Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 06:22 PM   #46
bluevette74
Banned

first of all i would like to admit that you did a good job definding your case, most people argue with opinions on this site atleast you put facts up. second it looks to me like i would rather grab that vette steering wheel. And what about those audi seats they look like a diper from mommas land or something, and the dash sorry to say looks kinda blank and boring. and those medal peddles even though they look cool, but can you imagine trying to shift when your feet are wet oops! But thats just my opinion, i speak for myself no one else!
Old 01-15-2002, 10:59 AM   #47
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
I agree oit can all be fixed, but I want it good from the factory. The rest of the car is so phenomenol (the TT sucks performance wise, and I really don't like it. It was for comparison purposes only)
The Audi seats do suck, the vette seats are nice. I'm willing to be that to make the interior nice and classy, it would cost maybe 1-2 grand when done at the factory. And I would be willing to pay that, especially since you spend so much time in the cockpit.

And look closely, the vette has drilled metal pedals also.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:30 PM   #48
Z06Lover
AF Regular

my car has drilled metal pedals also. But, mine comes with rubber stoppers through each hole. The grip my feet very well. I would hope that all other cars would have this too. The WRX is the same way.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:05 PM   #49
Vertigo
AF Regular

I love the Vette's seats! They are really comfortable. The rest of the Vettes interior does look a bit cheap. It is easy to fix with a few aftermarket parts, but I do wish Chevy would do it in the factory. It is like buiding a multi-million dollar home and then going to the thrift store to furnish it ( ok so thats a little overboard), but you know what I mean.

The performance is not a question at all, I am just looking at it from point of view of a designer. I am also not suggesting that you choose a car based on its interior. However, there are an awful lot of people that work very hard to design the interiors of automobiles and some are better than others. Chevy is on the lower end of the scale. If you look at the old Vettes they had interiors that matched what the rest of the world was doing and even out did them in some ways. It should be that way again. All of that being said I am going to buy one anyway.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:43 PM   #50
BlkZO6
AF Newbie

1) Interesting comparison. I guess it boils down to personal taste. The steering wheel comparison doesn't work for me. The wheel in my car does the job, and I like the looks better than the TT. I also like the look of the dash in the Vette much better. The gauges are easier to read. The same BOSE radio is available in most high end GM products. The HVAC...whatever. The TT has a boring layout, in my opinion. The only two things I don't like about the Vettes interior are the shifter(for mechanical reasons- should be shorter) and the ashtray setup. I just don't like the way it looks. As far as if it's functional...I doubt it, but I'm not in a position to know

2) To further the discussion, any idea how much a TT costs?
Old 01-20-2002, 04:59 PM   #51
Vertigo
AF Regular

The top end 225 hp TT coupe has a base price of $36,100. So it is no comparison to Vette performance wise.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:56 PM   #52
BlkZO6
AF Newbie

It's kind of hard to compare a TT to a ZO6...maybe it's a bit less difficult to use a Vette coupe. BAse price 41,855, for a difference of 5,755. Any thoughts on how much Audi would charge to bring the performance up to that level and offer the same warranty? Performance meaning all aspects. And how much it would cost someone in the aftermarket isn't really relevant.

I know neither you nor I can answer the question, but I'm pointing out the cars don't really compete at anything. You may prefer the interior of the Audi, but the reason for buying the car isn't the same. On your logic, Vipers must be a terrible buy, as their interiors aren't as nice as a Corvette's.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:51 PM   #53
Chris
Oldie

I would much rather have a vette too (actually, would never consider a TT), but I used the TT because it is a very good interior in many ways, and it is alot cheaper, so the same level of craftsmenship (and model-specific trim) should be in the vette.

The TT engine can be brought up to about 350hp and be reliable. You can get a 500hp VR6 in there (A BC company does it). This costs a lot of money, though. And for that money, you could have a Lingenfelter vette.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:32 PM   #54
BlkZO6
AF Newbie

I'm not trying to flame here, in case you believe I am, but my point is all cars are a compromise of one kind or another. Corvettes are no different that way. Could they put a more plush, or more "European" interior in their cars? Certainly. But that is not what the car is about. Many German cars are about that sort of thing. But you pay the price for it. Performance-wise, a ZO6 keeps up to or passes pretty much any Porsche. But the details aren't quite so nice aesthetically. Could GM match that for an extra 40-50K per car? Yes. Would they have a market? Probably not. They put the money where they feel they will get the most sales.

If you want performance/detail from GM, I think you will like the upcoming Cadillac XLR. It will be sharing a platform with the C6 Vette. But the car will probably cost in the 100-120K range. That is what it would cost to make the Corvette that fancy as well. GM realizes it won't sell many Vettes at that price.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:36 PM   #55
BlkZO6
AF Newbie

Actually, I should have addressed your points. What I said in my other post was how much it would cost if AUDI improved the performance by that much. Warranties are a beggar on high performance cars. Most are driven fairly hard. Aftermarket doesn't exactly have the same rquirements for warranties.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:55 PM   #56
cracker196
AF Regular

A big block combined with today's tech...

Try a Viper. I think that is what they were getting at. Nothing like a Chevy V8 though. Chevy is catching up to the Viper to in performance numbers (500 hp, 500 lb-ft to 400,405) with a smaller engine. If only they (Chevy) increased displacement. Wonder if the new Hemi to be used in the Dodge Ram will be used in any future Vipers?
Old 07-19-2002, 01:59 AM   #57
holley
AF Newbie

Z06 vs. TT or whatever

hey evryone, im new here but i do have knowledge of cars so im gonna post a reply. In my opinion, the corvette wins the contest by far. you get a car that competes with anything out there but you dont pay as much as the other ppl would. as for the interior, come on now, if your gonna buy a vette, yur gonna buy it for the power and not the interior that it lacks, if it does, i think its nice but oh well. vettes arent made for interiors or creature comfort, they're for RAW POWER. if you want creature comforts, get a caddy or somethin. if you want power, vettes are awesome.

:flamer: :rocket:
Old 07-19-2002, 09:09 AM   #58
jonbravo27
AF Newbie

Ride in a new vette for 4 hours on the highway, then do the same in a viper. I guarantee that will make a vette lover out of a viper enthusiast. A viper is an impressive car from the performance aspect. The vette is a much more well-rounded car in performance, and comfort. It was engineered to be hot-rodded and driven. Vipers are a hot rod. They are not a road trip car.

Engineers are going to try and produce a vehicle that applies to their existing market and will change to their expectations. It is important to look at the market that a vehicle is in before comparing. After all, it is about business and how many you can sell.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:16 PM   #59
Chris
Oldie

Re: Z06 vs. TT or whatever

Quote:
Originally posted by holley
hey evryone, im new here but i do have knowledge of cars so im gonna post a reply. In my opinion, the corvette wins the contest by far. you get a car that competes with anything out there but you dont pay as much as the other ppl would. as for the interior, come on now, if your gonna buy a vette, yur gonna buy it for the power and not the interior that it lacks, if it does, i think its nice but oh well. vettes arent made for interiors or creature comfort, they're for RAW POWER. if you want creature comforts, get a caddy or somethin. if you want power, vettes are awesome.

:flamer: :rocket:
I MUCH prefer the Vette I was just pointing out that it wouldn't take much for GM to make the interior look alot better. Aluminum isn't THAT pricey. At least lose the truck radio and cheap-looking plastic. BUT I STILL LOVE IT!!!!! :flash:
Old 07-20-2002, 12:08 PM   #60
merc50
AF Newbie

On Vettes vs. Vipers...your right about the road manners on a long haul, the Vette will be kinder to you. Now I do not have the bucks for either but my father (the old fart) had a 01 Zo6 and now has a new 01 GTS coupe. I had a buddy with the Audi, and I have a good buddy with a 911 Turbo. Myself new car wise, I have a Bullitt (yeah, it don't really belong in the group but anyhow).

The Zo6 was a good car. Not easy to get in and out of, but not the terror the Viper is to do so. The drive train was rock solid on that car and it ran great. I do the Zaino thing on my old mans rides and I have to say once again that Chevy kills ford and most other companies on drive train (esp. in the V8 since) but the fit and finish was crap. The paint was horrid on that car, thin spots and runs. I have looked at alot of F bodies and Vettes and GM is so hit and miss on paint it is not even funny, usally they just stink. I hated how busy the dash was, but some people do love the jet fighter thing. I really liked the car overall, but it was not perfect. Leather seemed good, not like the 911 but tons better than the Ford. Call me crazy, but I think I could have taken the 911 in the Z06, esp. if I was driving both...I could not get a real handle on the 911 and they guy that owns it would be an easy kill. I would go with the Viper over all of them in this respect. In the turns, I am not the guy to ask.

The TT is a hunk of crap. Im sorry fans of the car, but my buddies has been a nightmare. In fact, that guy that runs around with the "myaudiTTsucks.com" or whatever it was got his at the same dealership. Great fit in finish, horrid mechanical and electrical. I would not even consider the beast. I know my Bullitt will take it.

The Viper. It is all business. Long trips would be tuff, hard to get in and out of, but the fit and finish is really good on the car. Now I realize its almost handmade, but its nice. I like the simple inside also. Runs like a bat out of hell. If I had the money that is what I would get.

The 911. Revs so quick I sucked at driving it. Great fit and finish, solid runner, for me hard to drive (maybe I just stink). I found it kind of boring to drive, but I can understand why people love them. I like the simple inside and awsome leather also, just not crazy about that turbo...but I am an old school V8 guy, so I must admit a bias. Paint was very very good. Would be the better choice for travel driving for most over the Vette and Viper.

The Bullitt. Great style, good fit and finish, mechanical crap. I have the so called death rattle/tick followers of Ford will know off. Great paint, horrid leather on the seats, and my headlights need to be replaced due to the spotting that was a problem in 01. Love the car and hate it at the same time. I have been burnt by Ford in the past, if this car tanks or gets worse they have lost me forever. My F bodies rattled like crazy brand new, but I never had a mechanical or engine problem. Ford, well lets just say 99 Cobra and death rattle and leave it at that. Good performer, many owners think they have a Cobra killer or F body beater, no way. I think the TT would get wiped by it, the other would kill it big time. The new 390 hp Cobra adds a new element to the Ford story, but I wonder how well they will hold up long term (they are killer looking though), and it will be interesting to see the GT40.

Now remember, if I could only have one car it would be my 1950 merc kustom or my 32 (hard hard choice)...but I would go old school over any new car. But I love cars in general...and to me the Viper wins this.

But since this is a Zo6 thread, I will say I would take one if I could buy one...if I could go the next step it would be the Viper...but the Zo6 is a fine fine machine.

Is that any help on the subject?

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette