Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
CheddarTrek
AF Newbie

Which Hatchbacks meet these reqs?

Hey guys.

I've always been an SUV person. My first car was a 2-door GMC Jimmy, then I had a 2-door Blazer, and recently I've been driving a Jeep Cherokee since I got it in 2005.

I loved every one of them. But I'm running into an issue now where I'm commuting a lot more than normal. I'm often on the road 3 hours a day and my Jeep is eating through the gas. I've got to get something with better gas mileage.

As far as I can tell that's going to be a hatchback. If I downsize I might as well go to something fairly small since I rarely have people in the car with me (and I'm not very large).

Vital points in vehicle to consider:
  1. Seats in the back must go all the way down. Not angled. I often pull into rest areas to nap in the car and I need to be able to lay down in the back.
  2. 25-30+ MPG
  3. Not a Hybrid or Electric car. I don't trust them, whether that is stupid or not is beside the point.
  4. Approximately the size of a Camry (which I have been borrowing lately and like the size of). I think most Station Wagons are too large (again, if I'm not getting all the benefits of my Jeep I might as well go smaller). Though I don't want something tiny -- I'd prefer a small 5-door than a 2-door I think, but will consider both.
Pretty sure that's going to end up being a hatchback yeah? I've never heard of any other small vehicle that had the seats going all the way down. The Beetle looked okay but from what I can see the seats don't go all the way down.

But then I know very, very little about cars.

Suggestions? Price isn't a huge deal, but I'd like to keep it around $30k, preferably closer to $25k.

[edit] Nissan Juke maybe? But I worry a little about the safety ratings.

Last edited by CheddarTrek; 03-11-2013 at 04:27 PM.
CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
oldblu65
AF Fanatic

Re: Which Hatchbacks meet these reqs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post
Hey guys.

I've always been an SUV person. My first car was a 2-door GMC Jimmy, then I had a 2-door Blazer, and recently I've been driving a Jeep Cherokee since I got it in 2005.

I loved every one of them. But I'm running into an issue now where I'm commuting a lot more than normal. I'm often on the road 3 hours a day and my Jeep is eating through the gas. I've got to get something with better gas mileage.

As far as I can tell that's going to be a hatchback. If I downsize I might as well go to something fairly small since I rarely have people in the car with me (and I'm not very large).

Vital points in vehicle to consider:
  1. Seats in the back must go all the way down. Not angled. I often pull into rest areas to nap in the car and I need to be able to lay down in the back.
  2. 25-30+ MPG
  3. Not a Hybrid or Electric car. I don't trust them, whether that is stupid or not is beside the point.
  4. Approximately the size of a Camry (which I have been borrowing lately and like the size of). I think most Station Wagons are too large (again, if I'm not getting all the benefits of my Jeep I might as well go smaller). Though I don't want something tiny -- I'd prefer a small 5-door than a 2-door I think, but will consider both.
Pretty sure that's going to end up being a hatchback yeah? I've never heard of any other small vehicle that had the seats going all the way down. The Beetle looked okay but from what I can see the seats don't go all the way down.

But then I know very, very little about cars.

Suggestions? Price isn't a huge deal, but I'd like to keep it around $30k, preferably closer to $25k.

[edit] Nissan Juke maybe? But I worry a little about the safety ratings.
I remember reading ( in some automotive magazine ) when the Honda Fit first came out , that one of the unique features of the car was that the front seat backs ( don't remember if both or only passenger side ) would fold completely flat allowing a person to sit in the rear seat and use the folded front seat as support for your legs ( perhaps even being able to lie flat on your back ? ) . I have not personally tried to verify these claims so I can't say if they are credible ? It might be worth your time to investigate and see if this is true ? Good luck !
CheddarTrek (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
CheddarTrek
AF Newbie

Re: Which Hatchbacks meet these reqs?

Thanks! I'll check into that. I think the Juke has the seats going all the way down too. Haven't heard of any others. Glad to potentially add the Fit to the list though.
CheddarTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A