Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Elantra | Avante
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #1
haataja334
AF Newbie

2013 Elantra, should I get a battery replacement or jump-boost?

Okay, I hope it's the right place to ask, I'm not car-savvy, so I recently got an oil change, and after doing a courtesy check, the mechanics stated that I should get my battery replaced. They didn't seem to say or indicate that the issue was a non-battery issue (such as alternator), but more-so the battery was in a state where my vehicle may start (and has), but the battery may end up failing soon, especially in extreme temperatures.

I'm wondering, should I spend the money to get that replacement, or if a jump boost and portable power source will help recharge that. I do have jumper cables and other essentials in the trunk.

So in other words, my battery hasn't died, or left me in a state where the vehicle won't start, was able to drive to and from the auto mechanic without incident, but is in danger of of dying. Mechanics told me, it's okay to use for now when asked them if it was gonna die on my way home.

I am using a loaner vehicle, I'm a college student relying on loaners from parents (who live far away), and the loaner/legal owner is one of those people that would only go for the replacement as an "absolute last resort", I guess I'm sort of inheriting that mindset to get auto-enthusiasts' insights as to what options I may have - before I have to inevitably give him the news that I had to have the battery replaced.

I always use the bus in my area and never really drive. Really, going for an oil change is probably the most I ever use it or occasional drive-arounds when traffic is little to none.

Unfortunately, my go-to style of commuting has left my car sitting idle for a long while in the cold weather (since literally, none of my daily obligations ever requires driving) but yes, I'm aware that this will negatively effect the battery which I feel - judging from what the mechanics told me, is the reason why my battery is kinda bonkers right now. They didn't outright "say" that's that reason, but seems implied based on their findings and recommendation.

I will probably end up changing that commuting habit a bit, regardless of what choice I make - just enough to benefit battery life and performance.

But back to the question, recommend that I just go for that replacement or can a jump boost fix the issue?
haataja334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2013 Elantra, should I get a battery replacement or jump-boost?

First how old is your battery?
Most of the Autoparts stores will load test your battery and charging system for free. Not sure how the oil change place determined you need a battery.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #3
Rose Henry
AF Newbie

Usually Car batteries can last between 3-5 years, but it also depends on the type of battery installed in your car. And yeah, we also need to reconsider your driving habits. Some of the possible signs that you need to change the battery are dim headlights, backfiring, or clicking sound when turning on the ignition key.
Rose Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:58 PM   #4
haataja334
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekat View Post
First how old is your battery?
Most of the Autoparts stores will load test your battery and charging system for free. Not sure how the oil change place determined you need a battery.
It was Firestone, they determined it during a free courtesy system checks. I gotta reach out to my folks to see how old battery is.
haataja334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:35 AM   #5
khanmdbashar20
AF Newbie

After three years, it's normally time to install a replacement. After four or five years, most car batteries will be almost completely unreliable. Old car batteries can present a number of safety and reliability issues. Luckily, it's easy to identify if your car's battery is nearing the end of its lifespan.
khanmdbashar20 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2013 , battery , elantra , hyundai , maintenance
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Elantra | Avante