Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
CHEVYsilveradoSS
AF Newbie

Front end shaking plzz help!!!!

Hello, I heard many great things about the people on this forum and how helpful you folks are so thats why im here. Anyways lets get to it

I have a 2003 chevrolet silverado SS its AWD,auto, mileage:52000

This is the BIG PROBLEM I HAVE, when im on the freeway driving about 45mph and over and I hit a bump or pothole my whole front of my truck feels like its jumping left to right and up and down also at the same time my steering wheel also shakes like crazy. I have to engage in my brake to try to relieve the shaking but it really doesnt help, the shaking stops around 15mph or less. Oh and this only happens when it wants to so it always catches me off guard. I want to hit high speeds on the highway but now im a little weary about it.

This is what I did to fix the problem, i went to sears to get a front end check said my front end looks good, replaced all 4 shocks, and got me a allignment. Well next day I was on the freeway haha and guess what? Yes the same problem came back to haunt me. At this point I had a major migraine. A week later I call my uncles friend he checks it out he shows me that my idler arm is really worn out so he says just change out the pitman arm, idler arm, inner and outer tie rod ends. Then I go and do an allignment again. Bring it out for a spin and it feels fine. Couple weeks later the problem comes back......crazy huh

Plzz help me out thank you very much, im in my own nightmare I love this truck to death I dont want get rid of it because of this problem

Last edited by CHEVYsilveradoSS; 12-20-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Needed to add something
CHEVYsilveradoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
CHEVYsilveradoSS
AF Newbie

Re: Front end shaking plzz help!!!!

What should I change to fix it
CHEVYsilveradoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
maxwedge
A990 racer

There is no quick fix this over the net, sounds like something is still loose in the steering, check the rack or gear box bolts/mounts loose or bad wheel bearings is another possibility, further diagnostics must be done. I assume they properly checked the upper and lower ball joints?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVYsilveradoSS View Post
What should I change to fix it
you have full time AWD ? also do you have a rack steering system ?

with these type vehicles all tires must be the same size ? must be the same wear. this means tire rotation often.

what is the tire condition ? any wear issues ..?

problem is this is very intermittent..normally a worn tie rod or other front end componet would give these issues repeatedly always.

because you have this felt in the steering wheel after hitting a bump it sounds like a steering damper shock defective ...

you got rack steering ?
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
4x4junkie
AF Regular

Check your shocks! A broken or busted shock will cause a vehicle to bounce and shake, may pull sided to side. this would be the simplest thign to check on the vehicle that could cause the problem.
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
4x4junkie
AF Regular

i know it said you had them changed, this doesnt mean the were tightened securely, it is possible they came back loose or bound and didnt tighten correctly.
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

oh, the infamous death wobble!! he-he.. i have whole writeup on this somewhere here.

1. hub bearings!! prolly just one. $170 o'riley's or such, about 20 min job
2. steering idler
3. pitman.

2 and 3 are culprits if you have parallelogram steering; if you have rack'n''pinion, start with hub bearings. on mine, i had to replace idler and driver side hub bearing; plus, i had steering shock installed. been good for over 50K miles so far.

yes, and IT WILL SCARE THE HOLY CRAP OUT OF YOU!. feels like the whole entire front is next to falling apart.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
saturntech
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
you have full time AWD ? also do you have a rack steering system ?

with these type vehicles all tires must be the same size ? must be the same wear. this means tire rotation often.

what is the tire condition ? any wear issues ..?

problem is this is very intermittent..normally a worn tie rod or other front end componet would give these issues repeatedly always.

because you have this felt in the steering wheel after hitting a bump it sounds like a steering damper shock defective ...

you got rack steering ?
he said that he changed the pitman and idler arm, how could he have rack steering??
saturntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
ukrkoz
AF Enthusiast

i got so excited when i read the first paragraph, that i did not read all through.. sorry..

so you do have g'ol paralellogram steering configuration. sorry you had so much replaced on a guess. esp shocks.

check your hub bearings. THERE SHOULD BE NO PLAY. none at all. it's a very large tire. centrifuginal force is huge. slightest play in hub bearing results in tremendous shimmy at the outside tire edge.
ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #10
saturntech
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
i got so excited when i read the first paragraph, that i did not read all through.. sorry..

so you do have g'ol paralellogram steering configuration. sorry you had so much replaced on a guess. esp shocks.

check your hub bearings. THERE SHOULD BE NO PLAY. none at all. it's a very large tire. centrifuginal force is huge. slightest play in hub bearing results in tremendous shimmy at the outside tire edge.
saturntech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturntech View Post
he said that he changed the pitman and idler arm, how could he have rack steering??
this guy has no idea whats up !

this post is most likely a JOKE !

50,OOOMILES and the complete front end is trashed ?
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
end , front , shake
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado