Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

Problem with Revell-USA Ferrari California release

I recently purchased two of these kits, and in both kits the windshield frames were bent and the thin strip of bumper below the front grill was slightly misshaped, at least compared to the Revell-Germany Closed Top release. In one of the kits, the body is slightly warped too. Anyone else noticed these problems? My closed top kit is perfect.
BVC500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
73superduty
Lost in plastic

Send a message via AIM to 73superduty
Re: Problem with Revell-USA Ferrari California release

I've read this problem on another board as well. I heard Revell was looking into it.
Best bet is to contact customer support.
Good Luck.
Chris
73superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

Thanks! Yeah, I just wrote Revell and let them know that I think the plastic bag is wrapped too tight around the body, and since there is no support for the frame, the frame gets compressed.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVC500 View Post
Thanks! Yeah, I just wrote Revell and let them know that I think the plastic bag is wrapped too tight around the body, and since there is no support for the frame, the frame gets compressed.
I know at least one person who provided them photographic evidence of the tight bag causing the problem, and they were sent a new body. This is a known issue, so don't delay in contacting them.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Eric Cole
AF Enthusiast

I have the same problem with the USA Open Top version I recently bought, bent windshield frame... grrrrr.
Of course, when I bought the Revell of Germany closed top version it didn't even have a car body in the box!

Other Model Pictures Here:
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/justdande/
Eric Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
73superduty
Lost in plastic

Send a message via AIM to 73superduty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1_2003 View Post
I have the same problem with the USA Open Top version I recently bought, bent windshield frame... grrrrr.
Of course, when I bought the Revell of Germany closed top version it didn't even have a car body in the box!
My closed top didn't have the wheels! LOL
Chris
73superduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
Eric Cole
AF Enthusiast

Chris, you can have my wheels... lol

Old 07-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1_2003 View Post
You need to change your handle, Mr. Cayman_S _2008 Hope I got the year right

Did your Cali CV come from that same hobby shop in Indiana where you've got such a stellar record of purchases of Revell products?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Eric Cole
AF Enthusiast

LOL... I was wondering earlier today how to change my screen name. You're close on the year, mine's a 2007.

Nope, different hobby shop. I spoke to the manager of that hobby shop last time I was there (hadn't planned on going so didn't have the kits to return) and he said he would let me return them next time I come in.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

FYI, Revell got back to me and said, "Although the windshield pillars on the 85-4291 Ferrari California Open Top may look distorted at first glance while the body is still in its plastic bag, the windshield pillars are probably NOT warped! Before placing a replacement parts request, make one simple test – place the #78 windshield on the body, and see if it fits. Our research has found that the pillars have an extremely fast rake, and by taping the windshield in place, it fits perfectly!"

Fine enough, but the pillars were still bent from the bag being too tightly wrapped and having no support. Although the 1:1 car has a fast rake, the pillars don't have curvature, but mine did because they were bent. Placing the windshield in may correct the bent pillars, hopefully.

I've also noticed that my two Revell-USA releases have quite a lot of sink marks along the rear fenders, rear bumper, trunklid and front fenders compared to my Revell-Germany closed-top kit.

Here you can see the "fast rake" of the convertible.

Areas of sink marks on the convertible. You can also see a couple areas on the front fenders. Coupe has a couple spots, but not as numerous as convertibles.

Last edited by BVC500; 09-07-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #11
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

To Revell's credit, they did respond quickly and with a solution. Just a little puzzled as to why they didn't think to put a plastic support in the convertible's windshield (coupe had one) and why there are so many more sink marks in the convertible, especially around sensitive areas with character lines. I've been penciling and taping the character lines as I fill and sand so that I don't sand away detail.

This is not meant to be a WIP thread, just helpful info for AFers working on the California.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Quote:
To Revell's credit, they did respond quickly and with a solution. Just a little puzzled as to why they didn't think to put a plastic support in the convertible's windshield (coupe had one) and why there are so many more sink marks in the convertible, especially around sensitive areas with character lines. I've been penciling and taping the character lines as I fill and sand so that I don't sand away detail.

This is not meant to be a WIP thread, just helpful info for AFers working on the California.
I recently built a Revell AG Ferrari 612, the original issue. Amazingly it had a perfectly straight hood. It also had a lot of sink marks/mold lines, but then I saw one molded for the US; the body had a lot worse sink marks. I guess they run the molds faster and more sloppily for the cheaper US issues. That wasn't the case when I built a Superamerica, but the 612 sure looked inferior and the California is proving to be problematic. The plastic in these kits is usually malleable enough to be bent back into shape, and the windscreen should help. Sink marks...that's simply a problem with a too-thick section and if they run the machines too fast, sink marks are more of a problem.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

...and I just noticed two more small sink marks on the horizontal part of the rear bumper below the license plate and right above the two innermost parking sensors. Yay, more filling and sanding.

This is what modeling skills are for!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Quote:
This is what modeling skills are for!
Patience also it seems..
May the putty force be with you!

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #15
BVC500
AF Enthusiast

Many sinkholes (some in painfully inaccessible places like the fender vents) and warped hoods later, I have finished painting and polishing the bodies. All Zero finishes with 2k clear. One convertible is Azzurro California, the other is Rosso Fuoco, and the coupe was supposed to be Blu Elletrico, but I think Zero messed up, as it looks more TDF blue than the cobalt tri-coat blue that it was supposed to be. I even undercoated it in silver.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling