Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
E46nm52
AF Regular

Porsche 935 "Martini"

Starting this simple kit which a friend gave me. It's a curbside kit with no engine details, and even the wheels are not see through. I think this was a kit intended for an electric motor in the old days. Still not sure if I should put in the driver, but here are some test fit photos. At first I thought it isn't pretty with the flatnose, but the shape is growing on me. Certain angles look pretty awesome from the front. I think the decals will be a challenge, but that's about it.

E46nm52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 AM   #2
E46nm52
AF Regular

Re: Porsche 935 "Martini"

Small update with photos. Body deepen panel lines, removed mold lines, primed with Tamiya White Fine Primer.

Added front and rear of the hood panel lines, which were strangely absent from the kit. Got carry away on some area, but it's ok.

Also added panel lines to the rear hatch.

Ran out of gray primer, need to order a can or two, old can just enough to prime the seat and the rollbar. Painted seat with matt black, and rollbar with gun metal.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
E46nm52
AF Regular

Small update on interior and wheels.

Interior got painted in gun metal. Hand painted head rest on roll cage. Side door panels got painted as well. Shifter is glued on. The seat got painted on the back. Next will be adding seat-belts and the dash.

Wheels got painted gold in the center, then hand painted matte black inside since it is one solid wheel. Then slowly using a cloth wrapped on a tip of a small flat screwdriver, with thinner, slowly remove the excess reviewing the gold rim.

The chassis got painted semi-gloss black. The kit is not very detailed, the engine is just molded on in the back. Still thinking should I paint the engine.

I really don't have much references of this car. If anyone find some, please share. I have been looking at this post from another forum for references, the builder did a good job on it. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/t...-lots-of-pics/
Old 02-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
E46nm52
AF Regular

Chassis update. I did paint the engine and few parts. I think the manual is wrong where it says the chassis is black, but I think it's should be white.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:58 AM   #5
puffyrs
AF Regular

Coming on well
puffyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
E46nm52
AF Regular

Thanks. More work done over the long weekend. Base coat on with Tamiya TS-26 pure white, front chin spoiler with Tamiya red (forgot which one).

Started putting on decals. Here is the giant rear wing. Decals went on pretty well. It's an old kit, but it was remanufactured just few years ago.

Here are couple decals on the car.

Also made some progress for the interior. Dash is done, gauges had drops of clear to simulate glass. Also drilled holes on spokes of the steering wheel, which came solid, weird.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
stratos75
Loser

Good job! Nice wheels and dash board.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:33 PM   #8
E46nm52
AF Regular

Body decals completed. Tamiya decals went on really well. The cuts were perfect for the shapes. There are only few places I had to touch up the decals gaps.

Clear coats will be next. I usually use Mr. Hobby Super Clear Gloss, but I have a can of Tamiya TS-13, and I am thinking to use it this time. I have read somewhere that TS-13 is a really hot lacquer for decals, but some say it's ok, just few mist coats first and decals will be fine, which I had to do with Mr. Hobby Super Clear Gloss anyway. Any experiences with TS-13 over Tamiya decals? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #9
PyroSafe
AF Newbie

Its look so nice! What lotion decals you use?
PyroSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PyroSafe For This Useful Post:
E46nm52 (04-11-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
E46nm52
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroSafe View Post
Its look so nice! What lotion decals you use?
Thanks. I used micro-set first for setting the decals in place, and micro-sol to bend to shape if I couldn't shape it after applying medium heat from a hair dryer.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:43 AM   #11
E46nm52
AF Regular

Dunlop tire markings done.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #12
The 5th Horseman
AF Newbie

Hey E46 ... regarding TS13 over tamiya decals : as long as you are not a complete barbarian about it, you should be OK especially after you did all the prep work on the body correctly (primer then TS26 on top etc.) and the decals are fresh. Go lightly on the first two coats and then apply one or two wet coats. What I do with clear coats from a can is to spray the mist coats with the airbrush (that involves decanting of course). That way i have more control, and then spray the final coats directly from the can to get a deep shine. Good luck !
The 5th Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #13
E46nm52
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 5th Horseman View Post
Hey E46 ... regarding TS13 over tamiya decals : as long as you are not a complete barbarian about it, you should be OK especially after you did all the prep work on the body correctly (primer then TS26 on top etc.) and the decals are fresh. Go lightly on the first two coats and then apply one or two wet coats. What I do with clear coats from a can is to spray the mist coats with the airbrush (that involves decanting of course). That way i have more control, and then spray the final coats directly from the can to get a deep shine. Good luck !
Thanks for great tips. I don't have an airbrush, but I will definitely go light on the first couple coats. I will report back. Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #14
E46nm52
AF Regular

Update. Cleared, polished, and waxed. Really like TS-13. It went on without damaging the decals. Some area is hard to polish, but I think I did the best I could. Next steps, panel lines and black window trims.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:56 AM   #15
E46nm52
AF Regular

It's mostly done. Here are work since last update.

Added seat belts.

Completed interior with dash.

Window trims and wheels on chassis. Put in 1mm spacer for the front wheels so they are more flush with the fenders. Also made front wheels with a little negative camber.

Added left over mesh in various ducts. Side duct meshes were painted in red, but they are hard to see against the white background.

Finally, mated the interior, chassis, and body together.

The way the front wheels are actually screw on was weak on this dated kit.

Again, because this kit was from old tooling, even the clear plastics are not clear and they are wavey.

Front wheels flush with fender after spacer.

Just few more things left. Paint the rear center of the wheel nut silver. Touch up the wheels with gold paint. Install side mirrors, rear lights. The real car has a white mesh in front of the intake area, still don't know what to do about it since the kit doesn't come with one.

Next time, should be just finishing photos. Cheers.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports