Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 07:39 PM   #1
Ghalieger
AF Newbie

Hello, doing some general research.

First: hello! Thanks for letting me join!

Second: I'm looking for some viewpoints. I'm getting our vehicle situation sorted, got the family SUV fixed, it's running good, so now I'm able to start thinking about selling/trading our Elantra to get something for just me. That leads me to this situation: I want something that's more fun to drive, more comfy to drive, or a combination of the two. I personally have experienced some super fun to drive cars, the most fun car I had was an '06 Mazda 3 i Touring, 2l, 5-speed, that thing was a BLAST to drive, a close second would have to be my '07 Saturn Ion, 2.2l, 5-speed, sedan. That thing ran like a champ. The single most comfortable car I've ever been in was my '91 Cadillac Sedan DeVille. Ideally I'd like to get something that falls somewhere in the realm of fun like the Mazda and comfy like the Caddy, or at least close to it. Above all though: mechanically reliable and reasonably inexpensive to maintain.

So what has everybody experienced? What do you recommend? Not sure if this is an international site, so if it's relevant, I'm in the U.S.

Thanks!!!
Ghalieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghalieger For This Useful Post:
jimjonas9384 (06-20-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 09:16 PM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Hello, doing some general research.

Welcome aboard!

Is this going to be a year-round daily driver, or a seasonal fun car? Being from Oshkosh (originally) I know there would be a difference.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:51 AM   #3
Ghalieger
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie View Post
Welcome aboard!

Is this going to be a year-round daily driver, or a seasonal fun car? Being from Oshkosh (originally) I know there would be a difference.
Hey!! You're really close to me!! I live in Manitowoc. Yes. It will be a year round daily, so obviously FWD or AWD would be preferred, but I'm not afraid of driving a RWD car in snow and ice. I plan on getting a second set of wheels for whatever I run anyway, a nice set with good summer rubber, then run the stock wheels with some Blizzaks or something similar. I am also mechanically inclined. Honestly, I'm something of a gear head, but I've always chose cars that best suited what I needed at the time, generally econoboxes that have at least a little spirit. I don't drive as far to work anymore, so I can trade a little economy for more spirit and/or comfort.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:02 AM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Sounds like a 2010 or newer Ford Taurus SHO might fit your needs (AWD, powerful, good handling for such a large and heavy vehicle, relatively easy to maintain, easy to find parts for, and since it's a Ford most shops will work on it if/when needed). And if you're a bit more into the comfort desire, but still want to be able to have fun, the Lincoln MKS Ecoboost is pretty much a more comfortable version of the SHO but with a lot more features and often for less money than the SHO.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:55 AM   #5
Ghalieger
AF Newbie

@Rod

Those are kinda out of my price range. I'd be looking at straight trading my Elantra, which I last checked goes for about $4500, and I can't find a SHO for less than $12k by me. At least, not one that doesn't need another 2-3k in work to be a good vehicle again. I do really like the SHO, I worked at a Ford dealer as a lube tech, so I've been in a few, they are really nice. I don't think I've seen the MKS with the 3.5 ecoboost, but it's been a hot minute since I've even thought about looking at one. This requires further research.
Old 05-30-2022, 04:53 PM   #6
shorod
SHO No Mo

If you're looking for a straight trade for your Elantra, unless you know that it has something major about to go wrong with it, you're probably better off holding onto it since you know the vehicle's history. With the used car market the way it is right now, something that checks your boxes for $4500 will probably have some significant issues that the seller may not be ready to disclose. Your best bet may be to save your money until the market calms down a bit. Sure, your Elantra may not be worth as much, but the money you will have saved by then might more than offset the difference, and there may be people who have been waiting to get a new car eager to sell their fun car for a good price.

-Rod
Old 05-30-2022, 05:44 PM   #7
Ghalieger
AF Newbie

@shorod

This is a "in the next few months or so" plan. Hence doing research in advance. While I don't think the Elantra will be worth as much later, neither will anything else. I just don't think the SHO or the MKS will ever be in the same range as an Elantra, unless we are talking a late 80's early 90's SHO. I also enjoy those quite a bit. Either way, gathering opinions from owners of various vehicles is a necessary part of the process, magazine articles only do so much. Admittedly, talking to owners only adds so much to that, with the final piece being actually driving the thing. You know? I owner a VW Passat for a bit, VR6, AWD. That thing would scoot, but DAMN, the maintenance cost on it was a bit much. Lesson learned, German automobiles are not for me. I'm also not opposed to older cars, as I have a personal quest to own at least 1 of every of the more common engine configurations, I've got straight 4, V6, and V8 covered, on my list to own are straight 6, flat 4, flat 6, and inline 5, and possibly a V10, if I find the right deal. 😁😁
Old 05-30-2022, 08:43 PM   #8
shorod
SHO No Mo

It sounds like a couple of Subarus or a Volvo would be able to check another engine configuration off your list. And both could be fun and work well in the WI winters.

-Rod
Old 05-30-2022, 09:05 PM   #9
Ghalieger
AF Newbie

Indeed. I do like the Legacy, up until they stopped offering it with 3 pedals. Good Volvo's are hard to come by though. Either the people that have them want to keep them, or the people who are selling them want a butt load of money for them, and if they don't want a butt load of money for it, it's because the vehicle needs a butt load of money to fix it. Lol

Side note, the design of the fifth gen Legacy really just doesn't do it for me. Before and after that I really like, but the seventh gen lacking 3 pedals or even a conventional automatic really kills it for me. I've driven a few with their simuautocvt whatever the hell and it just doesn't do it for me.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:27 PM   #10
shorod
SHO No Mo

CVTs in snowmobiles and UTVs seem to be generally pretty reliable, but in automobiles they tend to be one of the least reliable aspects of the vehicles that have them it seems. I don't fault you for wanting to avoid them.

-Rod
Old 05-31-2022, 09:19 PM   #11
Ghalieger
AF Newbie

Yeah, and it just doesn't feel right. The simulated shifting, or the not shifting at all. I know it's supposed to be a superior trans as far as fuel economy and shit, but they are just garbage from what I've seen. I'd rather have a dct than a cvt.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General