Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Outback
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #1
subarucurious
AF Newbie

Question Outback's Low JD Powers Ratings

I am very much interested in buying an Outback (both for reliability and handling in the snow), but the J.D. Powers ratings for all models of Outbacks are pretty poor. Performance usually rates a 2 (out of 5) and Mechanical usually rates a 3 (out of 5). Any feed back on this? Thanks a lot.
subarucurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #2
mrfixit64857
AF Regular

Re: Outback's Low JD Powers Ratings

ya know, 6 years Ive had this car and it has only had a bearing on the right rear axle replaced, outside of regular tune-up and brakes, tires, etc... Maybe I just got a good one? lol....
Old 02-28-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
BlueRoo'02
AF Newbie

I once had the same question you had as I was planning to buy a new Camry back in '92. Well things unfolded where I could only afford a used '91 Legacy..it was the best thing for me as it turned out. I have only owned Subarus since then, ranging from my $12,000 1991 Legacy to a $35,000 1992 SVX and two Outbacks a new 1997 Outback Limited and then my 2002 Outback. There is no better deal for the money (assuming you don't over pay). Look at IIHS.com for saftey info, they are the best. If you like it after a good test drive and like the dealership then its a no brainer.

Good luck!
BlueRoo'02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
tfret
AF Newbie

I'm looking at Outbacks too, and like you, notice a lot of negative reviews on edmunds.com. But everyone I talk to says they love them. Did you buy one and are you pleased with it? Are they truly a reliable and dependable car that will last for many years? That is what I'm looking for.
Thanks
tfret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:33 AM   #5
union avenue
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfret
I'm looking at Outbacks too, and like you, notice a lot of negative reviews on edmunds.com. But everyone I talk to says they love them. Did you buy one and are you pleased with it? Are they truly a reliable and dependable car that will last for many years? That is what I'm looking for.
Thanks
I have a 98 Outback that I love so much I replaced the engine at 135K. (There were several years that had cylinder head gasket and cracked cylinder problems) Only time will tell if I made the right choice.
union avenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
hrhsb
AF Newbie

I also bought used 91 legacy - my 1st subaru. Car NEVER needed anything but oil and tires - drove it 150K then my wife surprised me with a new 2000 Outback. I think the 91 had lots of miles left but body (paint, etc.) may have been the life limiters.

The 2000 Outback has had more problems - perennial issue with the ECS stuff. It runs good, already have 120K on it - think it should make 200K Lord willing. Body stuff is much better with the 2000 -

FYI I think the all-the-time 4 wheel drive on the Outback is the best. I once encountered miles of stuck SUVs in a 8" snowstorm. Me in the Outback and a Hummer passed them all on the shoulder and kept on going. Kids will never forget that one.

Good luck!
hrhsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
1122union
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by union avenue
I have a 98 Outback that I love so much I replaced the engine at 135K. (There were several years that had cylinder head gasket and cracked cylinder problems) Only time will tell if I made the right choice.
I did the same and so far I have not regretted it. In looking at newer cars I think I would still have to go with the Outback as there isn't anything directly comparable.

RK
1122union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
MalibuBob
AF Newbie

We're on our second Outback, this one being a '99 25th anniversary model with around 84K on it. Our first one was a late 80's Loyale wagon. Both were/are very reliable, and what I consider "bullet-proof" with few problems. My only gripes (and they're small ones) is that the 2.5L 4 cylinder in the current one is a tad underpowered, and I think new ones are priced a bit high. BUT, they do seem to last forever. Our next car will probably also be an Outback.
MalibuBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
Art's Auto
AF Newbie

My wife and I have owned a series of Subaru's (81 GL, 89GL, 95 Legacy, 00 Outback) because we live with snow and ice every winter. They've all been great, and starting with the '95 they started being competitive with "real" cars from Honda and Toyota as far as comfort and handling are concerned. Before that we bought because of 4x4/AWD and put up with poor acceleration and handling.

That said, our most recent Outback has the piston slap noise when cold (only a problem in the winter when it's really cold). And you have to keep up with the cooling system stop leak additive. My son has an '01 Legacy that doesn't have piston slap, but is leaking coolant at the head gasket interface.

I think the cars are great and can run forever. But I'll bet they get black marks for piston slap issues, and the stop leak fix for the head gasket problem was just a poor "fix" - disappointing.

Art
Art's Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
freakray
AF Modelrater

Art,

The head gasket issue was common on certain models from '98 through '01, more prevalent on the DOHC engine though.

As for "piston slap", it's an inherent quality of boxer engines, they all experience it when they're cold. It's only inexperienced or uneducated people that will give a boxer engine from 2000 negative marks for having a little piston slap.

BTW, there was a recall on head gaskets - did you have all the recalls performed?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #11
MalibuBob
AF Newbie

We're not having any head gasket or coolant problems with our '99 2.5L engine w/84K miles on it. As a matter of fact, nothing leaks from it at all.
Our 80's era Loyale wagon had some oil leakage problems, but they turned out to be somewhat related to the synthetic oil I was using at the time. Seems that the combination of very slick synthetic oil and the horizontally opposed engine caused the oil to just ooze through the head gaskets when the engine wasn't running. Since the owners manual contained no prohibition on using synthetic oil, Subaru covered the head gaskets under warranty. After that (and not using synthetic oil), the problem never reappeared.
MalibuBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
bertmaster2000
AF Newbie

Arrow Re: Outback's Low JD Powers Ratings

i just thought i would throw in my $0.02.

I own a 1997 Outback Limited wagon with the 2.5l 4-cyl engine. I bought it used but in excellent condition with 117K miles and it had head gasket failure at 134K miles. i ended up pouring $3K into it replacing the head gaskets and a bunch of other parts/fluids. I plan to keep it until at least 200K miles to get the most out of my investment.

I bought my wife a 2001 Outback Eddie Bauer wagon with the 3.0l 6-cyl about one year ago. She has only driven it for about 12K miles of a total of 112K on the car. I already like it much better than my older Outback. It runs, shifts and rides much smoother and I swear it is larger on the interior. I went with the 6-cyl in her car to avoid potential head gasket failure.

One more thing, my car and hers both get almost identical mileage: 20 mpg around town and 25 on the highway...that's during an Alaskan winter loaded with three kids and a dog...not bad considering the full-time AWD.

The heated leather seats are a huge plus, too!
bertmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
bebobullet
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Outback's Low JD Powers Ratings

I am on my third Subaru Outback. I live in Alaska. I drive on icy roads 6 months out of the year in the dark in moose country. If you can find a better cold weather vehicle that is more reliable than the Subaru please let me know.

My first Subaru, an 84, I put 100,000 miles on it and never did anything but the regular scheduled maintenance. My 2001 had the infamous 2.5 with the leaking head gaskets. I replaced the head gaskets at 95,000 miles. I've never even replaced a shock on this vehicle and it has 195,000 miles on it. I traded it for my 2012.
bebobullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #14
dparsons01
AF Newbie

Looking at this old post - 2005 original year - at that time Subaru was in the middle of its 10+ year streak of the head gaskets leaking frequently. Subaru EARNED poor reliability by putting sub-par gaskets in their engines and not addressing the problem for a decade.

Performance: 0 to 60 in just under 10 seconds. Barely fast enough to be considered safe for getting on the freeway under normal conditions. I'm sure your city has on-ramps that are sub-par and require a car faster than minimally adequate for safe.
dparsons01 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Outback