Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Misfits_luvn_mama
AF Newbie

Question 92' saturn sl pwr locks, alarm, and cigarette lighter won't work!

92' Saturn SL pwr locks, alarm, and cigarette lighter won't work! i replaced the fuse but it blows out as soon as i replace it? is this a wiring problem or what? if so how could i fix it?
Misfits_luvn_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: 92' saturn sl pwr locks, alarm, and cigarette lighter won't work!

It could be a wire that was shorted to ground, perhaps where a wiring bundle runs over a piece of sharp sheet metal, and the insulating grommet has fallen away.
The trick I use to help find the problem, is to solder two long wires to an automotive light bulb, or to a light bulb socket. I use a bulb that takes a fair amount of current - such as a brake light bulb, or a headlamp bulb. The two wires i then plug into the two sides of where the fuse goes that blows out. So instead of blowing out another fuse - my homemade test lamp would come on. Then I begin wiggling wires, unplugging connectors that might be involved - and watch to see if the "test bulb" goes dark. That would mean i was near to isolating where the fault was.
Sorry this isnt much direct help. Wiring faults like the one you describe can be viciously difficult to isolate.
Saturn makes a series of manuals, and one of the series would have the wiring diagrams in them. With enough study, it would tell you what color the wires were as they ran throughout the car. I got my Saturn manual set on ebay.
If you had one window switch that was stuck in the 'up' or 'down' positions - that would be enough to burn up a fuse I think. (I prefer electric windows to be using circuit breakers myself, but the makers didnt ask my advice.) Also, cigarette lighters can go bad. All it takes is a metallic candy wrapper getting jammed into it. So try unhooking the back of the lighter.
When I have much work to do under the dashboard of one of my cars, I find it works well to remove the driver's seat. Then I put down a plywood sheet for a flat floor surface, and I can lie on that, and face up from underneath the dashboard.
Good Luck...
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Misfits_luvn_mama
AF Newbie

Thanx for the reply. i'll have my bf try that and hopefully he won't mess up anything else haha!
Misfits_luvn_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
virgoinred
AF Newbie

Msfts lovin mama, can you tell me which fuse you changed on your cigarette lighter? mine won't work and i dont have the manual and no one on the net can just tell me what fuse controls the cigarette lighter.
virgoinred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
virgoinred
AF Newbie

Its is the last fuse on the right in the last row, its labeled locks. its a 20 fuse. This will fix your cigarette lighter.
virgoinred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
saturntech
AF Regular

check the back of the fuse block, sometimes the wires melt away back there and make a big mess.
saturntech is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
fuse , saturn , wiring
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saturn > SC/SL/SW