 - 6. And that might not sound so good, but if you understand the magnitude of where the top is, its really not that bad. ALOT better than the X=poldes you had your eye on . The Diamond subs will lean toward sq more so than spl. But your series, may desighned for only a little of both. But on the good note, they share alot of the same technology thier uppers do, so they are great lower level subs.

Your high end . .. . I dont know many opinions here becuase Im new (oh, and btw, Hi, all (lol). But from what I know, you would be advised to stay away from coax, and go components. What size and location of the factory speakers slots ? And what did you have in mind, any direction of your own, or were you looking for suggestions on set up, or just brand ? Personally, would recomment a 6.5" comp set. Moderately decent set, no more than 200$.
And if Im steering this gentlemen wrong, someone please throw your suggestions/critisms out.
nicks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #35
BikerPaintballdude
AF Regular

No I was just wandering what people thought of the CM3's because I cant demo them anywere, let alone buy them (unles I go 2 towns over). My setup that im wanting is 2 15" CM3's in a box that will replace the midgate of an Avalanche. And also get a new head unit but I have no idea which one im going to get. But if I dont get the Avalanche im going to get a Toyota Tundra and I will be taking the back seats out and going from there and in either truck I get I will have 2 15" and later on when my $ builds back up im going to replace all facotry speakers. And I have another question :] Has anyone out there put a sub box in the back of a vehicle were the seats had been removed? If soo I need help on how to design a box and make it look nice and be efficiant. And would it need to be just a plain square box? And what about angling subs, how would I get the most boom from my subs, should I have them in a forward-fireing box, have them facing up, or at a 45 degree angle?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #36
PaulD
Audio Guy

the optimum angle, location and firing direction for max output from your sub can only be determined by experimentation. Generally, just pointing them straight out parallel to the floor works good.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #37
BikerPaintballdude
AF Regular

O.K. How do you design a box? Ive been doodling on how I want the box to look (for the tundra) and is it possible to put some 6x9 in the same box as the subs but in another part that I add onto the box? and how can I make the box look good I dont want a plain black box in the back of my truck. So what can I do to make it unique lighting, paint, etc. what have you seen in a car that you thought was cool and looked good ?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #38
nicks84
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD
the optimum angle, location and firing direction for max output from your sub can only be determined by experimentation. Generally, just pointing them straight out parallel to the floor works good.
I have to agree completely, kinda hard to say, it is an emperimental thing, every vehicle is a little different. Typically, Ive heard of people goin to the extent of finding the Res freq of thier cabin, which obviously can only be done if you had the vehicle, and since you dont know for sure which one its going in, would be kind of hard to say. But YOu cant go wrong with what paul said, parrallel.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #39
nicks84
AF Regular

Quote:
No I was just wandering what people thought of the CM3's because I cant demo them anywere, let alone buy them (unles I go 2 towns over). My setup that im wanting is 2 15" CM3's in a box that will replace the midgate of an Avalanche.
The subs are okay, or even on the better side of OK. Truthfully, with 15's, you will get plenty volume out them, best stick with the cleaner side of things, and you are doing just that. Cause big woofers like that can be sloppy depending on brand.

Quote:
And also get a new head unit but I have no idea which one im going to get.
For the HU, all we need is a budget.

Quote:
Has anyone out there put a sub box in the back of a vehicle were the seats had been removed? If soo I need help on how to design a box and make it look nice and be efficiant. And would it need to be just a plain square box? And what about angling subs, how would I get the most boom from my subs, should I have them in a forward-fireing box, have them facing up, or at a 45 degree angle?
It woudl seem I was crazy enough to do that to my car. 4-15's in the back of an 84 Monte Carlo. I had a custom built Bandpass box with the ports goin down each side. The speakers were facing each other but at a mere 35 - 45 degrees to the windsheild. Made for really nice eye candy. I had 6x9 boxes added as an extension and stuck in the little triangle window/bolted onto the big box. The carpet on that one was the typical blk and white. The box before that was just a big rectangle with only 2-15's. Thats the one with the embossed logo and white vinyl. Just some suggestions, no reccomendations. But you have the option of matching carpet, vinly, or fiberglass enclosure (with a shnazy paint job of your choice, but this can get very pricy. There is embossing, or the opposite even. You can also go a diff color with the embossing, looks very nice. Maybe upload a picture of the inside cab, it might be easier to suggest.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #40
BikerPaintballdude
AF Regular

O.K. for a head unit I was thinking around $200. And is it possible to do the box and install (by myself with help from a friend) for around $150?That exact color but with the back seats taken out. There isnt much room, and under the seats its not flat, it has a rasied part in the far back side.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #41
PlayStation3
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
O.K. for a head unit I was thinking around $200. And is it possible to do the box and install (by myself with help from a friend) for around $150?That exact color but with the back seats taken out. There isnt much room, and under the seats its not flat, it has a rasied part in the far back side.
yea for 150 and you doing it your self/ freind then yes. and you should be able to find a decent pioneer for that much
PlayStation3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #42
BikerPaintballdude
AF Regular

O.K but I am having problems finding a good head unit. I dont know what im realy looking for first off, or what would work good with the my dream system, and look good at the same time. I would like to have one that has all of those colors and does those patterns and well ... is pretty "lol"(I feel dumb asking this I sound like a little school girl). One of my friends had one and it looked nice and I decided I wanted one like that too.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #43
DatSnowBoy
AF Newbie

Hey man if you want subs that sound great but get loud for minimum price check out rd. There alpha sub is similar to a DD 9500 and cost $420. They have a special to were you can get a alpha with custom box and 1500 watt amp for under $1k. go to low-hz.com and check out there stuff.
DatSnowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:25 PM   #44
PaulD
Audio Guy

dang, looks like datsnowboy is a mouthpiece for low-hz.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #45
PlayStation3
AF Enthusiast

i dunno i think ssa has better deals then low hz and if you want muti color i think alpine has one.
PlayStation3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio