Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
scotter35
AF Newbie

Newbie driver with insurance questions

i'm looking to buy a 1983 280zx. a friend of mine said that a car over 25 years old is considered a classic car and needs a certain kind of car insurance plan to go with it with one of the requirements being that the driver is over the age of 25 (which i'm not). is there any way to get around this or is it set in stone? my family has statefarm if that helps. thanks in advance.
scotter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Newbie driver with insurance questions

I can tell you that I live in PA myself, and your friend is incorrect. My first car was 25 years old when I was 18 and I just put regular old liability on it.

You CAN put different plates and different insurance on a car over 25 years old, but you are not required too.

EDIT: I just recalled even more proof of how your friend is wrong. In PA a car can be titled as classic when it is 15 years old. It can be titled as antique at 25 years old.

In addition, if you title them as such there are limitations on how you can use the car and how many miles it can be driven in a year period.

Lastly, I have State Farm myself. Have had them for 15 years now and only ever had one issue on a claim, and only had that issue because the at fault party was also a State Farm customer. After giving the CSR I spoke with a tongue lashing, then calling my local agent I got the total I deserved to repair my car. One thing I suggest is to get your own policy in your own name. Yes it will cost a little more to start with, but it will be worth it in the end. I believe State Farm requires you to be on your parents policy for 6 weeks before you start your own. That may be different now though, but that is how it was when I started my policy.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
scotter35
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info! Really informative!
scotter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:19 AM   #4
jackyjoy123
AF Newbie

Last edited by jackyjoy123; 05-13-2021 at 10:15 AM.
jackyjoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
280zx , cars , classic , insurance
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)