Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 03:09 PM   #1
mellowboy
Amy dragged me here...

Send a message via Skype™ to mellowboy
mugen chip and rev high question!!

Ok i'm getting my pr3 ecu chipped . Ok from what it says that it redlines at 10.5 and the v-tec kicks hard and it kicks in at 4400 rpm. I asked the guy to see if its safe for me to rev that high. He told me that i have to upgrade my valve train. I was thinkin of getting the whole skunk 2 valves and springs set. I'm also planning to get there cams and cam gears. So with that set up ...can i rev it to 10 grand safely? Or wat else i need to do? Thanks
mellowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 07:24 PM   #2
97teg
AF Enthusiast

i think you need to build up the bottom end to handle high revving too.
97teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 07:47 PM   #3
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Forget about it.

Go away and do a lot more resurch first, or be prepared to spend a lot of money!

Chipping your car is not all its cracked up to be, and it will certianly not allow you to rev to anything close to 10,000rpm.
And even if you could get the engine up there, theres a lot more than just a chip required if you want it to make any power.

The stock B16a bottom end will handle up to 9,000rpm with out any trouble. But to make any use of it you need to have some wilder cam grinds, and get the a/f ratio and ignition remapped to suit (thats your chip, or piggy back ECU)
If its a new or recently rebuilt bottom end then 10,000rpm is also sustainable for short periods of time, and if you don't thrash it on the street to much, would probobly get you through a season of autocross or low level club track events, but its a bit of a gamble.
And you would need some very serious cams, valve train and tuning to make any power that high.
(but you should be making over 200hp at the crank)

To safely and reliably rev to 10,000+rpm then a full bottom end rebuild would be required, useing stronger rods, and a properly balanced crank.
The vavles, springs and retainers would all have to be replaced with aftermarket parts, and Type-R lost motion devices would also be needed. (part of the VTEC setup).
Then theres the wild cams, and extensive tuning.
Effectivly what you would be doing is building a Spoon engine, or a highly tuned B16b.
And for the money I dont think it would be worth it.
The car would not be much fun on the street, would have a good race life, but an increased chance that something could break.
And it would not be making any more power than a mildy tuned B18c5.

Basicly unless your wanting to compete in an under 1600cc race class your better off getting a B18c5 from a Type-R and adding some mild aftermarket cams. With the stock valve gear and bottom end well over 220hp is easily acievable, and with some smart tuning and good resurch 250hp is a reality.