Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 05:43 PM   #1
ka9mgd

vacuum specs-96 buick park avenue 3800

I m only getting 14 lbs on a vacuum gauge for a 3800 vin k engine. I have replaced the upper manifold and gasket and checked all vacuum hoses and also pinched off the vacuum hoses one at a time and the vacuum will not raise. There is a leak in the fuel tank filler neck or hose I noticed the last time I filled the gas tank. Will that leak be causing low vacuum since the tank will not pressurize? I am not getting any computer codes such as a p0441.
ka9mgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:10 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: vacuum specs-96 buick park avenue 3800

No pending codes, how does the car run?
Old 09-09-2022, 07:28 PM   #3
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

I'm guessing that the original post was intended to read "14 inches (of mercury)" vacuum indicated on a gauge. 14 "pounds" would indicate an absolute pressure of less than 0.7 PSIA, which would translate to 28.494" Hg, which nothing but a liquid ring vacuum pump can accomplish reliably.

Factoring the elevation of Connertucky at 803' AMSL and the probable temperature and relative humidity of when the reading was made (early September), the deviations affect the "normal" vacuum indication which would be measured at 68°F, sea level (14.696 PSIA), and 35% R.H. Those adiabatic changes would indicate a 48.87% variation from "standard" numbers.

Incidentally, there are quite a few fairly astute people in Connersville (Howden-Roots) who can explain that in great detail.

The other factor is the engine RPM when the measurement was taken. That is a critical item, and missing from the data.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:58 PM   #4
ka9mgd

Yes I meant 14 inches at idle. The car is running fine. It was hesitating some on slight acceleration going up a hill before cleaning the throttle body and no computer codes are present.
ka9mgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:52 PM   #5
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Some of the Series II Buick V-6 SFI engines had a TSB applicable to this phenomenon.

Since the PCM does not monitor fuel pressure, it may also be beneficial to measure that. Marginally weak secondary ignition components can also be involved. Excessively wide spark plug gaps, failing/high resistance plug wires, and coil secondary breakdown can create this kind of situation.

There is also potentially torque converter clutch lag, low primary voltage, and other causes described in the service bulletin.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue