Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #61
Jet-Lee
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jet-Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Jet-Lee
Re: Speakers came today

ngsm, are you just trying to up your post count? You've contributed nothing even argumentative(let alone factual or informational) for the last page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron_
Also, in home theater, the audio system is reproducing sound effects of a motion picture, which can and normally do drop down to or below 20hz. These systems, obviously then, need good output levels at very low frequencies, and they are relying on the enclosure to produce those output levels since the room's acoustics are contributing very little to the output. However, those very low frequencies are simply hardly ever seen with pure musical content. Orchestra's and classical-type music are one of the very few genre's that have content below 25hz. Heck, most music does not go much below 30hz. And because of this, porting an enclosure that low (15hz, as you suggested) simply is not necessary as it will contribute nothing to the system over the typical range of frequencies being played. That and, as I mentioned, vehicles simply do not need the low-end reinforcement that is required in a home system.
I've known everything you stated for quite some time, but at least it's contributing to someone's education (ngsm), so I do appreciate the effort.

You're stating, in the quoted paragraph, what I am fighting. You say vehicles don't need the low end reinforcement of a home theatre because hardly ever plays that low. What if the person listens to music that does?

If I remember correctly, someone in this thread (or LOW LOW'S) said that if the person wanted smooth deep bass, to use a big sealed box. Well, this works like a sealed box from about 30hz on up, nice and smooth response. Although tuning the box so low would give it the nicer response of a ported box in the lower frequencies.

I'm going to attempt to end this with:

Personal Preference. If you want the 20hz-ish tones to kick harder but have the smooth/sharp response of a good sealed box, tune really low. If you want a nice peak in the more audible and commonly used range, tune to about 40hz-45hz.

Most prefer the latter, I prefer the former.
Jet-Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #62
Heron_
AF Newbie

I give up.

Take it away ngsm........

@ Jet-Lee

Jet-Lee has ngizzim all over his face.

Heron_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:16 PM   #63
Jet-Lee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron_

I give up.

Take it away ngsm........
Don't give up now.

ngsm is just going to quote himself again. He done gave up.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #64
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

Essentially what yo uare talking about is tuning the box so low that in its usable frequincy range it will show no SPL gain over sealed which is the point in going ported anyway. And in the room it will take up to make such a large box you may as well go dealed and have a 12 db/pctave roll off starting at about 40-50Hz to get a flatter responce all the way down to the infrabass.

If you arent going sealed and yo uwant to use the room you may as well use a transmission line to acheive what yo uare talking about. and that is without a huge audio peak in the lowest audible octave. If you are trying to avoid peaks around 40Hz why wouldnt you try and avoid peaks at 20Hz?

Once agian, tuning as low as you are talking in a 4th Order enclosure is to be used for home theatre only, Larger more acoustically friendly spaces have a natrual spike starting much lower untill the waves get too big for the room where you generally have roll off ebcause the only way to recreate the sound is by pressure changes through out the entire room.

Im not trying to seem mean but in all seriosuness, if you where to go to a forum like DIYaudio.com and post that tuning a ported enclosure to 15Hz in car is optimal you would be laughed at and possibly banned.
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:53 PM   #65
Jet-Lee
Banned

I didn't say it's optimal for all instances. I said I prefer it, for the spike at the lower frequencies. To not be like the average Joe and have his ported box tuned at 50hz like it off the shelf.

Do you guys not get this? It isn't for everyone. Obviously it's not for Heron or ngsm, possibly you either CB, but READ what I was saying.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #66
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13

Lol @ him trying to salvage his knowledge.

He TOTALLY fucked up, TOTALLY. Now all he is doing is damage control. You really need to FUNDAMENTALLY re-educate yourself Jet. You're beyond the point of ignorant, beyond the point of regurgitation.

You've read a little bit about speakers and enclosures, and then you just run with it...making up your own bullshit along the way. Decent job at damage control though, you don't look like the biggest ass jack in the world. But you still are a numb-skull regurgitating tard.

As stated before, since you can't read. You obviously DO NOT know what 20hz is like, your ears have obviously not been trained enough. It's almost to the point of being sub-audible. Do YOU or the Stoned pimp listen to Pipe Organs all day long in your car?

95%+ of commercially available music does not enter the sub 30hz realm. And if it does, there's a really steep roll-off. Even the beloved rap, hip-hop, gangsterness barely ever enters this realm.

As stated, it's basically like talking to an ignorant brick wall. I could try to LEARN you till my fingers fall off...but since your foundation is fundamentally flawed, it does nothing.

I recommend:
www.bcae1.com
Get to reading.

oh...and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsm13
That is all.

NG
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:12 PM   #67
djman37
AF Newbie

damm!t, I'm late.

*looks for popcorn*
djman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:20 PM   #68
DBfan187
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to DBfan187

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBfan187
If you want to tune anywhere under 25Hz in a car, you may as well go sealed.
um, hello?

DBfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 06:59 PM   #69
AndonD454
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AndonD454

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsm13
I recommend:
www.bcae1.com
Get to reading.

i second that recommendation

Sold all my shit.

waiting for more money
AndonD454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #70
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

^^BTW, i have the money in an envelope ready to send, looking for a $0.02 stamp... gay post office.

Heh, i forgot how low pipe organs go, got any songs for me to go look up and download? C-1 pipe on the Ava
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #71
D[X]P
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to D[X]P Send a message via AIM to D[X]P

Don't give up man.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:57 PM   #72
balls_to_the_wall
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
^^BTW, i have the money in an envelope ready to send, looking for a $0.02 stamp... gay post office.

Heh, i forgot how low pipe organs go, got any songs for me to go look up and download? C-1 pipe on the Ava

If you have the IASCA sounc quality reference CD, on Track 6 there is some organ stuff dwon to 18hz. Thats the only stuff I can think of right now...
balls_to_the_wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #73
Jet-Lee
Banned

I've got stuff down to 16hz and listen to it daily.

Damage control? Hahaha, you're funny. Why would I not know what 20hz sounds like, especially if I'm talking about 15hz? Have you ever felt 2hz? Have you ever stood in the mouth of a basshorn playing an 18hz tone?

Try to learn me all you want, but until you can use correct grammar, you aren't going to learn anyone anything, especially if they already know more than you.

We've already established that majority of the music in today's society doesn't play that low. I'm talking about the minority.

Do you want a (hypothetical) 1.5ft^3 sealed box that rolls off at 30hz or a 1.5ft^3 box with a 1.5" wide slot port that wraps around two sides on the outside that's tuned to 15hz. If you read (instead of quoting yourself), you will see that Heron_ pointed out that about 1 octave above tuning, the port is irrelevant and the box acts sealed. So from about 30hz on up, the box acts the same as the sealed enclosure. But tell me, ngsm, what happens when I play my test tones, some classical, some orchestra, or go to the drive in, and a 20hz signal comes through? Who's going to shine now? The boxes act the same to zbout 30hz, where yours rolls off, and mine begins to spike. Your's is damn near inaudible, and mine is audible and FELT.

Go back to your IASCA DB Drags.

Last edited by Jet-Lee; 02-14-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:51 AM   #74
balls_to_the_wall
AF Enthusiast

Please, just stop with your posting.
balls_to_the_wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #75
Jet-Lee
Banned