Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
tm_rm
AF Newbie

How do the following cars compare in terms of reliability and what common problems do they have?

I'm looking to get answers from people who can understand my question as opposed to just reading comments and statistics on sites. All car models have issues. I'm trying to minimize their likelihood. Areas of concern from different sources online are in parentheses, but I could be wrong. They're not necessarily specific to the model year.
  • 2013 Subaru Legacy (Gasket leak, oil burn, fuel consumption)
  • 2014/2015 Hyundai Sonata (Engine seizing)
  • 2012/2013 Honda Accord (Surprisingly a lot, given its reputation. Just a few examples: break rotors wear, transmission failures/hesitation, easily damaged condenser, seat discomfort - not reliability, but so many complaints, unintended acceleration - a few reports, but it's a serious issue)
  • 2012/2013 Toyota Camry (Again surprising. Check engine light issues, bad smell from AC, acceleration hesitating/unintended)
  • 2011/2012/2013 Chevrolet Malibu (different issues generally related to the engine and starting it or steering)

Last edited by tm_rm; 12-20-2015 at 07:50 PM.
tm_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: How do the following cars compare in terms of reliability and what common problems do they have?

The fuel consumption issue on the Subaru Legacy I can see happening, especially on the Outback and any other version that has the 3.6L flat-6. It's supposed to be a brilliant engine in terms of power output, but it is pretty big, and the car is a bit on the heavy side, and you can't get one with a manual transmission. It's either a 5 speed auto or a CVT which makes fuel consumption even worse. The gasket leak and burning oil are news to me, what gaskets leak specifically?

The 2015 Hyundai sonata engine seizing issue sounds pretty serious, if the engine could seize within a year of buying the car, it seems like there should be a recall. Although, that sort of thing would be covered by warrantee, or at least I would hope.

The Honda Accord issues do surprise me a bit, and for that matter so do the issues with the Toyota Camry. I've always looked at them as a pretty solid cars all around. But, these things do happen out of the ordinary sometimes.

The Chevy Malibu problems do not surprise me at all. It's always been a cheaply made car (the modern versions starting in 1997 anyway) I've heard of electrical problems, transmission problems, the infamous ignition switch malfunction that affected more GM models than I care to list, and just a generally cheap trashy feel to the interior trim materials (dash, cup holders, glove box, etc)
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: How do the following cars compare in terms of reliability and what common problems do they have?

Take certain things you read with a grain of salt. The whole "unintended acceleration" issue with the Toyota's were, to be blunt, a whole bunch of blown out of proportion bullshit. There were many, many tests done and after all was said and done it was determined that other than pedals getting caught on floor mats, the "unintended acceleration" was nothing more than user error. Even in the events of the pedals getting caught on the mats it is still user error in my opinion, due to the fact that simply hitting the brakes would stop the car.

Here is a article from Car & Driver detailing the results of the investigation. http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-scare-feature
Old 12-20-2015, 08:03 PM   #4
tm_rm
AF Newbie

This and this describes the Legacy issues. The oil is very recent too. Sonata engine issues were not specific for 2015 but more general. I think Malibu is off my list. The only reason it was on there is high reliability rankings by J.D Power.

Camry also has other issues, besides acceleration that don't seem to fit with its image.
tm_rm is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A