Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Previa
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
kaufman
AF Newbie

Unable to Remove No.2 Idler Pulley (Supercharger)

I have a 1995 LE S/C and I have been unable to remove the No. 2 Idler Pulley from the Supercharger belt path. I have removed the top nut, and the snap ring but the pulley, bearing and spacer/grommet will not give. The assembly doesn't turn more than about a quarter of an inch either way.

I was under the assumption that this just slipped on over the adjustment bolt, but now I'm wondering if its threaded on, or pressed on.

Further, in my vast search of the web for more info, I've been unable to find a replacement Idler Pulley Assembly. Any thoughts on this? Where can one be had? Is this a trip to the junkyard? Reason they are unavailable?

Any help appreciated....
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
kaufman
AF Newbie

Re: Unable to Remove No.2 Idler Pulley (Supercharger)

I have made some other progress. According to the pictures on the Toyota dealer's database, the pulley is identified as part no. 16604A, and this looks like the assembly including the bearing, snap-ring, grommet and proprietary shaft. They want 93.00.

A simple google search matches this 16604A to 16604-76010, however, all suppliers call it "SPRING (FOR IDLER PULLEY TENSION)2TZFZE..TCR10, TCR20"

There is no "spring" in, on or around this part. Trust me....

Still determining if the part is pressed on, or just frozen from age and corrosion/rust.

I guess the downside is that to use a pressed pulley puller, I have to remove several more parts. Ugh.

I have uploaded a parts image in the files section of the Yahoo Previa group. Pulley 16604A is at the bottom, just over half way to the right side of the image.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
kaufman
AF Newbie

Re: Unable to Remove No.2 Idler Pulley (Supercharger)

No amount of prying, tapping, smacking, or soaking with fluid was going to break this free.

It's not a "pressed on" pulley, but it might as well have been. I was finally able to remove it with a pulley puller after removing the radiator, shroud and fan.

Now I have a new pulley on the way and I should be back on the road Monday!

Part 16604-76010 includes the pulley, bearings, snap ring, brass grommet, bearing cover and nut. Does not include the bolt.