Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Z0rb
AF Newbie

2002 4.6L may be siezed up? Please help

Hello All,

I am working on what I believe is a 2002 Ford Crown Vic Police car 4.6l with over 100K miles on it. The codes that I pulled off are p303 and p304 cylinder misfires. The story goes as follows. The driver was on the highway and started hearing a loud screeching noise. The CEL light stated flashing. Once off the highway he was trying to get to a parking lot and the car just died.

I headed out late last night and pushed him into a nearby parking lot. The next morning we headed out to the parking lot to assess the problem.The battery was low but still had a charge. I had him try and turn the car over. I saw the battery discharging on the gauge and I heard one loud click where the starter solenoid was engaging but nothing is turning. When I looked at the engine while the driver was trying to turn it over I saw a little displacement on the serpentine but not much. At this point I broke out the tow straps and towed it home.

Later today I charged the battery fully something like 13.6 volts was the reading. I popped the serpentine belt off and made sure all of the pulleys spun ok. I attempted to move the crank but could not. I was not sure if because this was a V8 (used to working on nothing bigger than a side mount V6), I just did not have the strength to turn it. All the fluids are OK, oil, coolant. Nothing seemed to be leaking, but when I tried moving the crank with a wrench and a lever I could not budge it.

I guess my question is. Is there a way to turn the crank to make sure nothing is seized up on the inside. Also the method that I used to attempt to turn the crank, how hard should I have to pull to move it? As silly as is my sound should I just put the thing in gear and try to push it with another vehicle to see if it move then?

Any thoughts on this? I was approaching this as if I just needed to check plugs and coil packs.

Any input would be great, because I am not sure what the next step should be.
Thanks
Mike T.
Z0rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Re: 2002 4.6L may be siezed up? Please help

sounds lik it is locked if you cant turn harmotic at all but i'd still pull starter and have a look at it maybe wedged in there but i really doubt it but i'd atleast have a look at it.

good luck...
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Pull the plugs to see if you can rotate the engine. By relieving any compression you should be able to spin it quite easily. If you can not turn it, it is most likely the engine siezed. Another possibility (way down on the list) is the transmission locked up.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion

How are you turning the harmonic dampener? I trust you are using a breaker bar. I can turn my crank using a breaker bar with the plugs in place but it is difficult. Plugs removed and it doesn't take a whole lot of force. If you're not using a breaker bar, I don't think you'll get enough leverage with anything else.

Is there oil in the sump? If not, it probably is seized. If there is oil than it should be okay. Even if it overheated, you should have a cracked cylinder head gasket at the worst, not a seized engine.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
- 119k / 14.89s @ 92.11MPH [ pictures | videos ]
> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms
> CVPI aluminum driveshaft

Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote