Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
gijmcd
AF Newbie

front bearing - new or junkyard replacement?

1999, v-6 sonata.

Both front (right & left) wheel bearing hub assemblies are on the floor of my garage. The plan was to change them out with junkyard replacements ($50 ea) .

The question is, should I buy new bearings and press them in the hub assemblies - or - just put junkyard replacements in?
gijmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: front bearing - new or junkyard replacement?

How would you know the used bearings are any good? It's a drag to go through all the work of changing them simply to find the used components are bad.

The $50 will pay for new bearings from rockauto.com, so, imo go for new ones.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
gijmcd
AF Newbie

last i looked the oem or the ones i would want to use for replacement were like 150.00.also the junkyard is 2 ball joints and a tie rod - replace the whole assembly.

after market is aprox 50.00 - plus you have to remove that rusted bearing retainer ring out and press the bearing in and out. lot more work.

Also, the word is that the after markets are not worth the effort because of high failure rate.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijmcd View Post
last i looked the oem or the ones i would want to use for replacement were like 150.00.also the junkyard is 2 ball joints and a tie rod - replace the whole assembly.

after market is aprox 50.00 - plus you have to remove that rusted bearing retainer ring out and press the bearing in and out. lot more work.

Also, the word is that the after markets are not worth the effort because of high failure rate.
Rockauto shows 4 different brands at 4 different prices. The cheapest one is a Timkin bearing, which is a very well-established American company and an OEM supplier, for many decades, so I cannot see how rockauto parts can have quality issues.

Furthermore, how can 10 year-old parts so worn the donor car is at a wreckers be any better than new ones?

As for the work...... new parts means its done right, so you will not have to re-do the work again soon. Used bearings is like any other used part..... its a gamble... The used parts have a shorter life than new ones, so you may be re-doing all the work and spending another $50, thus using more time and money than you would have done by simply doing it right in the first place.

But, it sounds like you have already made up your mind, so good luck
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
gijmcd
AF Newbie

well, your right. I did have my mind set as to what I was going tom do. But after pulling them off it was more work than I originally thought so I wanted to make sure I was doing it wright. A while back I had the oem bearing at 150.00 vs 50.00 from the jnkyrd, so i thought it a no brainier.

So thanks for the reply, i was looking for advice and i got some. you sound like you know what your talking about so tomorrow i'll try to get the retainers out ad press some new bearings in.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
gijmcd
AF Newbie

KILLER SITE!!
Never been to Rockauto, easy to use, nice layout, great prices!

Thanks for the advice, today I pushed out the bearings and will order some parts from Rockauto tomorrow.

Although they dont have the retainer clip (Hynd P/N 51718-2D030) that goes for $16.00 ea. so I'll loosen up the belt buckle and go in to the local Hyundia dealer (HUGE) and order some clips and I'll be ROCKIN!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
bearing , bearings , front , hub , spindle
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata