Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > Tribute
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
sao1burgs
AF Newbie

04 tribute stalls when applying brake to put into gear

04 mazda tribute will start fine but when stepping on brake to place into gear cars stalls. car will start back up, but has the same result.
sao1burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: 04 tribute stalls when applying brake to put into gear

1) How many miles are on your tribute?
2) Is there a Check Engine Light on?
It sounds like a vacuum leak.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
sao1burgs
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
1) How many miles are on your tribute?
2) Is there a Check Engine Light on?
It sounds like a vacuum leak.
about 80,000 miles, no check engine light. could it be the pcv valve?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Will the SUV idle fine with, or without the air cond?
Doe's the gas pedal feel like it's sticking?

PCV gases might contaminated the brake booster.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
Tony Silva
AF Regular

Ok, heres some words that could actually mean something....REMOVE THE BRAKE SWITCH AND CLEAN ALL THE CONTACT TERMINAL PINS. -----Ya know, long gone are the days when pressing the brake pedal only turns on the brake lights.Nowadays, that pedal does a whole lot more. It allows you to shift out of park, it allows the ABS system to recieve power to actually do its job, it dis enguages the cruise control system, it even controls some valves related to the emissions system. Yes , the brake switch needs attention
Tony Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Tony Silva
AF Regular

Ok, forget about a vacuum leak and forget about the pcv valve and never mind the mileage, oh and forget about the check engine light too. ok?...ok. ........So... the motor stalls when you press the gas pedal...2004 Madza Tribute...AKA what??? Ford Escape or something like that. Any how, Fords are very troublesome and problematic vehicles, if it ain't the tranny goin' out on thier front wheel drive cars then its the electrical systems going bad in thier SUV's and if it ain't that then its the cooling system with thier full size cars. ANYHOW if you haven't noticed, I am a little PARTIAL to disliking Ford, Ford related products and generally any person named Henry J..........WELL.... The brakes are not the problem, nor is the problem any thing mechanical. What....and where the problem is....is....(follow along with me here...) the problem is with the brake pedal lever switch. The brake pedal....well the arm that the pedal is welded to has an electrical plug and socket...kinda like a progressive switch so-to-speak........similar to that of an electric trailer brake...Any how, what you need to do is pull the plug connector off the brake switch....the brake switch is physically attatched to the brake pedal arm...pull it off.....clean the contacts....reassemble it and see if that fixed your problem. If not, then buy a new switch...........Long gone are the days when pushing the brake pedal would make the brake lights come on...........Now-a-days pressing the brake pedal does alot...it allows 12 volts of power to be sent to the ABS brakes should the system ever sense a need to become activated, it also places the cruise control in stand by mode (if you are using that system), It also informs the ecu that you are pressing the the brake thus the engine will be lowering in RPM's thus the ecm will open/close/adjust certain paremeters in its little brain as programmed by the factory. Also the brake pedal is an instrument used by the cars SRS (airbag system) and computer to calculate whether or not the operator is aware at the very instant that a collision has happened thus, progressively inflating the airbags according to the predetermined values set forth by the specific vehicle manufacturer and or the federal department of transportation. Oh yeah, the brake pedal also turns on the brake lights. just my $0.02
Old 09-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
Tony Silva
AF Regular

ESPECIALLY if its a HYBRID gas/electric vehicle........the brake pedal does way more than should be asked to.......turning on and off the energizer of the power generator for battery bank junk...........Never buy ford products...........Hmmm the year 2004, didn't ford just ditch a crap load of money into trying to figure why certain DIFFERENT vehicles of thiers were having similar problems??????????????? Cracked manifolds on thier excursions....electrical problems on the taurus,,,tranny problems on the explorers, Mountaineers, rangers and oh, hey the MAZDA Navajo.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

It sounds like starving for air & stall, the throttle plate is closed.
Putting on the brakes or ABS, the brake booster will use vacuum, thus causing to stall.
The Incoming Air control (IAC), could be dirty, thus causing the stall.
All of the Intake PCV emissions could of contaminated the IAC.

The IAC will bump up the idle when the air cond is on, you probably won't notice
the RPM change, but trying putting the brakes on with the air cond on.

Mileage + age doe's play a big factor, because of the rubber, plastic, and gaskets do
go bad, because of heat + Age.

Do a Google ''Youtube Auto smoke vacuum test''
Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
TRINI55
AF Newbie

Fix Or Repair Daily. or ????????
TRINI55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
Tony Silva
AF Regular

ok, true enough about vacuum leak causing the stall to happen. Try starting the SUV let it run for 10 seconds...turn off the motor...press the brake pedal and listen for a hissing sound like air escaping from an untied childs balloon. No sound means there isnt a vacuum leak on inside of the vehicle...talkin bout the brake booster diaphram leaking air thru the firewall brake pedal push rod boot. Next, pop the hood and pull out the vacuum hose on the booster, you should hear lots of air movement.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
sao1burgs
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Silva View Post
ok, true enough about vacuum leak causing the stall to happen. Try starting the SUV let it run for 10 seconds...turn off the motor...press the brake pedal and listen for a hissing sound like air escaping from an untied childs balloon. No sound means there isnt a vacuum leak on inside of the vehicle...talkin bout the brake booster diaphram leaking air thru the firewall brake pedal push rod boot. Next, pop the hood and pull out the vacuum hose on the booster, you should hear lots of air movement.
I will check all those suggestions out. The funny thing is that it has not happened since.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #12
Caterer
AF Newbie

I recently bought an 04 Tribute LX and though it seems to be running fine, I have noticed every now and again the balloon whistling sound from the brake pedal area. At least it seems to be coming from there, I'm usually driving at the time and neither limber enough or stupid enough to take my attention away from the road that long to tell for sure. I plan to get a Haynes manual in the next few weeks, but I have to wonder, as long a it's still running well, should I worry about it? Is it a portent of something that could lead to a catastrophic failure or strand me on the roadside somewhere?

Much thanks,

Mark
Caterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Caterer
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterer View Post
I recently bought an 04 Tribute LX and though it seems to be running fine, I have noticed every now and again the balloon whistling sound from the brake pedal area. At least it seems to be coming from there, I'm usually driving at the time and neither limber enough or stupid enough to take my attention away from the road that long to tell for sure. I plan to get a Haynes manual in the next few weeks, but I have to wonder, as long a it's still running well, should I worry about it? Is it a portent of something that could lead to a catastrophic failure or strand me on the roadside somewhere?

Much thanks,

Mark
Bump.
Caterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Just fixed a PCV cankcase tube, causing unmetered air leaks,see
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?t=1040810
It would stall, and throw A DTC P0171!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #15
bbutchart63
AF Newbie

We had problems of stalling on our 2001 Tribute when leaving the yard and down the road and applying brakes at the stop sign. I took the idle air control out and I see there is a plunger or valve on the inside with a shaft to the electical end. I gave it a shot of WD40, so far problem solved.
In meantime I did buy a new Idle Air Control (IAC) just in case, haven't needed it yet.
bbutchart63 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > Tribute