Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
double_ought2
AF Newbie

2005 F150 P0171 and P0174 codes

Just changed all the plugs in my 2005 F150 4x4. Now throwing these lean codes. Checked all the vacuum lines, replaced the fuel filter, and cleaned the MAF sensor. Idling and running bad . Was running fairly good before the plug change except for an occasional stutter at accelaration at road speed.

would apppreciate any suggestions.
double_ought2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2005 F150 P0171 and P0174 codes

In a Ford the most common cause is dirty MAF sensor. Since you cleaned it, maybe it is going bad. Search youtube for videos on how to test a MAF sensor.
Next is vacuum leak from PCV line or intake. The PCV line has a foam insulator over most of its length and I've seen a couple snap in half mid way but aren't visible.
Intake leak can be found out as an example in this video water testing in the last half of it, skip past the first half if you don't have a scanner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-on2hbYUCc
Next is problems with the EGR. You changed the plugs, but the COP's may have gone bad for multiple cylinders. These are just a few of the things that can end up pulling those codes. The fuel pump could be going out with intermittent loses or the fuel pump driver module might have corroded out the back side.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 65comet For This Useful Post:
double_ought2 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
double_ought2
AF Newbie

Re: 2005 F150 P0171 and P0174 codes

Thanks. I've already ordered a new MAF sensor and will try that next. Do you think the COP's would have gotten bad after changing the plugs? I have one new one and tried it in the bank 2 side one at a time. Made no difference, but it wouldn't if more than one is bad.
Well if the MAF sensor doesn't fix it I'll try a fuel pressure check next. Thanks for your reply 65comet.
double_ought2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series