Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > S Coupe
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
chevyrulespops
AF Regular

want to adjust timing cant find ground terminal

I need to adjust the timing on my 1994 hyundai scoupe but I cant seem to find the timing ground terminal in order to hook up a timing light. Does anyone know what it looks like and most importantly where its located?
chevyrulespops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
chevyrulespops
AF Regular

Re: want to adjust timing cant find ground terminal

ok well according to the manual, the J 1.5 engine comes with a timing ground terminal so I'm assuming that my E 1.5 doesnt come with that grounding terminal but im confused because i thought the computer would adjust timing via all the sensors given that it's a multi port fuel injection system. Anyone have any ideas before I go timing away?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
chevyrulespops
AF Regular

im sure there's a terminal either at the diagnostic link or other location. does anybody have a clue?
Old 11-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Scrapper
AF Premium User

i would think because that means the ground to battery. because using a timing light has two clips on it for battery because one is red one is black and the other goes on number one cyl wire. hope this helps....

Last edited by Scrapper; 11-13-2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: meaning cliped on battery
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
jsinton
AF Enthusiast

There shouldn't be an issue as far as getting the timing light to work. Like the man said: Red wire to + side of battery, Black wire to - side of battery. Inductive wire clamps around spark plug wire #1 near the spark plug if possible. You should get a reading. The rub is that you can't adjust timing, as there is no distributor in the traditional sense, it's all computer controlled.
jsinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
chevyrulespops
AF Regular

I'm even more confused now. The car has a distributor and a computer. If you look in the manual for most hyundai's of this year there should be a ground terminal, a wire sticking out somewhere, as per the manual. This wire must be ground to a ground source before any timing adjustments are made per the manual. Even my Ram Jet 350 crate motor which has a tiny computer has to be grounded before making any timing adjustments. You have to connect a diagnostic connector, which will let you bypass the computer. I believe maybe my original question became cloudy or I didnt word it correctly. This might be a job for hyundai. I cant find the wire that needs to be grounded. I know how to put a timing light on the car.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
DrtBikDave
AF Newbie

I don"t know why those guys are answering your post since they obviously haven't a clue what your talking about. Anyways Mitchell on demand says hyundai doesn't provide timing information for this engine in the "engine performance section" but in the component locator it says there should be one on the left front engine compartment by the battery.

The grounding terminal disables computer adjustment of the timing so you can set a base timing. this way the computer has a starting point to know how much to advance or retard the timing.
DrtBikDave is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > S Coupe