Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
higherBuyer
AF Newbie

Help me decide: 2008 Accent vs 2003 Corolla (details inside)

I've basically narrowed my search down to two cars. Which would you choose? Assume good tires and nothing more than basic maintenance needed on either of them. Both automatics.

2008 Hyundai Accent: $6600, 48k miles
-24/33 gas mileage.
-Reliability: good Consumer Reports marks. All green Edmunds marks.
-Safety: NHTSA 4-5 stars (3 stars for side impact) -- IIHS Average/poor/poor for front/side/rear
-Note: the Accent recently had its transmission replaced. The transmission shifts smoothly, has 3,000 miles on it. The seller got the car at an auction I believe. He fixes up and sells cars like this as a side-job. I have good reason to believe that the seller is honest, so assume he is. My personal mechanic has looked at the car and has no concerns about the transmission or any other major issues.

2003 Toyota Corolla: $7500, 60k miles
-25/34 gas mileage
-Reliability: good Consumer Reports marks. A few mild blips on Edmunds marks.
-Safety: NHTSA 4-5 stars -- IIHS good/poor/acceptible for front/side/rear
-Mechanic says the car is in good shape. No red flags.

The Accent is cheaper, newer, and has less miles, but has lower gas mileage and some low safety marks.
The Corolla is older, but still has low miles, is safe, and Toyotas are very solid cars.
I really just want a reliable and economic car for commuting. Some 2-3 hour highway trips every 2 weeks or so.

What's your opinion?
higherBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: Help me decide: 2008 Accent vs 2003 Corolla (details inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by higherBuyer View Post
I've basically narrowed my search down to two cars. Which would you choose? Assume good tires and nothing more than basic maintenance needed on either of them. Both automatics.

2008 Hyundai Accent: $6600, 48k miles
-24/33 gas mileage.
-Reliability: good Consumer Reports marks. All green Edmunds marks.
-Safety: NHTSA 4-5 stars (3 stars for side impact) -- IIHS Average/poor/poor for front/side/rear
-Note: the Accent recently had its transmission replaced. The transmission shifts smoothly, has 3,000 miles on it. The seller got the car at an auction I believe. He fixes up and sells cars like this as a side-job. I have good reason to believe that the seller is honest, so assume he is. My personal mechanic has looked at the car and has no concerns about the transmission or any other major issues.

2003 Toyota Corolla: $7500, 60k miles
-25/34 gas mileage
-Reliability: good Consumer Reports marks. A few mild blips on Edmunds marks.
-Safety: NHTSA 4-5 stars -- IIHS good/poor/acceptible for front/side/rear
-Mechanic says the car is in good shape. No red flags.

The Accent is cheaper, newer, and has less miles, but has lower gas mileage and some low safety marks.
The Corolla is older, but still has low miles, is safe, and Toyotas are very solid cars.
I really just want a reliable and economic car for commuting. Some 2-3 hour highway trips every 2 weeks or so.

What's your opinion?
The two cars statistically are very similar so I would go with the Accent because of it being a newer model , having lower mileage on the odometer , and having a lower initial cost . The listed difference in gas mileage is basically just 1 MPG respectively so that's really not a negative ! The Accent is a slightly smaller vehicle so if that's a concern , then perhaps it could sway your decision . If you need the additional interior space ( however slight ) that the Corolla offers , again that could sway your decision ? The Accent ( being 5 years newer ) may offer more modern technology than the Corolla ? All factors should be considered before making your decision . Good luck and keep us updated !
Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 AM   #3
ciocoflendar
AF Newbie

I would choose 2008 Hyundai Accent
Old 03-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Frankly, both cars are a little overpriced.

Be VERY careful when looking at older low-mileage cars. Odometers are very easy to roll -back, if you have the tools and equipment..... or know someone who does.

Unless the seller has old service receipts showing mileage - assume its been rolled-back
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
accent , buying , corolla
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A